What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
Psyck

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:35 am

oolongfan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:43 pm
... I would be happy to send you a sample (when I get the cake) if you want to re-try it.
Good to have a lot of tea friends to share with. As for me, I've unfortunately had to throw away a few unliked teas in the past so am very careful on what I get especially in larger quantities. I still have the rest of my MCA sample as I only tried it once, hopefully you like it much better than I did.
debunix wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:20 pm
I have a bin full of hungry worms who willingly compost the occasional fresh but undrinkable/wouldn't inflict on my enemy teas as well as the spent leaves. The garden accepts it all gratefully.
Nice to be able to compost all your tea leaves. Some of my stale teas go into making kombucha.
debunix

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:08 am

Now squeezing some of the last goodness (and there is a lot of it) out of more of the 2009 Norbu Lao Mansa before the leaves join the compost bin.....
oolongfan

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:34 pm

Psyck - I feel your pain. I wish we were all closer...it would be wonderful to give away the teas that you do't like...and in return, get new teas to try from friends.

I will post my tasting notes once I get the MCA cake :)

edited: because I reversed the MCA initials to resemble a popular movie chain ;)
Teachronicles

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Having a session the of the wisteria blue mark, I won here on teaforum
Rui

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:36 am

2017 XIAGUAN JINCANGER GOLDEN CANG ER TUO purchased from King Tea. A sheng said on the website to be "A tea blended with tea materials picked up in 2014 from GuShu (old tree) of BanZhang tea region and in spring of 2015 year from GuShu of YiWu tea region."

It is definitely a very yummy tea and it was worth every penny.
swordofmytriumph

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:09 pm

Intrigue from Crimson Lotus. Tastes especially good today, getting a lot more vegetal notes than usual. :D
lopin

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:20 am

Xiaguan BengLong Tuo 2017

d.manuk

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Today I had 2 different LBZ spaced a few hours apart.

First of the day was 2017 Hai Lang Hao "Lao Ban Zhang Gu Shu" Ancient Arbor Raw Pu-erh Tea Cake. I had a bigger breakfast before having but even still it was so strong. Not very bitter but it certainly had some bite, though I brewed with care. It felt like I drank a lot of coffee but without feeling wired, just really flying through space.

The second was 2009 Lao Ban Zhang Premium Raw Pu-erh Tea Cake, produced by Yunnan Sourcing. This one is much more refined and drinkable, though as a result had slightly less punchy flavor. The energy of the tea is nice and the mouthfeel is thick. Made me feel more "drunk" and less "wired" like the 2017 did. Kind of sleepy almost, so I prefer the younger one. The flavor of this tea went away too quickly for me.
teasecret

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 am

2018 "The Box" from White2Tea. Last of a sample. It's stayed well-conditioned in the bag which I kept in the pumidor. This one is mysterious, I'm wondering if anyone else has tried.
Edit, found shah8's post on the sheng of the day forum. He said it was like a fancy sencha with a classic bingdao orange milkshake orchid profile, lots of astringency, long aftertaste. It was obvious after reading, reminds me of a zairai sencha from hojo a lot but with extra complexity. How do I not notice these connections? It must take a bit more focus.
Rui

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:56 am

2018 Mangzhi from Tea Encounters in UK. Very aromatic and mild sweet tasting tea which is pleasing my early morning tea drinking habit.
d.manuk

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:25 pm

I'm having 2006 fall lao ban zhang bought from yunnan sourcing. Compared to the 2009 I reviewed previously, this one is soooooo much better. I definitely get apricot. The strong energy of youth is still gone, but the aging has turned the leaves into something great. Very nice!
debunix

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:29 am

I loved the one sample of 2009 Lao Ban Zhang I bought from Norbu, and quite regretted not buying a lot more at the time. Imagining better....Mmm.

Fortunately I can contemplate this from the comfortable place of having enjoyed some of Norbu's 2009 Lao Cha Tou, which I was smart enough to buy in large quantity. It's very pleasant even if not brilliant like the Lao Ban Zhang. When did you get your 2006?
_Soggy_

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:38 am

Starting off the day with 2017 In Bloom from BLT. picked up some aroma and flavor from last time. I probably should have changed my boveda pack earlier. surprised(shouldn't be) at the markup on this though. I just looked up what they are going for now.
debunix

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:25 am

Many puerhs are delicious but require a deft touch to keep the balance of delicious vs aggressive/bitter/rough aspects. Today, I need to confess that I terribly abused a bit of the 2009 Lao Mansa private label cake from Norbu by setting up a session in Inge Nielsen's lovely gaiwan, but I did not in the end have time to start a new caffeinated session due to cooking taking up more time than expected. This morning, to my horror, I realized that I had started a first infusion, and the leaf sat in that water overnight.

But: this is a generous and lovely tea, and taking that overnight accidental infusion in thirds, diluting it with freshly heated water, and it is fine and welcoming, herbaceous, earthy, with the edge of sharpness but nothing unpleasantly bitter or vile.

Gotta love a tea that responds to abuse with such deliciousness. I wish I had been bold enough to buy a tong of this at the time.
Stephen

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:19 pm

Few highlights from the past few days:

2005 Wild Tree Ye Sheng Cha from YS. Bought a bit of this a few years ago and hadn't brewed it in a while. It brewed quite smooth and pleasant, with less of the spicy-ness of the past.

2005 CNNP 8582. This tea brews with the ease of a shu pu er. One of the few sheng I can tolerate first thing in the morning. A touch of ginseng fragrance. A bit rough around the edges at times.

"1990's Zhong Cha Yi Wi Old Arbor Spring Crop." Descriptions aside the only thing I really know about this tea is that it's sheng pu er, and that I like it. Smooth drinking, a touch of incense and mild huigan. Short on longevity.
Last edited by Stephen on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.