My Puerh Order (all samples)

Puerh and other heicha
Guy Juan

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:14 pm

I’ve only had 2 puerhs. One loose ripe and one raw pearl. The ripe was extremely refreshing like fresh mineral rich soil. The raw was like a puddle near a sewer drain...with a small carcass floating in it. I loved the ripe immediately and the raw quickly grew on me after the 2nd session...rotting carcass and all. Is there anyone that gravitates towards the nasty puerh? I wonder if it’s normal or I just like nasty rotten puerh (more of a rush 8-) )

What do you all think of my sample selection to get to know puerh better? Any I’m missing? Any real gems in there?
9755B343-E2CF-4B48-906A-25A1DB1DD95C.png
9755B343-E2CF-4B48-906A-25A1DB1DD95C.png (145.02 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
DDD9C6AE-AD8D-492A-8716-4C6EB31E7BE3.png
DDD9C6AE-AD8D-492A-8716-4C6EB31E7BE3.png (107.8 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
I also have a 2000 Blue Mark (replica) from Global Tea Hut on the way. Heard great things about it. Then I ordered a “raw, sun dried, un blended mid 80’s Menghai tea factory loose puerh” from tea-masters.

I feel the cravings for puerh and the curiosity of what nasty dank flavors might come with some of them hahahaha....like when something spicy burns and hurts but you still want more and crave the pain.
mrmopu

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:30 am

Nan Nuo Ba Ma. Been drinking on that one a few days now.
Guy Juan

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:21 am

mrmopu wrote:
What are your thoughts on it? Any good?
Noonie

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:17 pm

I'm new to Puerh so can't comment, but I also bought a bunch of samples from a couple of vendors...and after having just two of them went ahead and ordered cakes of each (loved them...I mentioned in the Puerh drinking thread). Given my experience with buying cakes of what I like, and with how many samples you have, this might get expensive :mrgreen:
mrmopu

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:22 pm

Guy Juan wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:21 am
mrmopu wrote:
What are your thoughts on it? Any good?
Pretty strong and healthy bitter in the later brews. Course I like the kick in the teeth. I have been pretty impressed with some of the stuff from King. I hate that a couple are sold out or I would have directed you that way.
Guy Juan

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Noonie wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:17 pm
I'm new to Puerh so can't comment, but I also bought a bunch of samples from a couple of vendors...and after having just two of them went ahead and ordered cakes of each (loved them...I mentioned in the Puerh drinking thread). Given my experience with buying cakes of what I like, and with how many samples you have, this might get expensive :mrgreen:
Oh god here goes all my money. Wait....I already spent all my money on the samples :roll:

I’ll go check out your post on the 2 you grabbed cakes of. I plan to come back to this thread and post my thoughts for each and every one of my samples too. So stop on back
DailyTX

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:34 am

Guy Juan wrote:
I’ve only had 2 puerhs. One loose ripe and one raw pearl. The ripe was extremely refreshing like fresh mineral rich soil. The raw was like a puddle near a sewer drain...with a small carcass floating in it. I loved the ripe immediately and the raw quickly grew on me after the 2nd session...rotting carcass and all. Is there anyone that gravitates towards the nasty puerh? I wonder if it’s normal or I just like nasty rotten puerh (more of a rush 8-) )

What do you all think of my sample selection to get to know puerh better? Any I’m missing? Any real gems in there?

9755B343-E2CF-4B48-906A-25A1DB1DD95C.pngDDD9C6AE-AD8D-492A-8716-4C6EB31E7BE3.png

I also have a 2000 Blue Mark (replica) from Global Tea Hut on the way. Heard great things about it. Then I ordered a “raw, sun dried, un blended mid 80’s Menghai tea factory loose puerh” from tea-masters.

I feel the cravings for puerh and the curiosity of what nasty dank flavors might come with some of them hahahaha....like when something spicy burns and hurts but you still want more and crave the pain.
@Guy Juan
You have an interesting list, mind sharing where you ordered your sample ;)
Based on your description, it sounds like wet storage Puerhs. This week, I have been revisiting this cake:
https://yunnansourcing.us/collections/a ... h-tea-cake
I got it last year, the tea had astringent taste when I initially tried. I left it alone for about a year in a 40-55 humidity room, I noticed the masking tape I used to reseal the wrapper had fell off which prompted me to try it again. It tasted so much better now, I am not sure if the tea has adjusted to the climate or something else. In general, I like dry storage puerh, sheng or ripe
Guy Juan

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:34 am

DailyTX wrote:
Guy Juan wrote:

9755B343-E2CF-4B48-906A-25A1DB1DD95C.pngDDD9C6AE-AD8D-492A-8716-4C6EB31E7BE3.png

Guy Juan
Based on your description, it sounds like wet storage Puerhs. This week, I have been revisiting this cake:
I got it last year, the tea had astringent taste when I initially tried. I left it alone for about a year in a 40-55 humidity room, I noticed the masking tape I used to reseal the wrapper had fell off which prompted me to try it again. It tasted so much better now, I am not sure if the tea has adjusted to the climate or something else. In general, I like dry storage puerh, sheng or ripe
The samples were ordered from Yunnansourcing, Kingteamall and tea-masters. The 2000 Blue Mark was from Global Tea Hut and I will try that one tonight or tomorrow. Still a few days or a week for the others to get delivered.
The “carcass” sample was a Sheng Cha Dragon Pearl from uptontea and the “fresh soil” loose ripe was from uptontea as well. The Dragon Pearl after 4 or 5 steeps had a very nice astringency that came through strong but nice. I’m definitely looking forward to the puerh in the mail from Yunnan, KTM, TM and GTH. I’ll have a little silver pot to brew them in too. That should be fun.
Chadrinkincat

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:32 am

Guy Juan wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:34 am
DailyTX wrote:
Guy Juan wrote:

Guy Juan
The samples were ordered from Yunnansourcing, Kingteamall and tea-masters. The 2000 Blue Mark was from Global Tea Hut and I will try that one tonight or tomorrow. Still a few days or a week for the others to get delivered.
The “carcass” sample was a Sheng Cha Dragon Pearl from uptontea and the “fresh soil” loose ripe was from uptontea as well. The Dragon Pearl after 4 or 5 steeps had a very nice astringency that came through strong but nice. I’m definitely looking forward to the puerh in the mail from Yunnan, KTM, TM and GTH. I’ll have a little silver pot to brew them in too. That should be fun.
Not sure silver with shou or humid sheng is a very good match. Last thing you want is for the funk to be amplified.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:36 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Not sure silver with shou or humid sheng is a very good match. Last thing you want is for the funk to be amplified.
Second that. Silver is for the absolute premium teas without any fault.
DailyTX

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:09 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:36 am
Chadrinkincat wrote:
Second that. Silver is for the absolute premium teas without any fault.
3rd on that. Personal preference, I think Yixing Zisha is still the best vessel for Pu erh. A zini pot and a hongni or zhuni pot will allow you to control a good range of astringent and storage taste. Not sure if anyone tried Yixing Zisha pot to brew Pu Erh and a silver cup to drink it, wondering if the silver cup would reverse the effect of the pot. :o
Guy Juan

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:59 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
[/quote]

I think I might want the funk amplified...I might like it. I plan to use the silver for everything...then if I don’t like the experience of a certain tea in it, I’ll use a gaiwan or yixing but that silver pot looks like a lotta fun to use. Plus, Scott at Yunnansourcing uses it for most of his puerh vids on YouTube. I can follow along with his videos tasting the tea as he does (I know water effects it too, not worried about that though).
Guy Juan

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:12 pm

So I received the 2000 Blue Mark today from GTH.

I do not like this one as much as the Sheng Dragon Pearls I tried last week a few times. The Blue Mark had no astringency (I like the astringency) and it was not as complex either. My first impression was “tastes like an attic” which was cool in its own way, but the tea was too one dimensional. My friend said it tastes like “antique furniture” and another said “wet wood that dried”. So fairly consistent with my thoughts. For anyone that likes this aspect of puerh...I highly recommend this tea as it was clean tasting. For me though, I need more kick. It gave me a very nice “tea drunk” feeling at work so I wouldn’t recommend it if you need to get things done. More for relaxing. I’m assuming the aging process reduces astringency so curious to know if I end up liking young Sheng better?

I bought a whole cake so will definitely post back if this puerh evolves over time.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:06 pm

Looks like you are in the lucky position to like what most others do want to avoid in a Puerh. If you like those kind of flavours, I would go to the bottom of the list and buy cheap or freshly harvested Puerh. The better the Puerh, the less you will find the things you seem to prefer.

So, lucky in the sense that you can get what you like on a small budget.
Guy Juan

Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:09 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:06 pm
Looks like you are in the lucky position to like what most others do want to avoid in a Puerh. If you like those kind of flavours, I would go to the bottom of the list and buy cheap or freshly harvested Puerh. The better the Puerh, the less you will find the things you seem to prefer.

So, lucky in the sense that you can get what you like on a small budget.
We shall see. If aging puerhs dulls down and smooths out the flavors...I may just like the rough complexity and pungent flavors that come from the young raw puerh. Time and testing will tell... but I tend to like the stinky cheeses. Unfortunately for cheese it’s the other way around (more expensive for the strong stinky stuff).