Active posts overview on homepage

TeaZero

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:59 am

First of all, I love this forum. I like the community, I like the design and I like the fact that it's very well moderated. The only thing that I find difficult is to find where the most active conversations are. When I visit the home page, I want to know where everyone online is hanging out and join the conversation. My recommendation would be add a list of topics on the homepage with the latest comments.

Just a suggestion!
Janice

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:57 am

If you check out the Quick Links menu in the upper left corner you'll see that one of the choices is "Active Topics". That might do what you want.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:02 am

Personally, I like it the way it is. More subtle, without clogging up everything. Maybe good to keep a distance to fb and the noisier kind of places. Might keep the trolls away...
pedant
Admin

Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:04 pm

the 'active topics' page is what i look at the most:
search.php?search_id=active_topics

others prefer 'unread posts'.

even though the heaviest users of the site probably use those a lot more than the forum index (since they're pretty familiar with the board and just want to see the latest conversations), i think that hiding said index is too confusing for noobs and non-members. there's a reason that the table of contents goes in the beginning of books.

as for your suggestion: i think that adding a short list of recent topics to the main page isn't a terrible idea, but i don't think i'll do it because it makes the page look less clean, and functionally it's a poor substitute for the full 'active topics' page view. i'll keep it in mind though.
gatmcm

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:13 am

I really missed the recent posts tab in the beginning coming from the other site, but not anymore, really got used to the unread posts, fitting for a someone who is mostly a lurker :lol:
OldWaysTea
Vendor

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:44 am

I'm a fan of the "new posts" link. I bookmarked it in my bookmark bar, and click on it when I want to check. Seems to work well.