pedant
Admin

Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:55 pm

I'd scrub with baking soda paste and a qtip or paper towel covered finger
OhThatNinja

Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:53 pm

debunix wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:15 pm
The percarbonate might be a good next step.
Sounds good. I'll give it a try.
OhThatNinja

Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:37 pm

Update:
after four boiling sessions with baking soda and citric acid (I used lemon juice) alternating them, most of the stains came off! There are faint stains here and there but if you look at my previous picture, this is day and night.
Old Yixing - after baking soda and citric acid baths.jpg
Old Yixing - after baking soda and citric acid baths.jpg (88.72 KiB) Viewed 49 times
I'm pretty happy with this result and might even call it a day. I did search for sodium percarbonate on Amazon but it seems to be out of stock at the moment.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:29 pm

OhThatNinja wrote:
Update:
after four boiling sessions with baking soda and citric acid (I used lemon juice) alternating them, most of the stains came off! There are faint stains here and there but if you look at my previous picture, this is day and night.

I'm pretty happy with this result and might even call it a day. I did search for sodium percarbonate on Amazon but it seems to be out of stock at the moment.
Looks very good! Congrats. Hopefully the lemon juice had all organic particles filtered out, since that could lead to mold. White vinegar works well. In the USA percarbonate is expensive, so baking soda really is a good alternative for less problematic staining and encrusted build up.
OhThatNinja

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:23 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:29 pm
OhThatNinja wrote:
Update:

Looks very good! Congrats. Hopefully the lemon juice had all organic particles filtered out, since that could lead to mold. White vinegar works well. In the USA percarbonate is expensive, so baking soda really is a good alternative for less problematic staining and encrusted build up.
Thanks, Victoria!
This spot spent almost entire day on the stovetop today but it was definitely worth it. I followed up with white vinegar after the last baking soda bath (that was suggested in your guide actually) so technically I've tried all three (baking soda, lemon juice and vinegar). That is probably as clean as it will get without percarbonate.
debunix

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:05 am

You can bake baking soda to generate washing soda, that might be a bit stronger as a cleaning agent.