Porcelain

Psyck

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:37 am

How about renaming Teaware>Porcelain to Ceramic instead? Earthenware, stoneware, porcelain, and pottery objects are all subsets of ceramics.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Seems to me that it is more about brewing properties, e.g. Yixing, Glass, Porcelain etc.
Ceramics is too large a field in my opinion and as you say it would accomodate almost all teaware except metal and glass ones…

Now the earthen and stonewares are divided due to their origin, where it would make sense to add maybe Korea, Taiwan and Western as they each would merit their own, no?
Psyck

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:58 am

Bok wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:46 pm
Seems to me that it is more about brewing properties, e.g. Yixing, Glass, Porcelain etc.
Ceramics is too large a field in my opinion and as you say it would accomodate almost all teaware except metal and glass ones…

Now the earthen and stonewares are divided due to their origin, where it would make sense to add maybe Korea, Taiwan and Western as they each would merit their own, no?
You are right. We have sections by country (China/Japan) and by type (Glass/Porcelain) and by function (Kettles) and thus there are missing and overlapping sections. Segregating by brewing properties sounds fine to me, but even there, I think renaming porcelain to say 'glazed ceramic' would be better (or adding more sections).