Introduce Yourself

Elise

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:09 am

Welcome to the new members!
@wuyiyancha I also live in Switzerland, Geneva area. If you travel near Geneva, please drop me a message so we could meet to share a cup. :)
fidgetiest

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:50 am

Finally got around to making an account, hi!

I've been drinking tea ~forever, starting with earl grey while watching Star Trek with my Dad, then moving on to mostly oolongs, nowadays mostly yancha, sheng, and aged whites. I gongfu at home and grandpa at work. I live in NYC.
mrmopu

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:11 pm

fidgetiest wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:50 am
Finally got around to making an account, hi!

I've been drinking tea ~forever, starting with earl grey while watching Star Trek with my Dad, then moving on to mostly oolongs, nowadays mostly yancha, sheng, and aged whites. I gongfu at home and grandpa at work. I live in NYC.
I know you! Howdy!
wuyiyancha

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:13 am

Elise wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:09 am
Welcome to the new members!
wuyiyancha I also live in Switzerland, Geneva area. If you travel near Geneva, please drop me a message so we could meet to share a cup. :)
@Elise I haven't been there in all my life but if it happens i will drop you a message ;) Thanks for the invitation. If you ever happen to be in the east please do the same! Would be cool to share a cup sometime.
Elise

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:39 am

:D
Guy_Juan

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:32 pm

How long have you been drinking tea?
Seriously only for two years.

Several years ago a friend was raving about the Chinese tea he was drinking from Amazing Green Tea. I tried it and he was right - it was amazing. I have been gobsmacked by tea since so much so that I regret not having come to tea earlier in life.

What kind of tea do you drink?
Mainly oolongs - Taiwanese high mountain (Lishan mostly), dan congs, wuyi yanchas
Also many blacks/reds and some whites. And greens.
I’ve ordered and enjoyed teas from many of the vendors discussed and recommended in teaforum.org and other tea sites/blogs.

How do you prepare your tea?
Mostly gong fu using a 60 ml gaiwan or pot, which allows me to enjoy much higher quality tea.

I recently purchased my first clay 100 ml and 60 ml Jianshui pots from Crimson Lotus. For me, these really seem to enhance Taiwanese high mountain oolongs and Wuyi yanchas. Dancongs are muted and brewed in a gaiwan.

I also enjoy grandpa style brewing, especially for black teas.

My coffee brewing experience has really helped me understand the basic parameters of tea brewing - water temp, leaf/water ratio, infusion time, turbulence, water quality, etc. with so much more to learn.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
I spend a lot of time researching tea varietals and the techniques and nuances of brewing each. I’m most interested in learning how to maximize what each tea has to offer. I'm realizing there is no end to learning and enjoying tea and tea culture. I also spend a lot of time reading about different vendors to make intelligent buys. Enjoyable, too, is leaning the different ways tea is processed.

Lately I’ve been exploring recipes to remineralize the reverse osmosis water I use for tea making.

I also have a deep attraction to and appreciation of all aesthetic aspects of Asian cultures. I really enjoy learning how these relate to and are expressed through tea and into my own life.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
I’ve always been a foodie, exploring and enjoying the sublime in all things food and drink. I was way into wine for many, many years then went total immersion into all aspects of brewing coffee. I rarely drink either now.

Tea is the latest and most satisfying of these. There is seemingly no end to learning about and enjoying the sublime subtleties of tea and tea culture.

What is your location?
Sunny, warm Saint Paul, Minnesota
debunix

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:41 pm

Welcome to the TeaForum, and hope you have enough tea to warm you up all through your winter!
Guy_Juan

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:59 pm

debunix wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:41 pm
Welcome to the TeaForum, and hope you have enough tea to warm you up all through your winter!
Thanks debunix! I am very well supplied to keep warm. Toasty yanchas fit the bill.
debunix

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:25 pm

It's not nearly so cold in Los Angeles, but some basic Da Hong Pao from Wing Hop Fung is keeping me warm today.
teasecret

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm teasecret, posting from Brooklyn, New York. I run http://teasecrets.home.blog. I've been drinking loose leaf about 9 years, but gongfucha just 1.5 years. I drink mostly puerh of all varieties and ages but I love gyokuro also, and dabble in almost every kind of tea. Right now I'm exploring water for tea, but really also exploring everything I come across, tasting the tea other people make and how different it tastes to what I make. I work at a puerh/tea shop, and I stay interested by focusing intently and drinking tea in different situations, trying to find where it best fits into my life.

Looking forward to great conversations!
Last edited by teasecret on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
noumaminolife

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:00 pm

hello everyone

i am relatively new to the Tea Game

my main focus is Japanese Green Tea and enthusiastically learning and enjoying (and suffering?) from the tea i make

:)
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:45 pm

noumaminolife wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:00 pm
hello everyone

i am relatively new to the Tea Game

my main focus is Japanese Green Tea and enthusiastically learning and enjoying (and suffering?) from the tea i make

Welcome to our forum, you came to the right place to learn. Which sencha have you tried and from where?
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:46 pm

teasecret wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm teasecret, posting from Brooklyn, New York. I run tea secrets blog. I've been drinking loose leaf about 9 years, but gongfucha just 1.5 years. I drink mostly puerh of all varieties and ages but I love gyokuro also, and dabble in almost every kind of tea. Right now I'm exploring water for tea, but really also exploring everything I come across, tasting the tea other people make and how different it tastes to what I make. I work at a puerh/tea shop, and I stay interested by focusing intently and drinking tea in different situations, trying to find where it best fits into my life.

Looking forward to great conversations!
Welcome teasecret, I have seen you around the forum, Glad you are enjoying your journey
noumaminolife

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:09 am

thank you Jo

i have been doing Sencha's from Uji and Shizuoka (Kawane), also some fukumushi from Yame Fukuoka

cherrybomb7

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi Everyone!

How long have you been drinking tea?
For about 8 years, if you are including the first year or two being Teavana/David's Tea blend sorta stuff.

What kind of tea do you drink?
Raw Puerh (I do not like ripe), oolong of the roasted kind - Taiwanese dong ding, Wuyi and Dancong and whites mostly. Old Arbor Red from W2T has me rethinking my blah attitude towards black tea.

How do you prepare your tea?
Gong fu. 100 ml gaiwan and 4 dedicated clay pots.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
More about white teas. How is production different area to area? Are western vendors fueling a caked obsession in the west that they themselves are mimicking from market trends in the east??

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
My first tea memory is tasting a bag of lipton or something of similar quality and thinking you know this tastes mostly like terrible insipid water but underneath that is some sort of biscuit goodness for a black tea or in a green some sortve grassy, floral quality. Of course, that was not there in the lipton tea bag but something just made me think the potential was there in tea. So I kept on moving up and up in the world, pretty quick. I went from lipton, teavana, verdant tea ( :? ) to ordering from fancy puerh boutiques like Essence of Tea in just under 3 years. I find all sorts of wonders on the daily it seems and now I am a little more into oolongs than puerh and also really buying a lot of white tea. This is partly because my life circumstances have changed and I cannot focus for as long on a long puerh session has i used to be able to. Either way, white tea may be my favorite at the moment anyways. That warming, very sweet very spicy, very viscous brew!!