What is the yellow cloth called in a tomobako?

Baisao

Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:23 am

Please remind me: what is the yellow/orange cloth called in a tomobako? I’ve been trying for hours to remember the name of it but cannot recall it.
pedant
Admin

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:41 am

edit: i consulted with an expert and made some corrections:

it's ukon-fu (ウコン布). it means turmeric cloth. i guess traditionally it was cotton dyed orange-yellow with turmeric. possibly to repel insects.

and for fun, some other terms (including characters to help if googling is needed):

the box: tomo-bako (共箱 = joint box)

the ribbon you tie it with: sanada-himo (真田紐)
often it is simply called himo (紐 = twine)
you can find them on places like ebay and etsy if you have a box that's missing one.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:03 pm

I was wondering about those cloths – What is the meaning? Repelling insects has been mentioned, is there more?
pedant
Admin

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:59 pm

from someone wishing to remain anonymous:
Today I do not think natural turmeric is used to dye the cloth any longer unless otherwise stated. The stamp on the cloth can be additional to the stamp on the box, but no all the artists have the same thought. Yamada Sou does not stamp on the Ukonfu, because he said he is not good enough. Some craftsmen do not even sign nor stamp on their boxes as they do not think it is necessary to do so. I am afraid I can not give you a clear answer to it.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:09 pm

I’ve seen the yellow cloth refered as ‘tomokire’ in a few places, ‘accompanying cloth’.

My Yamada Sou also comes with a cloth that is not stamped, although the box is handsigned and stamped. Interesting to know why Sou’s is not stamped. The yellow cloth (tomokire ?) usually does though come with the artist stamp (hanko) when it accompanies the stamped and hand signed tomobako (accompanying box) -at least all the ones I have except Yamada Sou’s.

My own understanding why it is included: Tea utensils are treated with reverence and handled with extreme care in Japan. I think the cloth may be used to dust-off the included item, and to place under the item when handling out of the box. It places the item in a honorific position, symbolically ritualizing the gift inside the box. The accompanying yellow cloth elevates, sets apart as in a ceremony, the item being received. Most items that are given in a stamped and signed box, with the cloth, hold a high position aesthetically, culturally, and are irreplaceable.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:16 pm

@Victoria thanks for the detailed info!
Baisao

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:01 pm

Thank you, everyone! I'll add all this to my Evernote.
rdl

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:18 pm

On a related note, I have long thought about why the cloth often does not have smooth edges, but often they are frayed. I place the idea of perfect along side imperfect, but still I don't feel I have a good reason for finding the cloth frayed as it is. Any thoughts?
Victoria
Admin

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:40 am

I would say the unfinished edge reflects on the impermanence of things.
AozoraE

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:23 pm

^ lol
or perhaps just maybe how/where the cloth is cut after being woven? :D
Victoria
Admin

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:00 pm

I went ahead and asked Asako Isobe a few questions; Why the yellow cloth is included inside the stamped and signed box containing kyusu and chawan; Why the edges of the cloth are left loose without sewing; If the yellow cloth is called ‘Ukonfu’ or ‘Tomokire’.

Asako’s reply;
Hi Victoria,
That is “ukon”.
“Ukon-fu” and “Tomo-gire” are both okay.
“Ukon” is called “turmeric” in English.
Yellow is the color tinted with turmeric. Turmeric has an effect of insect proofing. So it was put inside to protect the wooden box from insects. However, many things dyed with scientific dye are on the market now.
I don’t know why they are not sewn. Sorry😭 However, if insect repelling is a purpose, I think that it is not a problem even if it is not sewn.

I then asked why insect repellent is needed, and the meaning of ‘Tomo-gire’ ;
Asako’s reply;
The insect repellent is not for the pottery, but to protect the wooden boxes.
Because it is a cloth, it can also be used for wrapping pottery.
About “Tomo-gire”.
This is Kanji.
“共布”
共 meaning is “together” and “with”.
布 meaning is “cloth” and “fabric”.
Thank you, Asako
Baisao

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:41 pm

Asako and Victoria for the win!
Bok
Vendor

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:14 am