TeaLife.HK: Premium High Roast Shuixian (50g)

Goods at good prices for a good cause
pedant
Admin

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:31 am

TeaLife.HK: Premium High Roast Shuixian (50g)

$30 USD sold
(Actual retail value: $40 USD)
This item was generously contributed by @tealifehk. 100% of proceeds go to Tea Forum.

Free shipping worldwide except to countries that do not deal with HK Post (e.g. Italy). If this is the case, buyer pays shipping.

tealifehk.com wrote: This shuixian is supplied by a family I source much of my traditional storage pu erh from. I've done business with the family for years, and am only just now getting around to trying their shuixian. This is the highest grade of shuixian they carry, and I must say, it vastly exceeded my expectations. At present, this is my favorite of all the shuixian I offer, with the exception of the much more expensive old bush shuixian!

While I have tried rolled oolongs from this family (and they have also been outstanding value for the quality), this shuixian really makes my day every time I drink it. The material used for this tea is excellent, and there are no flaws to this tea whatsoever. Not a hint of unpleasantness, harshness or excessive roast with this one. There are lots of mineral notes to the finish here, which is what some Wuyicha aficionados believe is a sure sign of zhengyan material. While I don't think mineral notes signify origin at all, it is a sign of well-cultivated Wuyicha, and that is definitely what we have here! The processing and roasting of the material were also excellent, and this tea is truly great for the money. I don't know if this tea was roasted over charcoal or in an electric oven (and neither does the vendor: I'll have to ask her father-in-law for the details), but the roast was very well done indeed. This tea was processed in Fujian instead of Hong Kong, but was roasted to a traditional level to meet Hong Kong-market demand.

The dry leaf smells of milk chocolate with clean shuixian character. This tea isn't as highly roasted as the Three Stamp Shuixian or the 2000s Hong Kong High Roast Shuixian offered here at TeaLife. When I first tried this tea in 1980s zini, the minerality and roast notes combined to taste almost marine to me. I did not detect this marine note when I tried this tea again: I did, however, taste caramel and spices (much like a Christmas pudding, for example).

There is absolutely no astringency or bitterness here. The flavor is clean and pure shuixian with a lovely almond finish that I associate with the best Wuyicha. I feel this tea is the best quality shuixian I've ever had at this price point, and I think many regular shuixian drinkers will feel the same way. While I initially felt the roast was slightly too dominant for my tastes, that seems to have dissipated and the tea is now remarkably balanced. The roast definitely tastes a back seat to the natural, clean shuixian flavor this tea offers.

There are also grain (buckwheat) and fruit flavors here. The fruity notes almost verge on dahongpao territory. This is a truly excellent tea, and if you enjoy my other shuixians, I think you will absolutely love this one!
https://www.tealifehk.com/products/prem ... uixian-50g

Details:
  • Weight: 50g
  • Tea type: high roast wuyi yancha oolong

Please click here to remit payment by PayPal and:
  • leave "Paying for goods or a service?" deselected (i.e. use "friends and family")
  • note the item name and your TeaForum username in the transaction
Janice

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:11 pm

Just paid for this tea. I’m a big fan of tealifehk Hong Kong style roast yanchas.
pedant
Admin

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Janice wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:11 pm
Just paid for this tea. I’m a big fan of tealifehk Hong Kong style roast yanchas.
thanks for participating! please pm me your shipping address