Cleaning: Awakening & Resetting Unglazed Ceramics / Yixing

Ackernym

Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:56 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:15 pm
Time is precious, vinegar is stinky and boiling is risky. I'd go straight to percarbonate
[/quote]

Thanks! Yeah I'll definitely keep that in mind the next time I need to clean out any of my clay teapots, because cleaning my pot this time took SEVERAL HOURS :D
faj

Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:45 am

LeoFox wrote:
Time is precious
That is what I tell my kids all the time, but usually the life advice that follows is not about the use of percarbonate. And falls on deaf ears. :D

But yeah, percarbonate works great. With clay items, but also with glass items that get stained and cloudy.
TeaTotaling

Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:50 pm

faj wrote:
LeoFox wrote:
Time is precious
That is what I tell my kids all the time, but usually the life advice that follows is not about the use of percarbonate. And falls on deaf ears. :D

But yeah, percarbonate works great. With clay items, but also with glass items that get stained and cloudy.
:lol:

Do you know if percarbonate is porcelain safe? I'm wondering if it might have a corrosive affect on the glaze. I have some glazed wares that could use an effortless cleaning solution.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:17 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
Do you know if percarbonate is porcelain safe? I'm wondering if it might have a corrosive affect on the glaze. I have some glazed wares that could use an effortless cleaning solution.
For porcelain I recommend baking soda and vinegar mix, let it sit a while, very lightly rub, wash with water, followed by a white vinegar wash to balance Ph. A 50/50 mixture of bleach can be used also, letting it sit a while. Percarbonate is safe for porcelain, glass, clay, fabric, rugs… but a step up in terms of chemical reactivity. Sometimes the quickest solution is not the most prudent, if repeat applications are a given.
Baisao

Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:29 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
faj wrote:
LeoFox wrote:
Time is precious

It’s absolutely porcelain safe. A soak in a little warm water with percarbonate and wipe with a Magic Eraser and you’re good.
TeaTotaling

Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:30 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:17 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
For porcelain I recommend baking soda and vinegar mix, let it sit a while, very lightly rub, wash with water, followed by a white vinegar wash to balance Ph. A 50/50 mixture of bleach can be used also, letting it sit a while. Percarbonate is safe for porcelain, glass, clay, fabric, rugs… but a step up in terms of chemical reactivity. Sometimes the quickest solution is not the most prudent, if repeat applications are a given.
@Victoria Makes perfect sense to me, thank you for the guidance.
TeaTotaling

Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:32 pm

Baisao wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:29 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
faj wrote:

It’s absolutely porcelain safe. A soak in a little warm water with percarbonate and wipe with a Magic Eraser and you’re good.
Spoken like a percarbonate pro! Thank you @Baisao.