Introduce Yourself

Jo
Mrs. Chip

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:33 am

Hello hawkband1, happy you joined us. See you around.
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 am

BendTea, welcome to our forum. Looks like you're going down the Tea Rabbithole, came to the right place to get you started.

Enjoy, looking forward to your participation.
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:38 am

Welcome to our teaforum pantry !!!

It's a great place to share your love of tea, and to learn a few things too.
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:40 am

Hi Sweetestdew!!

Nice background information. Good luck with your endeavors. Happy you joined us.
Trusar

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:42 pm

How long have you been drinking tea?

since I was two years old, which was around 1985. I asked my grandad for some tea, because i saw the whole family drinking it. They looked like they were enjoying it as they were slurping on their tea.

What kind of tea do you drink?

I drink oolong, white tea, wuyi rock, and black tea. sometimes black tea boiled with milk and tea spice

How do you prepare your tea?

in a chinese clay teapot, a gaiwan, cold brewed for a few days at room temp, or boiled in a pot over the cooker

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
brewing vessels and what they are made from, as well as tea types etc

What is your location?
London
LuckyMe

Thu May 02, 2019 4:17 pm

Hey everyone, I'm Ali. New to this site but long time Steepster user. Hoping to find some stimulating discussion with like minded teaheads here :)

I reckon I've been drinking tea for 15 years or so but only seriously got into tea about 5 years ago.

Green tea is my favorite - both Japanese and Chinese greens - followed closely by Taiwanese oolongs. I like black tea, white tea, and herbals as well but reach for them less frequently. Not much a fan of puerh though.

90% of the time I'm drinking straight tea. I'm okay with blends as long as they don't taste fake. I tend to go for naturally scented teas (e.g., jasmine, osmanthus, sakura, etc),

Gongfu style or semi-gongfu. No milk or sweetener with the exception being matcha lattes, london fogs, and kashmiri chai.

Sharing brewing knowledge, tasting notes, and learning about teaware.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?

I enjoy the taste of tea, of course, but its about more than just that. As I've delved deeper into tea, I've become enamored with the aesthetics of tea, brewing techniques, its meditative qualities, as well as Asian pottery. Tea has evolved into so much more than just a beverage, its a passion and a way of life.

What is your location?

Chicago
Victoria
Admin

Thu May 02, 2019 4:30 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @Trusar and @LuckyMe. Several members from London and Chicago on the forum, maybe one day you meet up with them and share some tea.
Lasa

Fri May 03, 2019 6:43 am

I have been drinking tea for 10 years. Started with Genmai cha and some Jasmine. My preferred tea supplier changed their sourcing. So I picked up other teas trying to find a good replacement. It’s been a quite a journey since then.

Green tea - Sencha, matcha, some Chinese greens, and more recently some Darjeeling green. Oolongs both green and roasted, really like some Dancong, but also like Lishan and Dayuling. Some ripe puerh, occasionally some first and second flush Darjeeling

How do you brew your tea?
Gongfu for the oolongs and puerh, mostly western style for the greens.

What kind of factors keep you delving into tea?
I just enjoy it, enjoying drinking tea rally look forward to it. Tea is so different...some days I crave a Dancong, sometimes only a sencha will work. I never know what I feel like drinking. So I keep exploring
Dresden

Sat May 11, 2019 9:49 pm

Hello Ladies and Gents,

Just a quick hello. It has been quite some time since I posted anything in any tea forums. Honestly, my last period of regular posing was all the way back in 2012, although if I recall correctly the last correspondence i had was with Victoria a few years back.

I do recognize many of you from the old Teachat forum and it is nice to see some familiar faces. You may remember me mainly from the Green tea forums as well as several of the OTTIs that were put together by Chip. I hope to be around much more oftten than I have in the past.

Regards,
Mike
Dresden

Sat May 11, 2019 10:18 pm

I have been drinking (real) tea since 2009

Really I'll try anything but greens and oolongs are my favorites.

Usually with a Gaiwan or Kyusu

I am interested in regaining my bearings after being out of the game for a while.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
I always enjoyed tea and then one day someone showed me the way of whole leaf tea. I have been hooked ever since.

What is your location?
Louisiana
pedant
Admin

Sat May 11, 2019 10:28 pm

Welcome, @Dresden!
Victoria
Admin

Sat May 11, 2019 10:49 pm

Yes ,Welcome back @Dresden I remember you where at the edge of the gulf finishing a masters in mathematical statistics and we discussed doing another OTTI. Good to hear from you. New Orleans? and how did you happen to find us?
Dresden

Sat May 11, 2019 11:45 pm

Very good memory Victoria!

Yes, I did end up finishing my Masters in Mathematical Statistics. I got hired as a statistician and moved to Nashville, TN in late 2013 (Shout out to Jenny at Music City Tea).

I lived in a suburb of Nashville until early 2017 when the company I work for presented me the opportunity to work remotely. At that time I moved back to South Louisiana. Yes, I say the New Orleans area but in all honesty I am actually about 45 minutes further south than that.

I found this place because I was browsing tea sites one day (surprising I know) and I decided to go see if I recognized anyone from the old forums. I found this place mentioned in one of the threads there. Glad I did!
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Sun May 12, 2019 11:39 am

Glad you found us Dresden, looking forward to your posts!
hardus77
New user

Fri May 17, 2019 6:04 am

Hello everyone,

Although most people don’t realize it, habits have the power to completely turn your life around. They’re at least as powerful as green tea.

This is my story of green tea, the power of healthy habits, and becoming superhuman.

In 2007 I started working full-time for an education consulting company that was chock-full of caring, emotionally intelligent, mature people who believed in the power of yoga, eating healthy, non-violent communication, & occasionally crystal healing.

It was a wonderful, healing work environment. My job consisted of spending as much of the day as possible on the phone with college students, encouraging them in their studies, asking them how their life could be better, & confronting their limiting beliefs.

All my co-workers were doing the same thing. So it was essentially a boiler room operation, except instead of pushing overpriced stock on unsuspecting rubes with too much liquidity, we were pushing self-improvement on unconfident first-gen college students with too much debt.

One of the many benefits of this job was that it forced me to examine my own life more closely. I had been struggling to get into a meditation practice for years — I knew intellectually that meditation was the right thing to do, but I lacked the willpower. Similarly with going to the gym. Similarly with figuring out a clear spiritual path. Similarly with improving my diet.

I knew all these good things to do: I just lacked the willpower to do them on any sort of regular basis.

Luckily, the job provisioned me — as a condition of my employment — with mentors and supportive colleagues of all kinds. In such a healthy and pro-change environment, it was perhaps inevitable what happened next:

I started drinking green tea.

I started drinking a lot of green tea.

You might think that this would be a totally innocuous life change, and it was . . . at first. But it quickly grew and became something far less innocuous.

The apparent cause of this change was reading a short article that presented evidence that Japanese men who drank 4-6 cups of green tea daily had reduced rates of cancers of all kinds. This isn’t the article in question, but it still collects a solid body of evidence so you can get the idea, and it also features one of the best sentences written about green tea’s effects ever:

When confronted with a cancerous cell, green tea becomes the plant kingdom’s Arnold Schwarzenegger, helping to terminate cancer cells in a remarkable number of ways.

I remember thinking: “Ok, Japanese men who drink 4 – 6 cups of green tea per day cut their chances of getting various cancers from 33% to 75%. That’s probably the best guarantee anyone can give me. I don’t want to get cancer: ergo, I should start drinking 4 -6 cups of green tea per day.”