Push notifications -- a useful feature?

Would browser-based push notifications be useful to you?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 12
pedant
Admin

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:45 pm

we're considering spending a small amount of money on something to provide browser-based push notifications for the site.

if a user enabled it, their browser would notify them if they receive a PM, are quoted, are @mentioned, etc. this would work as long as they are logged into the site, but the site does not need to be open. as long as the browser is running (even in the background), it should work.

it would work on desktop and mobile as long as the user allows notifications.

would anyone find this useful? :geek:
Dresden

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:39 am

Very interesting. I can see how people would find that quite useful.

As for myself, it's really a wash because I usually have TF opened in a tab at all times. :D
debunix

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:51 am

I come to Tea Forum when I'm drinking tea and have time; push notifications would feel like an annoying nag. I turn that option off most places where I can, don't let my mail beep at me when new messages arrive, etc. As long as I can turn it off, I don't mind if others want it, but I prefer not to be pushed.
Baisao

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:22 pm

@pedant, thank you for looking into a feature like this. Personally, I only like push notifications from work, which is distraction enough. Because I can subscribe to a topic I don't find a need for push notifications.

I would like to see donations to run the site applied to something more pragmatic (not that I can think of much at the moment) or rolled into next year's budget.

The only think that I think is missing-- and maybe this is already available-- is to have galleries of seals/signatures/forms organized by potter. This could be an enormous resource so long as it is carefully curated. Risks might be copyright infringement on images taken by others of these works, which frankly is the bulk of my documentation.

Cheers
aet
Vendor

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:45 pm

I've activated it on Reddit and FB as well, I guess it's a useful option to have.
Another thing:
It may not be exactly the answer for the question , but I believe it's related to same topic - to get an attention. I was wondering if is possible / logical to switch the function "Activity" other way around.
I mean , each time I go on forum , the first thing I do , is press this button ( Activity ) , because I want to see " The News".
If I want to browse trough the specific categories for whatever reason ( which is usually a secondary reason ..but yes, it is individual of course ) , then press it again and go back to the default page.
Maybe it's only me, so forgive me the question. I still believe to get an attention and therefore keep growing audience is about to feed with news.
Maybe an old habit from steepster where new topics or updated ones were on top page .
.m.

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:17 am

Baisao wrote:
The only think that I think is missing-- and maybe this is already available-- is to have galleries of seals/signatures/forms organized by potter. This could be an enormous resource so long as it is carefully curated. Risks might be copyright infringement on images taken by others of these works, which frankly is the bulk of my documentation.
This would be really awesome to have a resource like that.
aet wrote:
I was wondering if is possible / logical to switch the function "Activity" other way around.
I mean , each time I go on forum , the first thing I do , is press this button ( Activity ) , because I want to see " The News".
If I want to browse trough the specific categories for whatever reason ( which is usually a secondary reason ..but yes, it is individual of course ) , then press it again and go back to the default page.

It might make sense to make the active topics as the default page, i imagine a lot of regular users don't go to the home page that often. Personally its not an issue for me, and i understand reasons to keep the home page. Whatever the case, i find the activity button very useful as a way to go back, so i hope it will stay.

Anyway, i'm really happy with how Teaforum works. Thank you @pedant and @Victoria for doing great job.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:20 am

Baisao wrote:
A way around this might be to process the pictures, at least for the seals: turn them into black and white, crop and outline them.
pedant
Admin

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:54 pm

aet wrote:
It may not be exactly the answer for the question , but I believe it's related to same topic - to get an attention. I was wondering if is possible / logical to switch the function "Activity" other way around.
Maybe it's only me, so forgive me the question. I still believe to get an attention and therefore keep growing audience is about to feed with news.
Maybe an old habit from steepster where new topics or updated ones were on top page .
if i'm understanding correctly, when you're already on the page viewing the new stuff, you want the Activity button to be replaced with Index button taking you to the main page where you see all the categories?

you can click the logo (the leaf image in the middle) to take you to the main page. does that help?
aet
Vendor

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:08 pm

alright ;-) stupid me! , yep, that works. thanks ;-)
Tyler

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:14 pm

Baisao wrote:

Cheers
If you want to do that you could make a subcategory in "Teaware" and use threads to organize the images, like this http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums/fo ... 2d2c4b5cf9.
Baisao

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:49 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:20 am
Baisao wrote:
A way around this might be to process the pictures, at least for the seals: turn them into black and white, crop and outline them.
Great idea!