Site Feedback & Discussion

pedant
Admin

Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:19 pm

both are leaps and bounds better than phpbb though, which is what this site currently runs on.

the core feature set of phpbb is pretty limited. you need an extension for almost anything. also, the extension community is hostile. it's a waste of time to even contribute anything. they make you jump through too many hoops and lock your stuff in "abandonment hell" if you're not on there all the time. i have also had pretty negative experiences with devs who won't accept very common-sense pull requests to improve their stuff. they're petty.

the discourse dev/support community is awesome in comparison.

if i had to guess, what's really holding phpbb back is resources though. they don't have enough dev time (either paid or volunteer) to improve it to the point of being competitive in the current landscape. i think they'd probably need to do a total rewrite.
pedant
Admin

Sun May 14, 2023 2:48 am

i've made good progress so far on migrating us from phpbb to discourse. it should happen in the near future.

about the impending imgur apocalypse...

imgur is cheaping out. on may 15, they will 'begin deleting' images that have been uploaded anonymously (without an imgur account). not sure if all of them will immediately disappear or what.

anyway, don't worry, the pics will be safe (even the ones in imgur albums) and stored on TF itself after the migration. looks like about 2.7GiB in case anyone was curious.

the migration is coming asap partially because of that. i'll keep you posted, but there will probably be hours or maybe even a day of downtime when the final migration happens. probably sometime within the next week, but i'm not sure yet.