Cleaning: Awakening & Resetting Unglazed Ceramics / Yixing

Baisao

Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:57 pm

Not descaling until it is a problem probably avoids the discomfort of adjusting to water that will taste different. Someone becomes habituated to the tastes of their water from a scaled-up kettle, removes the scale, and now the water doesn’t have the same characteristics and seems unpleasant. They will likely grow accustomed to the flavor produced by their cleaned kettle after a half dozen sessions. And the process repeats.
pedant
Admin

Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:26 am

botlofchaz wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:29 pm
Did you descale your kettle because it wasnt functioning properly? I've read in a couple of places now that descaling can affect the characteristics of tea and therefore should not be done. The last place I read that was on Hojo's website... whether there is any validity to it, I'm not sure. But curious to hear if there are pros/cons to descaling.
i just did it because i was bored.
Baisao wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:57 pm
They will likely grow accustomed to the flavor produced by their cleaned kettle after a half dozen sessions.
i agree. mine's already improving after several refills. i would say that not all of it is habituation to the new state of the kettle, though. the first few sessions were objectively bad, and i think that's just how it goes when you descale a stainless kettle.
debunix

Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:31 am

I descale my kettle when it can’t since temperature properly because the scale is too thick over the temperature sensor.
botlofchaz

Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:25 pm

Thanks for all of the responses!