Yunnan Sourcing

Guy Juan

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:30 pm

I just placed a big order of mostly ripe puerh from yunnansourcing. From 1990 up to 2004. I’m new in the puerh world so looking to try a wide range. I am fairly certain my taste gravitates towards puerh the most. It just tastes more interesting to me (even just the 2 I’ve tried were worlds apart).

Has anyone heard of brewing in pure silver?

Yunnansourcing sells these pure silver pots (.999 of course) and I did some quick searches but not much on the subject was found. As I understand, it transfers no flavor and retains heat better than porcelain? I’m a little confused as to how the silver would not be tasted, even though it’s non reactive. Why is silver considered the best thing to brew tea in, from a purest standpoint?

Just curious and interested. :roll:
pedant
Admin

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Guy Juan wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Has anyone heard of brewing in pure silver?

Yunnansourcing sells these pure silver pots (.999 of course) and I did some quick searches but not much on the subject was found. As I understand, it transfers no flavor and retains heat better than porcelain? I’m a little confused as to how the silver would not be tasted, even though it’s non reactive. Why is silver considered the best thing to brew tea in, from a purest standpoint?

Just curious and interested. :roll:
i have never had the opportunity to use a silver pot, so maybe others can chime in about how they like it.
as far as neutrality, i'm not sure silver is better than porcelain.

also, there is no question that porcelain is better for heat retention. for that, silver is dead last as it has a very high thermal conductivity (over 100 times porcelain's conductivity: ~420-430 W/(m*K) vs 1-2 W/(m*K)). as such, it's easy to burn your hand on a silver pot :lol:
pedant
Admin

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:49 pm

also just fyi there's a few topics about silver. check 'em:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=856
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=664

maybe there's more i missed
Guy Juan

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:17 pm

pedant wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:49 pm
also just fyi there's a few topics about silver. check 'em:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=856
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=664

maybe there's more i missed
Cool thanks for the links. I think I did read some but just looking for more input if anyone was an avid silver brewer or preferred them over porcelain or glass.

Would you say yunnansourcing is competent enough to purchase .999 silver and be able to verify that it is 100% legit? I wonder if he tests them? They are beautiful little pots and I like the wrapped handle simplistic design, with the little wood nub on the cap. I also love the idea of not worrying about breaking it and retaining value for ages being pure silver.
pedant
Admin

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:19 pm

you could try emailing Scott (the owner) about the purity. no clue if he's had them independently tested or if a certificate of analysis (CoA) was provided by the studio that made them.
Guy Juan

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:57 pm

pedant wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:19 pm
you could try emailing Scott (the owner) about the purity. no clue if he's had them independently tested or if a CoA was provided by the studio that made them.
There was a photo of the COA but I don’t really trust it coming from China...plus I can’t read it or verify that the coa is legit either. I’m sure someone would have noticed by now if they were something other than silver though, I would imagine.

I really like Scott’s YouTube videos and he seems very knowledgeable and into tea. I’m digging this vendor so far...trying his teas when the order arrives.
pedant
Admin

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:04 pm

oh, i'd be highly surprised if it's not fairly pure silver.
the question is if it's really three nines pure.
pedant
Admin

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:23 pm

from a friend who likes silver but doesn't use forums much:
Interesting question
Idk if shu and silver would be ideal, but it should work quite well

in essence: if gaiwan is a neutral light, and yixing a dim light, then silver is a bright light.
it brightens everything and makes the taste sharper/more prominent

and due to it cooling faster, it leads to less over extraction and thus more brews (the tea being much more enduring).
aet
Vendor

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:27 pm

Im not a chemist but apparently it has something to do with the water ( actually with minerals / salts in it ). There is some reaction there which makes the water taste sweeter , softer or whatever "better" ? In Kunming I see many shops ( and more in Dali ) selling small silver patted bottles for drinking hot water ( like locals carry in daily life ) .
I haven't tried to compare drinking hot water from glass and silver ( blind test ) to taste if it makes a difference . I'll put down on my list though.
Guy Juan

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:45 pm

pedant wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:23 pm
from a friend who likes silver but doesn't use forums much:
Interesting question
Idk if shu and silver would be ideal, but it should work quite well

in essence: if gaiwan is a neutral light, and yixing a dim light, then silver is a bright light.
it brightens everything and makes the taste sharper/more prominent

and due to it cooling faster, it leads to less over extraction and thus more brews (the tea being much more enduring).
Interesting. Very well put. Thanks!
Guy Juan

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:47 pm

aet wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:27 pm
Im not a chemist but apparently it has something to do with the water ( actually with minerals / salts in it ). There is some reaction there which makes the water taste sweeter , softer or whatever "better" ? In Kunming I see many shops ( and more in Dali ) selling small silver patted bottles for drinking hot water ( like locals carry in daily life ) .
I haven't tried to compare drinking hot water from glass and silver ( blind test ) to taste if it makes a difference . I'll put down on my list though.
I’ll have to research it a little bit, find the science! This is what I like though...uncover the mysteries :)
thommes

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:47 am

Not sure if this should be posted in the vendor section. Looking for recommendations for Shou Pu-erh from Yunnan Sourcing. It appears they are having a 4 day sale and I'd like to take advantage of that. I'm getting a couple samplers but looking for recommendations as well. Not sure if their house brand is worth purchasing? I'm trying to make sure that the samples I buy contain teas that can actually be purchased in cakes or bricks. Nothing worse than sampling something and then not being able to actually buy it. :D

Also what do you guys think about loose leaf pu-erh? I'm thinking like as a daily drink at work type of thing. Where I need to be able to make a tea quick and not be able to really enjoy it as much as if I was not at work. The way I see it, the worst pu-erh would make the typical day at work tolerable. :)

Hopefully this post gets approved and some replies before the sale s off. NOt sure when it started as I can't find info.
.m.

Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:33 am

thommes wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:47 am
Not sure if this should be posted in the vendor section. Looking for recommendations for Shou Pu-erh from Yunnan Sourcing. It appears they are having a 4 day sale and I'd like to take advantage of that. I'm getting a couple samplers but looking for recommendations as well. Not sure if their house brand is worth purchasing? I'm trying to make sure that the samples I buy contain teas that can actually be purchased in cakes or bricks. Nothing worse than sampling something and then not being able to actually buy it. :D

Also what do you guys think about loose leaf pu-erh? I'm thinking like as a daily drink at work type of thing. Where I need to be able to make a tea quick and not be able to really enjoy it as much as if I was not at work. The way I see it, the worst pu-erh would make the typical day at work tolerable. :)

Hopefully this post gets approved and some replies before the sale s off. NOt sure when it started as I can't find info.
In terms of exposure, the YS Fan page on Fb would be a good place to ask the question:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1654839771478569/
I believe their housebrand has quite a good reputation.
Otherwise, you can't go wrong with almost any shu from Dayi (Menghai). Haiwan is also a very decent choice for a daily drinker shu, usually for a fraction of Dayi price.
.m.

Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:37 am

Also, in general, you want the shu to be at least 2 years old.
Slurp

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:17 pm

If time is a concern, instead of loose leaf, why not just break off a week's worth from your cake on Sunday night/Monday morning, and take that into work in a baggie or container?

I can't speak from personal experience, but it seems that YS house brand is generally well regarded. If it helps, these guys review a lot of YS' offerings: https://www.youtube.com/user/teadborg

YS does sell factory teas as well as their own, you could get a couple of each & compare for yourself.

FYI, it seems like the 4 day puerh sale has already ended, from what I can tell.