Thés du Japon: Sencha from Hon.yama, Tamakawa, Yamakai cultivar (50g)

Goods at good prices for a good cause
pedant
Admin

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:28 am

Thés du Japon: Sencha from Hon.yama, Tamakawa, Yamakai cultivar (50g)

$25 USD sold
(Actual retail value: $33.33 USD)
This item was generously contributed by Thés du Japon. 100% of proceeds go to Tea Forum.

Item location: USA
Free shipping within continental USA

This is one of pedant's favorite senchas of 2018.
thes-du-japon.com wrote: From the first contact with these sublime mountain tea leaves, we are bowled over by the strength of the fragrance that they release. It is a very complex scent, but also very natural, with no excess sweetness.
On the famous Tsukiji tea garden in Tamakawa, teas are finished so as to make them as close as possible to what they are in the fields, to what the earth in which they are grown has given them.
The steaming is minimal and the rolling is perfectly mastered.

This tea is made from the Yamakai cultivar tea plant, which is most famous for shaded production, such as gyokuro. However, this is a pure sencha that reveals the true nature of this reputedly finicky cultivar.
The fragrance of the liquor contrasts with that of the leaves, and it is very fresh, with no heaviness. In contrast, the liquor shows strength and depth. Notes of flowers, berries, peat, a slightly mineral texture, and yet this complexity does not in any way take away from the pleasure of drinking this liquor, of letting it flow down the throat as it deposits its many scents. The mellowness comes out only later, and it is the very special sweetness of sencha, very natural, completely different from the saccharine of amino acids.

This handpicked sencha is especially difficult to describe. You have to try it, befriend it, steep yourself in it to gradually grasp its extraordinary qualities.
http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... anguage=en

Details:
  • Producer: Tsukiji tea garden
  • Type of tea: Futsumushi (normal-steamed) sencha
  • Origin: Terao, Tamakawa Area, Aoi Borough, Shizuoka City, Shizuoka Prefecture
  • Cultivar: Yamakai
  • Harvest: April 29th, 2018, handpicked
  • Weight: 50 grams

Please click here to remit payment by PayPal and:
  • leave "Paying for goods or a service?" deselected (i.e. use "friends and family")
  • note the item name and your TeaForum username in the transaction
pizzapotamus

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Doing my darndest to find out if one can have too many teas. Hmm, now I'm wondering if it's okay to grab more than one thing from the fixed-price sale? No worries if it's not.
pedant
Admin

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:55 pm

pizzapotamus wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:20 pm
Doing my darndest to find out if one can have too many teas. Hmm, now I'm wondering if it's okay to grab more than one thing from the fixed-price sale? No worries if it's not.
it's absolutely ok