cold climate storage question

tealifehk
Vendor

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:08 pm

.m. wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:00 pm
tealifehk wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:49 pm
I think people in dry climates who aren't looking to get all into storage may be better off just buying stuff that has been aged naturally in locations where pumidors aren't a necessity, since recreating an ideal climate is extra work and money (especially if humidifiers and heating are required to keep things moving along!
The problem is that a lot of us cannot afford to buy any decent 20-25 year old sheng, not to mention anything older, and may never be. :( On the other hand, one can still buy some 10 year old one, with some naturally hot humid storage, and see if it will age further, even if the subsequent change might be much slower. We'll see in 20 years. :o 8-)
This is true; most 90s sheng cakes are phenomenally expensive now!
John_B

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm living in Bangkok now (related to that first starting point), so I don't really have much input about setting up controlled environments.

I'd agree with comments here that it's probably difficult to kill the bacteria and fungus responsible for fermentation completely dead, that even under relatively poor conditions they'd probably just go dormant and rebound later (but that's based only on intuition, not experience). And maybe that wouldn't work if the tea ever became bone dry for an extended period.

I wrote about the natural storage environments range, looking up climate charts in Hong Kong, Malaysia and Kunming in a post. And also went through relative humidity versus what the air can hold at different levels. Per some input in a discussion "absolute humidity" isn't the right term for the proportion of water to air by weight, but since all that overlaps a little with the work I do (in IT, but related to data center storage environment windows) I showed how it maps out on a psychrometric chart.

If nothing else all that explains why heated winter air becomes so dry, and why fog can occur in the winter when the amount of humidity in the air is really low (in absolute terms).

http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.co ... ative.html