Your favorite Dan Cong vendor?

chofmann
Vendor

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:22 am

Does anybody know what farms Hojo uses? I assume it isn't their own given that they carry a variety of Chinese, Taiwanese, and Japanese teas.
Brent D

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:08 am

chofmann wrote:
Does anybody know what farms Hojo uses? I assume it isn't their own given that they carry a variety of Chinese, Taiwanese, and Japanese teas.
Ive been wondering that too. Why does the best DC we can seem to get, come from Japan?
Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm

chofmann wrote:
Would be very strange if a tea shop would disclose its sources, wouldn’t it?
Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Brent D wrote:
chofmann wrote:
Ive been wondering that too. Why does the best DC we can seem to get, come from Japan?
Everything the Japanese do, they normally try to do their best at. And the expectations to quality are very high, I think they simply would not get away with selling average quality in Japan. As the import tariffs are also very high it probably does not make much sense to acquire lower grades. Same for Taiwan oolongs, they mostly seem to have the very high grades only.

I never bought from webshops, but was under the impression Tea Habitat had a good selection of DC?
Victoria
Admin

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:04 pm

Yes TeaHabitat in Alhambra, Ca, USA has excellent selection of Dan Cong. I am lucky to live in Los Angeles so can go to Imen’s tastings. Every Dan Cong I have purchased from her has been top quality. She also has a very good set of instructions and blog regarding how to brew.
Brent D

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:04 am

Bok wrote:
Brent D wrote:
chofmann wrote:
Everything the Japanese do, they normally try to do their best at. And the expectations to quality are very high, I think they simply would not get away with selling average quality in Japan. As the import tariffs are also very high it probably does not make much sense to acquire lower grades. Same for Taiwan oolongs, they mostly seem to have the very high grades only.

I never bought from webshops, but was under the impression Tea Habitat had a good selection of DC?
That is a very good point! If your going to pay the tariff, you should make it worth it. I still see potential for the quality DC farms to make just as much (if not more) by having it available to the west for direct sale. Japan becomes just a very expensive middle man.
Tea habitat is my current go to. It puzzles me though. Ive got sources to buy most teas direct from location. DC eludes me though.
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Brent D wrote:
Bok wrote:
Brent D wrote:

That is a very good point! If your going to pay the tariff, you should make it worth it. I still see potential for the quality DC farms to make just as much (if not more) by having it available to the west for direct sale. Japan becomes just a very expensive middle man.
Tea habitat is my current go to. It puzzles me though. Ive got sources to buy most teas direct from location. DC eludes me though.
You could try Wuyi Origin. Cindy sells direct; both Wuyi and Dancong. The DC comes from her husband's family farm. I currently am drinking the lao cong mi lan xiang (just reviewed by teaformeaplease.com) and it is first rate. Site is wuyiorigin.com. Cindy (who speaks and writes English) has a wealth of knowledge and LOVE discussing tea with all comers.
Nis

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:17 am

CWarren wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:15 am
Can’t speak from personal experience but have heard great things from tea friends about this eighty year old family farm: http://www.chaozhouteagrower.com/

They are Wudongtea on Instagram. Quite a few nice looking offerings on their site.
I'm one of the suckers that they contacted on Instagram :oops:

I got three samples (ranging from 6 to 10 grams) and 100g of Da Wu Ye.

I have now tasted all four and I was... not impressed. In fact, it's probably the worst tea I've ever had!

The Yu Lan Xiang and Da Wu Ye were both obviously flavoured with additives, with the base tea not having much flavour on its own. The Yu Lan Xiang was in-your-face floral for the rinse and first infusion, and then basically nothing but some bitterness which lasted until the sixth steep, at which point there was absolutely nothing left. The Da Wu Ye had a nasty aftertaste and the leaves in the bag smell of chemicals - I only made it to the fourth steep before giving up.
The Ya Shi Xiang and Fenghuan Mi Lan Xiang I'm not sure were flavoured - they didn't really taste of enough for that to be the case - they were just bad and kind of nasty.

I brewed them all at 100C and flash infusions (~ 10 seconds).

My tasting notes: https://trello.com/b/993NiZZ9
Ragamuffin
Artisan

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Brent D wrote:
Bok wrote:

You could try Wuyi Origin. Cindy sells direct; both Wuyi and Dancong. The DC comes from her husband's family farm. I currently am drinking the lao cong mi lan xiang (just reviewed by teaformeaplease.com) and it is first rate. Site is wuyiorigin.com. Cindy (who speaks and writes English) has a wealth of knowledge and LOVE discussing tea with all comers.
I tried their Ya Shi Xiang, and while I may not be as well versed in Dancong as othes here I thought it was excellent and didn't seem to be duped.
Nis

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Ragamuffin wrote:
Tillerman wrote:
- snip -

I tried their Ya Shi Xiang, and while I may not be as well versed in Dancong as othes here I thought it was excellent and didn't seem to be duped.
Are you talking about Wuyi Origin or Chaozhou Tea Grower/Wudong Tea? Wuyi Origin is well regarded. It's Chaozhou Tea Grower that has some "quality issues".
Ragamuffin
Artisan

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:53 pm

Nis wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:49 pm
Ragamuffin wrote:
Tillerman wrote:
- snip -

Are you talking about Wuyi Origin or Chaozhou Tea Grower/Wudong Tea? Wuyi Origin is well regarded. It's Chaozhou Tea Grower that has some "quality issues".
Wuyi Origin, I haven't ordered form Wudong
aet
Vendor

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:27 pm

just looking at that site. I didn't know that they have 400y old trees there? According Chinese research statistic there is no any tree older than 200y.
ShuShu

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:50 pm

+1 for wuyi origins DC
Psyck

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 am

aet wrote:
just looking at that site. I didn't know that they have 400y old trees there? According Chinese research statistic there is no any tree older than 200y.
None older than 200? They are now faking research statistics too? :)
aet
Vendor

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:20 am

Psyck wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 am
aet wrote:
None older than 200? They are now faking research statistics too? :)
I don't know. What is your knowledge about that? please share:-)