Los Angeles Tea Society Tasting 2019-08-02

Victoria
Admin

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:24 pm

We got together this past Friday for what unfolded into a 9 1/2 hr tasting with several LA Tea Society members, who are also TeaForum members; @EarthMonkey, @Atlas, @av360logic, @phyllsheng, and myself. The standouts of our tasting were two puerh; 2003 Purple Dayi FT 7542-301, and what many thought was possibly a good fake '1990 Water Blue Mark 7542' or maybe the real deal.

The Lineup:

2018 Winter, Wenshan Bao Zhong (Tillerman Teas) Victoria shared.
Qing Xin Wulong cultivar. Pinglin, New Taipei City
To cleans the palate and set the tone we started with a lighter greener oolong. Buttery floral notes in aroma and wet leaf. Good mouthfeel and minerality.

2006 Xizihao Puzhen, sheng (Taiwan auction) Atlas shared.
Yunnan, China
av360logic commented it has fruit aroma with a sweet date liquor. It seemed very feminine to me, in a lyrical way.

possibly 2003, 8582, sheng (Yunnan sourced directly) Purchased mid-2018. EarthMonkey shared.
Yunnan, China
Exact identifier not known. Phyllsheng thinks it has 7542 characteristics, more so than 8582. Members thought this might be a very good fake 1990 Water Blue Mark 7542, or maybe even the real deal. An easy drinker. We were all getting tea drunk, it was potent. Everyone wanted to buy it. It had strength, force, and nice huigan in throat. EarthMonkey only bought 2 cakes, and already sold one, so unfortunately no more. It was sleeping when he got it, so he put it in a humidity-controlled sealed container. There was an interesting conversation regarding new western facing puerh's quick turn around, those that are ready-to-drink, but that do not represent the real Yunnan puerh teas that require aging. With western facing ready-to-drink puerh often becoming flat with aging.

2003 8582 sheng Puher Junkie.jpg
2003 8582 sheng Puher Junkie.jpg (662.22 KiB) Viewed 8244 times

2002 Traditional storage 7532, sheng (Taiwan auction) Atlas shared.
Stored in HK, sold in Taiwan.
Dry cake aroma of goji berries and sasquatch. Wet leaf has sweet earth aroma. Sweet spring water, camphor cooling effect. Tastes like moldering wood on the forest floor, or damp bark.

2003 Purple Dayi FT 7542-301, sheng (direct buy in Taiwan) Purchased in mid-2017 (May). Phyllsheng shared.
Natural dry-storage, Taipei.
Wet leaf, incense aroma, with petrol notes in liquor. A very smooth liquor with nice HuiGan, sweet thickness in mouth and thick salivation in mouth. Others said bitter, but I didn't taste that. Cooling in mouth, opening in chest, with an upward movement from mouth out through the head. A lot of warming heat generated. I was laughing and sticking my tongue out. 70F RH stored at Phyllsheng’s. A question about “where this tea is tea going in future?”. The consensus was it’s very drinkable now, that it has backbone, substance and has a very strong character. Goes for 20 steeps. EarthMonkey commented in 5 years it will be...more medicinal.

Side note about Fei Tai, shared by phyllsheng:

Fei Tai (飛臺號) is a prominent and influential tea distributor based in Taiwan. The company also produces its own FT line of tea products by outsourcing and through joint-venture contracts with Menghai Tea Factory (Dayi) and Xiaguan Tea Factory. Teas that are produced by Menghai Tea Factory / Dayi and Xiaguan Tea Factory on behalf of Fei Tai are indicated on the packaging in several different ways:

1. By conspicuous and clear presentation of the company’s name (飛臺號) on the product’s outer packaging

2. By ink stamping “FT” on the product’s exterior packaging, or

3. In some products, it is not easily identifiable to the end-consumers due to the Fei Tai mark being hidden or presented inconspicuously in the interior of the tea’s packaging (e.g. on the inner ticket/ neifei of the product.

The 2003 Purple Dayi FT 7542-301 mentioned above is one such tea which the Fei Tai mark “FT” is only found printed on the tea’s inner ticket.

In contrast, the 2013 Xiaguan Tea Factory-produced “Love Forever” makes it exceedingly clear for end-consumers to notice the collaboration between Xiaguan Tea Factory and Fei Tai. The latter company’s name is printed clearly on the exterior of the product’s packaging materials.
2003 Purple Dayi FT 7542-301
2003 Purple Dayi FT 7542-301.jpg
2003 Purple Dayi FT 7542-301.jpg (480.84 KiB) Viewed 8244 times

2013 Fei Tai - Xiaguan Tea Factory “Love Forever”
2013 Fei Tai - Xiaguan Tea Factory “Love Forever”.jpg
2013 Fei Tai - Xiaguan Tea Factory “Love Forever”.jpg (355.1 KiB) Viewed 8244 times

We rounded out the tasting with just two of us left (av360logic and myself) comparing a few RouGui;

2018 Spring, Gold Medal RouGui & Ma Tou Yan Rou Gui (Old Ways Tea) Victoria shared.
Wuyishan, China
Side by side comparison. av360logic shared that these "were almost a study in opposites, one of them being very traditional high fired yancha (Ma Tou Yan) and the other being much more modern medium oxidation/roast style (Gold Medal). The modern one had much more identifiable RouGui characteristic fragrance with less depth (for me, Victoria actually preferred it) whereas the high fired RouGui had minimal fragrance and good mineral depth, but gave out quite quickly.” Phyllsheng commented later in a chat that the “high fired rg either needs resting time (if recently roasted) or it’s slightly over-roasted, which causes it to lose its rg character fragrance and taste. And I think that’s the reason Victoria prefers the less roasted one.” This makes a lot of sense to me, and since the Ma Tou Yan was roasted June 7th, 2018 maybe it is just over-roasted.

Wuyi RouGoi (via a friend visiting Wuyi) Phyllsheng shared.
Zhengyan, Wuyishan, China
Phyllsheng shared this is a medium-high to high fired RouGui, and that “it was fired skillfully enough so as to bring out (as opposed to nixing) its characteristic rg fragrance and smell.”
av360logic commented this one "combined the better aspects of the previous teas: more fragrance and mineral depth. It had average longevity for a yancha imo, but I enjoyed it the most.”
Phyllsheng replied in a chat later;

And yes, mine has short durability — I usually get 5 good steepings out of it before it goes downhill.

This all goes back to what I mentioned last night: with yanchas, the roasting is responsible for “bringing forth” the tea’s fragrance and taste, not destroy it. In high fired oolongs, especially yanchas, the line between “just right” and “too much” is very, very thin.

On the other hand, the inherent quality (or its lack thereof) of the raw material is determined by its aftertaste — including how long it lingers on after drinking it.

My rg raw material is of middle quality (not the best, but not “grand cru” material either). I brought it as an example of a quite-skillfully highly-fired yancha.
pedant
Admin

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:06 am

great read. sounds like you all had a good time. i sometimes wish i lived in LA.
thanks for sharing these notes.
Victoria wrote:
Dry cake aroma of goji berries and sasquatch.
sasquatch aroma?? :lol:
Victoria
Admin

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:13 am

pedant wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:06 am
great read. sounds like you all had a good time. i sometimes wish i lived in LA.
thanks for sharing these notes.
Victoria wrote:
Dry cake aroma of goji berries and sasquatch.
sasquatch aroma?? :lol:
Wish you could join us too.
And yes, I forgot to add a disclaimer.. lol. Tasting notes are collected from comments made during each tasting, so unless stated, not necessarily my own tasting notes. Sasquatch is a new one for sure.
d.manuk

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:05 am

Whenever I visit, I am always amazed how you all in LA have such a high tolerance for long tea sessions.

I always need to eat 2 full meals at once before visiting anyone there. :lol:
Atlas

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:03 am

Victoria wrote:
Others said bitter, but I didn't taste that.
You are a formidable woman, Victoria :lol:

Thank-you again as always for your impeccable hospitality.
d.manuk

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:24 am

:lol:
Victoria
Admin

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Atlas wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:03 am
Victoria wrote:
Others said bitter, but I didn't taste that.
You are a formidable woman, Victoria :lol:

Thank-you again as always for your impeccable hospitality.
Thank you @Atlas. Love our many in-depth conversations, your company and sharing teas with you and our group. And yes, it seems my bitter threshold is high :). I seem to miss a few subtle nuances some of you taste. Maybe a result of growing up sailing and being given Fernet Branca, a digestive bitter, to calm sea sickness 🍃.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:21 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:05 am
Whenever I visit, I am always amazed how you all in LA have such a high tolerance for long tea sessions.

I always need to eat 2 full meals at once before visiting anyone there. :lol:
Lol, @pedant mentioned he was ravenous after having an extended tea session with you recently. I use to make dinner for the tea group, but somehow tea took over and no more time for a real food break. Lately we’ve just been having appetizers and snacks. Next time we’ll have us some hors d’oeuvres or as @av360logic calls them 'Murican horse-derve :D .
d.manuk

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:18 pm

I ate a Tomahawk steak after that Chicago puer marathon :lol:

Victoria, the first time we met you made a very nice paella but it was only 3 of us so it was manageable.
Justin

Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:39 am

Dang! Would've loved to join in. I live less than an hour away from LA. Maybe next time
Victoria
Admin

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:37 pm

Justin wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:39 am
Dang! Would've loved to join in. I live less than an hour away from LA. Maybe next time
Hi @Justin, the easiest way is if you join Los Angeles Tea Society on FB. It’s a closed group so you need to be approved. If you’re not on FB, I’ll just email or pm you here about the next tasting. A few of us are getting together this Saturday because of the Los Angeles Tea Festival occurring downtown LA. Maybe we can meet there this Saturday mid-day. Tillerman will be there as well as many other very interesting vendors from Japan, USA, China etc...
Justin

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 pm

@Victoria i will be attending the LA Tea Festival. Hope to meet up with you there!
phyllsheng

Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:03 pm

Thank you for always being the consummate host, @Victoria!
Hope to catch up again soon @Victoria, @EarthMonkey, @Atlas, and @av360logic!

Just for fun...a link to a GIF file of @Atlas pouring the 2002 CNNP 7532 (light - medium trad'l HK storage) :)

Victoria
Admin

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:15 am

@phyllsheng that is really cool. Lol, thanks.