Semi-oxidized tea
Victoria
Admin

Wed May 29, 2019 4:41 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:24 pm
Dresden wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:23 pm
Enjoying a lovely Summer 2016 Yǒujī dōngfāng měirén from Tillerman. Fragrant with notes of honey, peach and perhaps a touch of citrus. Long lingering aftertaste with a sweetness that reminds me of cane sugar. Absolutely delicious!
I do not know how to put all those accents on top of vowels. I would have just said Oriental Beauty. Easier to spell. :D Anyway glad you reported back & memory of Victoria & I about O.B. from 2016 was correct.
Haha Ethan, I think if you have a multi-language keyboard those characters appear on their own, unless you specifically switch back to English. I actually still have some 2016 Bai Hao (Oriental Beauty) from Floating Leaves and it is great, just like you said.
pantry

Wed May 29, 2019 5:01 pm

If you’re on iOS, simply press the main letter (e) and hold to see options for è é ê ë ē, etc
Victoria
Admin

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:28 pm

Wow, sipping on Origin’s 2010 Traditional High Fire Lishan. 6gr/70ml in Yamada Sou’s mayake kyusu. After thinking about @Bok’s post regarding porous clay and high fired oolong I went for the best. Only 6grams left, will save to share this truly great oolong; rich spicy viscous malty raisin camphor notes... lingering palate... ahhhh
Tillerman
Vendor

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:53 pm

Generally I have avoided ya shi xiang as I tend to think most people buy it purely for the name (I still do.) However, at the moment I am drinking a delicious single-tree specimen from the Zhou family of Chaozhou. It is very good. Brewed in a 150ml gaiwan half filled with leaf. 10s first steep using 100C water. Rich and unctuous, very balanced structure with firm acid line at the base of the tongue. Long and persistent. Highly recommended despite its name .
_Soggy_

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:50 am

Drinking some lovely Gold Medal RouGui from Old Ways Tea. This stuff has some xtra sauce on it. Very very good. I'm taking too long between sips from all this complexity that i'm tasting after.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:58 pm

_Soggy_ wrote:
Drinking some lovely Gold Medal RouGui from Old Ways Tea. This stuff has some xtra sauce on it. Very very good. I'm taking too long between sips from all this complexity that i'm tasting after.
I see Old Ways Tea has several RouGui selections. Have you tried any other of their RouGui selections? Don’t know company, ordered much from them? I’ve been wondering what time of year it is harvested and how long it is aged before selling. Several reputable RouGui vendors have very short supplies at the moment. @octopus
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:17 pm

Victoria wrote:
_Soggy_ wrote:
I see Old Ways Tea has several RouGui selections. Have you tried any other of their RouGui selections? Don’t know company, ordered much from them? I’ve been wondering what time of year it is harvested and how long it is aged before selling. Several reputable RouGui vendors have very short supplies at the moment. octopus
Yancha should be spring harvest, sold the year afterwards.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:26 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Generally I have avoided ya shi xiang as I tend to think most people buy it purely for the name (I still do.) However, at the moment I am drinking a delicious single-tree specimen from the Zhou family of Chaozhou. It is very good. Brewed in a 150ml gaiwan half filled with leaf. 10s first steep using 100C water. Rich and unctuous, very balanced structure with firm acid line at the base of the tongue. Long and persistent. Highly recommended despite its name .
when I went to Guangzhou recently, funnily most of the shops I sampled tea were offering Yashi as the default sample tea. Maybe it is just very common and or easier to grow?

Notably, none of the vendors mentioned any background story or referenced the sh** at all. Funny names (if you think a out it) often are so only outside of their cultural context. Reminds of how there is a phrase in continental Spanish that literally says “I shit on the milk” me cago en la leche, expressing surprise about something...

I have had several Duckshit which were all premium teas in my book. Better than most of the Taiwanese Oolongs I normally have.
Rickpatbrown

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:45 pm

Dayuling on the creek. Absolutely gorgeous day here in Maryland.

I have to say. Although it really is a wonderful experience drinking tea in nature, it can be difficult to focus on and appreciate the tea. Next time, I'll probably take a lower grade tea out with me.
Attachments
20190609_175928.jpg
20190609_175928.jpg (355.2 KiB) Viewed 6477 times
20190609_180125.jpg
20190609_180125.jpg (272.25 KiB) Viewed 6477 times
pantry

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:44 pm

_Soggy_ wrote:
Drinking the same tea today! :lol:
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Victoria wrote:
_Soggy_ wrote:
I see Old Ways Tea has several RouGui selections. Have you tried any other of their RouGui selections? Don’t know company, ordered much from them? I’ve been wondering what time of year it is harvested and how long it is aged before selling. Several reputable RouGui vendors have very short supplies at the moment. octopus
Old Way is a very good yan cha supplier - the gold medal rou gui probably is the nicest example I ever have drunk. I highly recommend this vendor
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:21 pm

Bok wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:26 pm
Tillerman wrote:
when I went to Guangzhou recently, funnily most of the shops I sampled tea were offering Yashi as the default sample tea. Maybe it is just very common and or easier to grow?

Notably, none of the vendors mentioned any background story or referenced the sh** at all. Funny names (if you think a out it) often are so only outside of their cultural context. Reminds of how there is a phrase in continental Spanish that literally says “I shit on the milk” me cago en la leche, expressing surprise about something...

I have had several Duckshit which were all premium teas in my book. Better than most of the Taiwanese Oolongs I normally have.
Cindy Chen has told me that ya shi xiang is the most favored tea by the locals.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:21 pm
Cindy Chen has told me that ya shi xiang is the most favored tea by the locals.
there we have it! The locals also seem to favour to brew it more strongly, actually looking for that bitterness. For me Dancong is more flowery and female in character (no prejudice intended!), compared to yancha for example. Funnily one vendor I was sampling with, actually stated the opposite, saying that Dancong is a manly tea.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:53 pm

Bok wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:00 pm
there we have it! The locals also seem to favour to brew it more strongly, actually looking for that bitterness. For me Dancong is more flowery and female in character (no prejudice intended!), compared to yancha for example. Funnily one vendor I was sampling with, actually stated the opposite, saying that Dancong is a manly tea.
I agree, making broad generalizations, that DanCong has more ‘feminine’ characteristics, Imen at TeaHabitat mentioned the same, and I’ll add pu’erh feels more ‘masculine’ in character overall. Yancha to me on the other hand feels robustly gender neutral :) .
octopus
Vendor

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:27 am

Victoria wrote:
I see, you can probably ask directly @@OldWaysTea for more specific questions.

Yancha it is mainly harvested in spring when is ready although you can find some "dongpian" version (harvested in autumn/winter) which unlike for other regions who value quality of winter tea such as fragrance, can be quite nice but is not considered as valuable as spring yancha and the price is lower (but takes same big effort to make as spring one so is often considered not worth it and people are worried it might spoil spring harvest quality to pick it) but i think dongpian can be nice for what it is and is quite affordable due to market.

The spring tea usually takes a while to be ready depending on how is the processing, some light processed tea 2019 is already ready for sale now. Those processed with stronger oxidation that will get roasted more times or selected by hand will be ready when they are ready, meaning not much but that depends when people make them. Most tea is ready by summer but some spring teas exceptionally deep in flavor can be ready even in autumn, winter or next year for all I know.
I think anyone selling tea will try to sell it in a way that maximizes sales. Especially if this is their profession there is no point in "aging" a tea for no reason. Whatever customer want they will get. Some rougui might be sold today, some might be sold be next year, some might even be sold now as fresh then roasted over the course of the year and sold like that from then on. i suggest to try as many examples as possible and see what you like best. Who knows. I think in general as bok said now is a perfect time to drink any 2018 tea. It should all be delicious but then which tea depends a lot on what one likes to drink really. For example im so used to drinking freshly roasted teas that I won't be sensible to the roasted tea flavor after few weeks of settling while others need to wait a longer time (in which case the solution is buy lighter teas or wait before drinking that one tea) flavor also changes so waiting a few months really can make a difference but is also fun to have a tea and try it over time to see how it develops.

Finally, having big or short supplies available of something is kind of unrelated I think. It is a somewhat personal choice that has nothing to do with tea quality or tea price. one can buy 100kg of tea and not sell them or 1 kg and not sell it or vice versa. To be honest i think i always buy too much rougui (got 4 from 2018) for it to make sense from a business perspective but just because I love rougui and drink a lot of it. So I would say its up to anyone to decide when to buy and especially when to drink what tea but knowing it will change over time and is probably better to buy a tea sooner than later if one likes it. Might not ever be available anymore the same exact tea.

I suggest in general to try as many teas and shops as you can to find your own opinion because other people online or anywhere might have different taste and experience. Which makes drinking tea a pretty lonely experience sometimes.