Troubleshooting: Site Issues & Bug Reports

Bok
Vendor

Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:35 pm

Apologies for doing this here, could not reach member otherwise:

@faj you need to delete a few messages before you can receive more, seems your inbox is full! The forum message system allows only limited storage of messages.

Also not to forget to empty the bin.
faj

Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:25 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:35 pm
faj you need to delete a few messages before you can receive more, seems your inbox is full! The forum message system allows only limited storage of messages.
Indeed, that was the problem. It is a bit surprising that the error message does not mention the cause of the issue, only something about messages being unreadable because they are on hold, which makes perfect sense sense... once you know what that means. Thanks!
pedant
Admin

Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:46 pm

didn't know people were running out of room. speak up! :lol:

changed message limit per box from 200 -> 600
and max recipients from 5 -> 15

i could turn it up higher if needed lmk
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:01 pm

Not sure if I am the only one, but I am having the following issue since a few weeks (all this only happens on smartphone, not desktop):

_keep getting signed out of the forum, even if stay signed in is ticked
_keep getting signed out for example after being logged in, writing a message and pressing enter to submit it.
_signing in prompts invalid input message multiple times in a row until it sometimes eventually works.
–experimenting I found it to work better if I sign in "slower" ergo wait a bit after putting in password before pressing sign in

Any input is appreciated and many thanks ahead!
pedant
Admin

Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:37 pm

dunno. i actually want to switch to another forum software, but i haven't had time to do the migration.

phpBB is ok, but it's just too annoying to maintain and update unless you're using it 100% unmodified/uncustomized.
like for almost every single update, nothing added on just works without modification. i have to update the theme and all of my plugins (which requires some coding since i wrote some of the plugins). i would say this is my chief complaint about phpBB. too much maintenance burden.

so, eventually this site will probably use xenforo. a few things about it annoy me, but i'm on some other sites that use it, and i honestly think it's better software from the user's perspective. more featureful, and pictures are easier to work with for example. so assuming the maintenance burden is lower (haven't verified that yet), it should be a win win.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:50 pm

pedant wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:37 pm
dunno. i actually want to switch to another forum software, but i haven't had time to do the migration.

phpBB is ok, but it's just too annoying to maintain and update unless you're using it 100% unmodified/uncustomized.
like for almost every single update, nothing added on just works without modification. i have to update the theme and all of my plugins (which requires some coding since i wrote some of the plugins). i would say this is my chief complaint about phpBB. too much maintenance burden.

so, eventually this site will probably use xenforo. a few things about it annoy me, but i'm on some other sites that use it, and i honestly think it's better software from the user's perspective. more featureful, and pictures are easier to work with for example. so assuming the maintenance burden is lower (haven't verified that yet), it should be a win win.
Sounds good! Appreciate your efforts, thank you for keeping this running behind the curtains!
debunix

Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:21 am

Firefox for mobile has a big regarding cookies that gives similar behavior where it “forgets” logged on status.

It might not be only the forum software.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:41 pm

debunix wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:21 am
Firefox for mobile has a big regarding cookies that gives similar behavior where it “forgets” logged on status.

It might not be only the forum software.
Ah that is a good hint! I will try using another browser and see if the problem persists.
akedomakona

Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:58 pm

I'm no longer receiving email updates on threads I follow - I tried emailing the admin but I'm not sure that went through (or maybe I just didn't receive the response). In any case - it would be great to get emails when certain threads post again.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:45 pm

akedomakona wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:58 pm
I'm no longer receiving email updates on threads I follow - I tried emailing the admin but I'm not sure that went through (or maybe I just didn't receive the response). In any case - it would be great to get emails when certain threads post again.
I had the same issue a while back, one time they landed in my spam folder, unmark as spam and it worked again. The other that was not the issue, but things went back to normal again. Not sure how or why.