Yixing

steanze
Vendor

Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:52 pm

carogust wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:31 am
I am not a yixing market expert, but it's a shame that new teapots imitating old antiques cannot be sold legitimately. I really, really like how antique pots look. Just something about them that is missing from modern pots. I've seen a few "fanggu" style pots, if not mistaken that means old styled but they can still be a far cry from what I've seen of the antiques.
I'd be totally happy buying an antique replicate as long as its sold as one, and not being used to scam someone else.

edit: I do also understand why yixing collectors would prefer that no antique replicas were made at all. It is kind of a dilemma.
Pots inspired to the aesthetics of antiques can be sold legitimately. It is sufficient to put a modern stamp of the author on the base. Things are different when sellers try to pass the modern pots as antiques. The big problem with replicas that are not clearly marked as such, in addition to the scam, is that they might create confusion about the history. They make it more difficult to study and understand how different styles and techniques evolved over time.
Even the very first yixing teapots were inspired by the past - some of Shi Dabin's designs come from archaic bronzes. Inspiration from the past is not a problem, but replicas that don't have clear identifying signs and that are sold as originals run the risk of "rewriting history".
carogust

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:43 pm

steanze wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:52 pm
Pots inspired to the aesthetics of antiques can be sold legitimately. It is sufficient to put a modern stamp of the author on the base.
Hah yeah I feel a little bit silly for not having thought of that. The dilemma i talked about with making exact replicas of old pots (down to the very very tiny construction details that are used to validate antique pots) is kind of nonexistent!
And I totally understand that part about rewriting history.
carogust

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:48 pm

TEAMOOD wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:56 am

Hi carogust,
In fact, majority of Modern-made teapots imitating old antiques are being sold legitimately.

Because there are so many tea fans loving so much the designs of classic antique pots that most of authors are trying to make the same ones for clients.

While, there are also innovations for clients' different tastes both not so good and those Very creative.

There is no patent restriction, no restriction even on duplicated with 100% exactly the same with origin antiques(scanned data/drawing of antiques from the museums or local Institution are accessible) and one can even make changes on the clay, sizing scale, angle of handle and spout.

The fanggu you mentioned that looked different from the antique you saw is likely a modfied design. the same named teapots made by different famous artists in the history are even differed a little. it's similar like a worldwide popular song sang by many singers sound like in various versions.

if you really like those classic ones, I hope I can help you get an exactly same with antique from here local Yixing.

I also want to show people here the image of positive quality and high cost-performance of a modern-made zisha teapot directly from a Yixing guy.

Joe
Hi teamood.

I do know about old designs like the siting, julunzhu etc. What I am after is pots that mimic those very fine details, like the clay or lets say spout construction. If you know about anyone who is good at making copies of antiques that might as well pass as real ones i'd be happy to know (and i'm sure that many others would be as well! And as long as they're being sold as antique replicas!).
I do as well appreciate modern yixing artists. I've seen many amazing post 2000s pieces around, a few that I like as much as the antiques!
TEAMOOD
Vendor

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:37 pm

Dear carogust,

Being more honestly, we don't assume modern-made teapots by even famous masters would surpasss those acient antiques.
clay, craft skills maybe possibly surpassing the old ones but at least not on the fame (majority value of an antique). Maybe we can collect some and wait until dozens of years later when these pots will become valuable.
Last edited by pedant on Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit: vendor content removed (see vendor's own topic)
pedant
Admin

Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:07 am

@TEAMOOD,

nice pots! however please note that items cannot be listed for sale here (details sent in PM).

we've left your posts here temporarily in case you want to refer to them while you decide what to do, but heads up to everyone that they will have to be moved soon.

thanks for your understanding

edit: the content has been removed and can now be found in the vendor section
TEAMOOD
Vendor

Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:41 am

Dear pedant,

Oh. Very Sorry for that.

I May think about being a vendor soon and tag them with prices, detailing them as required by vendor section here.

Appreciated a lot!

Joe
DailyTX

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:31 pm

steanze wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:30 pm
Looks very plausible, it would be helpful to see a few more pictures:
1) base
2) under the lid
3) pic of the interior showing the spout hole
4) a pic of the handle from a different angle
@steanze
Here are a few more pics
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_1487.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1487.jpg (189.47 KiB) Viewed 6055 times
thumbnail_IMG_1485.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1485.jpg (197.84 KiB) Viewed 6055 times
thumbnail_IMG_1483.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1483.jpg (177.19 KiB) Viewed 6055 times
steanze
Vendor

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:32 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:31 pm
steanze wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:30 pm
Looks very plausible, it would be helpful to see a few more pictures:
1) base
2) under the lid
3) pic of the interior showing the spout hole
4) a pic of the handle from a different angle
steanze
Here are a few more pics
Imo this is an authentic ROC Yixing teapot produced by the Tiehuaxuan workshop
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:52 pm

@DailyTX second @steanze, that looks like an authentic ROC teapot, congratulations! I would clean it with some sodium Percarbonate, unless the patina is from your usage? Especially the spouts tend to amass all sort of unsavoury things...
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:54 pm

Or is the clay two-coloured? The darker inside of the lid looks like it’s a different clay or from the firing.
DailyTX

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:06 pm

Bok wrote:
Or is the clay two-coloured? The darker inside of the lid looks like it’s a different clay or from the firing.
@Bok
I think the dark color inside the lid maybe tea stain. If you look at the first set of photos I posted, it’s darker. The photos I posted today are after a 30 minutes boil with water. The pot displays more red.
steanze
Vendor

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:14 pm

Bok wrote:
It might be neiziwaihong: zini inside, hongni outside. Tiehuaxuan made some neizis in ROC, I have one example, I can try to take some pics tomorrow with better lighting. A bit hard to be 100% sure in this case without seeing the pot in person.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:30 pm

steanze wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:14 pm
Bok wrote:
It might be neiziwaihong: zini inside, hongni outside. Tiehuaxuan made some neizis in ROC, I have one example, I can try to take some pics tomorrow with better lighting. A bit hard to be 100% sure in this case without seeing the pot in person.
That would be nice! Quite rare if I understand it right. The Facebook group had a big argument about it just recently, some people didn’t even know(and highly doubted) NZWH or Neiwailinjiang even existed before the Factory period.

Mostly done a lot better than in factory times. I only ever saw one example in person, of a Neiwailinjiang from late Qing, done so well, it was thought to be Zhuni. Only the firing betrayed its true nature.
Chadrinkincat

Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:05 am

@DailyTX

Nice score! Where did you find this pot? Looks very similar to one I saw on auction recently.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:43 am

DailyTX wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:06 pm
I think the dark color inside the lid maybe tea stain. If you look at the first set of photos I posted, it’s darker. The photos I posted today are after a 30 minutes boil with water. The pot displays more red.
I doubt it’s a tea stain, the inside of the lid is usually the cleanest part of any used pot.