Noonie

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:40 pm

@Ethan Kurland , we’ll said!
Victoria
Admin

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:11 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:03 pm
So this aged oolong, Father's Love, was a tea that I liked, praised, & respected, & abandonned for 2 years because I got frustrated that I could not name the specific underlying flavors the gaoshan would have had before roasting, aging, etc.....

Now, I just enjoy it. ....

I had been told that one needs to develop his palate to appreciate some teas. Perhaps one needs to develop habits that allow his palate to work. (In this case enough time between drinks.)
Expectations really get in the way of experiencing what is in front of us, here and now. It’s interesting that what got in your way was an idea you had, that of being able to identify and express flavors your were tasting. Now that you’ve moved beyond that intelectual hurdle, it’s nice that you have found a new way to enjoy this special oolong. A really nice story. Thanks for sharing.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:33 pm

Finally enjoying a good session with Tillerman’s Weshan Bao Zhong from this past winter. Yesterday, my filtered tap was really off, ruining both green tea sessions. With this Bao Zhong today, a nice floral and buttery lingering salivation is going on.

Steeped in Yohei Konishi kyusu, with a ceramic tray by a local artist, Jennifer Cheh. Using a yakusugi sake cup as lid rest. The heat from the resting lid releases a pleasant aroma from the cup.

E94C5B31-D54C-47AD-8DDC-512A0BC240F0.jpeg
E94C5B31-D54C-47AD-8DDC-512A0BC240F0.jpeg (420.31 KiB) Viewed 6279 times
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:29 pm

Victoria, You write so beautifully, "a floral & buttery salivation". What a phrase!

I am always amazed that aroma comes off a lid more strongly than it comes out of a pot of tea. If you are drinking close to the lid, it probably helps you to taste the tea.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:49 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Victoria, You write so beautifully, "a floral & buttery salivation". What a phrase!

I am always amazed that aroma comes off a lid more strongly than it comes out of a pot of tea. If you are drinking close to the lid, it probably helps you to taste the tea.
Ethan you are very kind and generous.
Before taking that first sip, I make sure to surround myself with the aroma coming off the mouth of teapot and lid. It makes that first sip complete. When I have tea in a closed travel mug, the experience is 60% or more degraded by loss of aroma swirling around the senses and mixing with and influencing how taste is experienced.
debunix

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:19 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
This reminds me that I should enjoy some of Norbu's Red Alishan I'm drinking now from Petr Novak's little treebark pot to enjoy that scent from a drip of tea on the outside of the hot pot. Such a fine addition to the session. Currently drinking grandpa style (this tea shines in every infusion style), and enjoying from a splendid Shyrabbit Chawan....just about 8 little leaves flavored this large chawan full of hot water (before I drank most of it enjoying the buckwheat blossoms in the early morning light).
_DEB5069.jpg
_DEB5069.jpg (158.13 KiB) Viewed 6220 times
iGo

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:29 pm

Enjoying the Floating Leaves Taiwan Da Hong Pao very much.Excellent roasting job.
Tillerman
Vendor

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:44 pm

iGo wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:29 pm
Enjoying the Floating Leaves Taiwan Da Hong Pao very much.Excellent roasting job.
I agree - it is a delicious tea; I'm just not quite sure why it is named Da Hong Pao for it does not taste like the Fujian version and it is not finished in the way of the Fujian version. I just have a thing about appropriating other tea names; and this tea is good enough to have its own name rather than a borrowed one. Maybe @FloatingLeaves could fill us in here.
FloatingLeaves
Vendor

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:11 pm

Good question. It's actually named Da Hong Pao after the cultivar. Apparently the farmer received seven cuttings from the mother bushes in Wuyishan, and this was fifteen years ago. He has a plot of land in Dong Ding, growing and processing primarily Dong Ding style oolongs. So he made the tea into a Dong Ding, basically, but because it was so-called cuttings from the DHP mother bushes, he decided to share it with us as a DHP.

I think we are all wary of the propagation of tall tales in the tea industry, and I don't necessarily claim these are really cuttings from the motherbushes. Nevertheless, the tea was shared with me under the name DHP, so I decided to keep it. I almost called it Dong Ding DHP, or Charcoal Dong Ding DHP, but I thought that would be even more confusing! DD DHP sounds like a tea-internet scandal waiting to happen :lol:
_Soggy_

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:04 pm

Waking up with some Winter Rougui from Old Ways tea. Nice light yancha for a summer day.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:42 am

Competition grade Xinrenxiang Dancong in old Qinghuini. This high fired pot excells in brewing this wonderful tea! One of my favourite teapots and teas. Perfect.

All the while practicing Chaozhou gong fu brewing. Three cups, no pitcher.
Attachments
552569B4-EF7F-4B4C-BB98-BF544B30DD86.jpeg
552569B4-EF7F-4B4C-BB98-BF544B30DD86.jpeg (236.23 KiB) Viewed 6065 times
Noonie

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:03 am

Bok wrote:
Competition grade Xinrenxiang Dancong in old Qinghuini. This high fired pot excells in brewing this wonderful tea! One of my favourite teapots and teas. Perfect.

That has a nice rustic feel to it! Wish I could be there to take up one of those cups :)
Bok
Vendor

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:20 am

Noonie wrote:
That has a nice rustic feel to it! Wish I could be there to take up one of those cups :)
Cheers! If you ever come to Taipei...
carogust

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:58 am

Noonie wrote:
Bok wrote:

Second that! Boks brewing setups are always very nice to see.
carogust

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:38 am

Today I had wuyiorigins 2018 shuixian! If I'm to believe, it is from zhengyan. I've heard good things about wuyiorigin and I must confirm, they're very good!
The leaves are not broken up much and are well handled. In the pot it smells a little different than other yanchas I've had, very hard to describe.
Tastewise it's very solid! One of the "cleanest" tasting teas I've had. Shockingly oily, soapy, very special mouthfeel. Goes down very smooth. Not a trace of off notes. Very precise taste. Prominent aroma and character, always a good sign when the tea has a strong and robust smell when pouring!
Different than other yanchas I've had. Might be that zhengyan is worth the hype, or that the processing is just different, but well done.
I could've used more leaf, as the whole nature of the leaves caught me off guard. Too mellow. I think I'll try this with a smaller teapot + flash steeps + filled to the top with leaves. It might be the case that this has such a clean taste, precise as well that it won't become muddied if you used more. It might be the mellow nature of shuixian as well.

Picture (trying to up my posts!):
postimg21.jpg
postimg21.jpg (268.26 KiB) Viewed 5953 times