FS: some teapots for sale

Baisao

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:54 am

@Andrei, what era are you saying these teapots you posted are from?

https://m.xuite.net/blog/aa3885aa/twblog/156867586

https://m.xuite.net/blog/aa3885aa/twblog/156867583

I am in agreement with Bok when he says:
It really boils down to that this is a community of tea and teaware aficionados and we feel inclined to point out when something doesn’t seem right in the interest of everyone. Learning and progressing together.
Andrei

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:20 am

Baisao wrote:
Andrei, what era are you saying these teapots you posted are from?

It really boils down to that this is a community of tea and teaware aficionados and we feel inclined to point out when something doesn’t seem right in the interest of everyone. Learning and progressing together.
1. Google-translate perfectly translates that page. I am in sync with that translation.
2. What I see, that I listed a teapot on Ebay. Not here. You came here and started to express your feelings here, that are out of scope this topic. With different points: 1000 EUR! Not real! Where are your proves? Your feelings stay your feelings. Okay, express them but in different thread. Write a new topic, invite me, ask experts. I will be happy provide more photos, history of acquisition, etc. I am trying to say: that such comments makes no good.
Baisao

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:09 am

Andrei wrote:
Baisao wrote:
Andrei, what era are you saying these teapots you posted are from?

1. Google-translate perfectly translates that page. I am in sync with that translation.
For those playing along at home: the disputed teapots on the link and on eBay claim to be Early ROC yet they have ball filters. @Andrei, how could these be from before 1949 when these filters did not exist on Yixing until the modern era?

Andrei wrote:
2. What I see, that I listed a teapot on Ebay. Not here. You came here and started to express your feelings here, that are out of scope this topic. With different points: 1000 EUR! Not real! Where are your proves? Your feelings stay your feelings. Okay, express them but in different thread. Write a new topic, invite me, ask experts.
Where is your proof that I accused you of selling for 1000 EUR? I didn’t.

But I will.

I did look at your eBay listing and you had two pots that were priced over 1000 EUR and claimed to be Early ROC (they were modern). “The lady doth protest too much.”
Andrei wrote:
I will be happy provide more photos, history of acquisition, etc.
Most of which is dodgy. I’ve known well meaning people who passed on fakes. They didn’t know better. Most of us have bought fakes, myself included, as that’s the price of education. There’s no shame in this so there’s no need to be defensive either.

Sites like the one you linked too are also full of misinformation. As for provenance, everyone loves a good story.

The truth is this: it’s too easy to fake antique teapots as they rarely have a solid chain of custodianship and come from a culture that prides itself on copying the artistic works of earlier generations.
Andrei wrote:

I am trying to say: that such comments makes no good.
Such comments as letting you know you are misrepresenting something you are selling should be welcomed by you, as it helps you learn something you didn’t know before. It should also be welcomed by others for the same reason.
Andrei

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:27 am

@Baisao I see. Would you please summarize our discussion? Because, I am trying to sell verified green-labeled teapots here. Could you please make a statement that summarizes discussion ebay/Azure teapot? Thank you.
steanze
Vendor

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:24 am

Andrei wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:27 am
Baisao I see. Would you please summarize our discussion? Because, I am trying to sell verified green-labeled teapots here. Could you please make a statement that summarizes discussion ebay/Azure teapot? Thank you.
Andrei. The reputation of a seller is important. You can't sell modern replicas as ROC pot for over $1k on ebay, and expect that this won't open up a discussion here. Hopefully, it was an honest mistake, but then your responses here are puzzling.

First, if you sell a pot and advertise it as ROC, it is your responsibility to demonstrate that.

Second, it is very very obvious that those pots are not ROC. Some fakes can be difficult to recognize. But those in the links are so bad that they are funny. Really, it's like selling a car made in year 1200. This suggests that you are selling teapots without really knowing much about teapots.

Third, it sounds like you are saying that on ebay people know less, so you can try to trick them into buying fake ROC teapots for over $1k, while here people know more so you only list verified teapots. Hopefully this is not what you are actually saying.

Finally, if you don't trust @Chadrinkincat , @Bok , and @Baisao (who all have good experience with old pots), you were invited to post the pots you claim to be ROC on a facebook group of experts. That could end the discussion immediately, yet you have not done it. Why?

It seems to me that you are not really interested in whether those pots are ROC or not. You seem far more interested in whether this discussion will damage your business. But customers expect vendors to care about the authenticity of the items they sell, so this discussion might damage your business precisely because of your attitude.
Andrei

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:50 am

Okay. I will summarise.
I listed a teapot on ebay.
I named exactly it the same words as I receive it.
The seller I bought it from, told me it was ROC.
I named it as ROC on Ebay.
This teapot is absent here and it is absent on Ebay.
I removed that teapot from Ebay.
Here I listed teapots that I am confident.
Are we fine?
.m.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:55 am

It is fair to point out one's opinion on the pots he (Andrei) puts on ebay and their prices, or to discuss their autenticity or the lack of it. In the end, discussion is what this forum is all about. But it is also fair to point out he's not offering them here.
As far as i know, the pots he has offered here, mostly F1 pots and some EoT 90's pots, were all authentic and had the right descriptions, and their price was comparable or significantly lower than what their western market price is (prices of western facing vendors, as well as prices of several other pots sold here on the forum by respected members). I'm really not sure what are his motivations in buying and reselling all these pots, all i can say these are fair offers from somebody i know as an authentic, honest and generous person, and a knowledgeable tealover.
steanze
Vendor

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:43 am

Andrei wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:50 am
Okay. I will summarise.
I listed a teapot on ebay.
I named exactly it the same words as I receive it.
The seller I bought it from, told me it was ROC.
I named it as ROC on Ebay.
This teapot is absent here and it is absent on Ebay.
I removed that teapot from Ebay.
Here I listed teapots that I am confident.
Are we fine?
Ok :) I think it is a good strategy to only offer teapots that you are confident about. Mistakes can happen, much rests on how one responds when they do happen.
Chadrinkincat

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:21 pm

Andrei wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:43 am
Bok

Code: Select all

If you try to sell them for over 1000EUR ...
I can try to sell as much as I want. It is my price. However, my actions are more altruistic, without any benefit to me.
We are talking that your allegations make only harm, about items that I didn't sell/list here.
Anyone that sells pots on this forum opens themselves up to criticism for questionable pots they are selling elsewhere. Is that not fair?
TEAMOOD
Vendor

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:08 am

Hope my joining in with advice from a Yixing folk can ease some argument like this in near future. ;)