Tea Stains On Porcelain

klepto

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:01 pm

i use citric acid on my electronic tea kettle and baking soda with citric acid on my porcelain teaware
but some brown stains showed up at the bottom of my fairness cup that didn't come out last time I gave it good
bath in those two products. Tea stains on the inside come right out. Do I leave it longer in those chemicals?
Victoria
Admin

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:07 pm

For porcelain just rub a little baking soda paste with your finger, if stubborn let it sit a while, then rub again, if really stubborn use diluted bleach and let that sit overnight. With baking soda rinse with diluted white vinegar to remove all remaining baking soda.
klepto

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:12 pm

Victoria wrote:
For porcelain just rub a little baking soda paste with your finger, if stubborn let it sit a while, then rub again, if really stubborn use diluted bleach and let that sit overnight. With baking soda rinse with diluted white vinegar to remove all remaining baking soda.
Thanks! I'll do that. I'm big on asthetics so those brown stains on beautiful white porcelain must be eradicated :D.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:53 pm

klepto wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:12 pm
Victoria wrote:
Thanks! I'll do that. I'm big on asthetics so those brown stains on beautiful white porcelain must be eradicated :D.
I forgot to mention some like using those magic erasers, works wonders for stains on ceramics. Just make sure to remove those microscopic particles before using.
Dresden

Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:58 pm

A hot water bath of citric acid (same kind used for canning) and baking soda always seems to do the trick for me. Stains just melt away.
pedant
Admin

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:06 am

klepto wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:01 pm
i use ... baking soda with citric acid on my porcelain teaware
Dresden wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:58 pm
A hot water bath of citric acid (same kind used for canning) and baking soda always seems to do the trick for me. Stains just melt away.
you both are using baking soda and citric acid at the same time? if so, why?
Dresden

Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:47 am

pedant wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:06 am
you both are using baking soda and citric acid at the same time? if so, why?
Most cleaning products are made of "surfactants" and "builders". Surfactants reduce the surface tension between the liquid and the object being cleaned. Citric acid is one such surfactant.

On the other hand, builders enhance the cleaning efficiency of the surfactant, help prevent redepositing during washing, and emulsify oils. The mixture of citric acid and baking soda causes an endothermic reaction to form sodium citrate and carbon dioxide. Sodium citrate is a common builder used in detergents that works by reducing water hardness.

The key for this mixture is to not use so much baking soda that it completely neutralizes the citric acid. You want to have both the surfactant and builder present in the mixture.
StoneLadle

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:03 am

It's nice to have it clean, but as time passes , as the glaze gets punished over and over again, it's gonna crack...

When the spiderwebs appear , at first fine and then later perhaps coarser, they will etch and stain... Attempts at cleaning will prove futile, so the stories shall remain
oeroe

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:51 am

I've had good experiences with sodium percarbonate, especially vintage porcelain can be difficult to clean otherwise.