Yixing Repair - Gap Filling

Baisao

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:22 pm

A quick web search shows that not all epoxies are food safe. Perhaps you can find a food safe epoxy paste.
ShuShu

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:25 pm

Elise wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 pm
With the epoxy set comes a piece of paste that you can model in the shape you want and then cover with epoxy when it’s dry.
Do you mean in the KINTSUGI DIY REPAIR KIT you posted above?
That's actually an interesting idea
Bok
Vendor

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 pm

I have come across a few antique repaired pieces and they had used some sort of off-white material. Anyone any clues as to what that is?
Elise

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:03 am

ShuShu wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:25 pm
Elise wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 pm
With the epoxy set comes a piece of paste that you can model in the shape you want and then cover with epoxy when it’s dry.
Do you mean in the KINTSUGI DIY REPAIR KIT you posted above?
That's actually an interesting idea
Yes in the kit link I posted above from Humade brand, the epoxy used for this kit seems to be food safe. Maybe they could give more info if contacted directly.
ShuShu

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:52 am

Bok wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 pm
I have come across a few antique repaired pieces and they had used some sort of off-white material. Anyone any clues as to what that is?
Someone just recommended this to me. All their products should be food safe (not sure if BPA free too) and suitable for the material

https://www.jbweld.com/products/waterweld-epoxy-putty
ShuShu

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:01 am

Also - this epoxy putty is Certified to ANSI/NSF Standard 61 for drinking water contact, though that's just for cold water.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/EPXY ... AP_tds.pdf
.m.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:05 pm

It seems that most epoxy is relatively "food safe" when well cured. But none is completely food safe (can leach bisphenols etc). https://www.permabond.com/2017/03/15/fo ... bisphenol/
Also, curing temperature affects heat resistance.
ShuShu

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:40 am

I have been thinking about trying something like a self-hardening clay (like this http://a.co/d/2cd6xcz) to avoid BPA issues and chemicals etc... What do you think?
@pedant
Victoria
Admin

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:19 pm

@ShuShu there is a reply by the producer that when water is introduced to the cured clay it will soften again.
When asked if it is gluten free :) :
“Thanks for getting in touch. Our Air Hardening Modelling Clay does not contain any wheat-based products or other food stuffs. We don’t recommend that it is used to create food vessels as air hardening clay does not go through a firing process (remaining porous), and can reconstitute into soft clay when fluids are introduced.

Hope this helps.
The Mont Marte Team“
ShuShu

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:40 pm

Victoria wrote:
ShuShu there is a reply by the producer that when water is introduced to the cured clay it will soften again.
“Thanks for getting in touch. Our Air Hardening Modelling Clay does not contain any wheat-based products or other food stuffs. We don’t recommend that it is used to create food vessels as air hardening clay does not go through a firing process (remaining porous), and can reconstitute into soft clay when fluids are introduced.

Hope this helps.
The Mont Marte Team“
Thanks, Victoria.
It's so strange how hard it is to get a clear answer about whether all those epoxy putty products are food safe.
I guess the other option is to use Urushi Lacquer with some stone powder but that will be significantly more expensive and I suspect it requires some skill...
Elise

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:49 am

ShuShu wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:40 pm
Victoria wrote:
ShuShu there is a reply by the producer that when water is introduced to the cured clay it will soften again.

Hope this helps.
The Mont Marte Team“
Thanks, Victoria.
It's so strange how hard it is to get a clear answer about whether all those epoxy putty products are food safe.
I guess the other option is to use Urushi Lacquer with some stone powder but that will be significantly more expensive and I suspect it requires some skill...
Urushi repair requires skills indeed, and... it is not 100% food safe either ;)
wave_code

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:18 am

a question for those who have kintsugi repaired pots - I understand that doing real lacquer kintsugi is very difficult and time consuming since you are dealing with a very slow drying and difficult to handle material. but once the job is done if done properly are you ever reluctant to expose repaired pots to high heat? I have a glazed shibo I really enjoyed but the lid met a hard tiled floor and is in several pieces so it has been sitting in a box for a long time. I really liked using it for high heat short steeps, but I am wondering if I get it repaired if I should stick to using it for lower temp brews like sencha or gyokuro. I'm a bit worried about high heat re-softening the lacquer, but maybe that worry is unfounded?
Elise

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:17 pm

I think the worry is unfounded, because some Japanese lacquered pieces are intended to bear heat such as a wooden bowl covered with urushi is made to receive hot miso soup or a wooden lacquered katakuchi is made to receive either cold or hot sake. These two examples are from my own experience, and when I asked the gallery where I bought the lacquered katakuchi the owner told me it was perfectly ok with hot water. The urushi lacquer doesn’t dissolve or melt in water even with heat.