Long-term storage for herbals?

Greybird

Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:46 pm

An herbal blend I've been drinking since the late 80's has ceased to be. I was able to buy about a pound and a half of their remaining loose leaf (it was sold in bags), but once that's gone...

I don't drink this stuff every day. It's a once-a-month sort of thing. So what I just bought is enough for years. It's just a matter of making it last as long as possible.

I normally seal what tea I don't have in (small) canisters in tea in food-grade black mylar bags to keep the light and air out, and have a nice, dark, normally cool shelf for them to live on. Is there anything else I can do to prolong this stuff's life? I know it will eventually fade, I'd just prefer to delay that as long as possible.

As I mentioned, it's not a delicate green - it's an herbal.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:58 pm

Can you share what type of herbs are in this tea? Asking because you may be able to freeze it (removing air and heat sealing first). Also, nitrogen flushing and heat sealing in Mylar bags could help.
Greybird

Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:20 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:58 pm
Can you share what type of herbs are in this tea? Asking because you may be able to freeze it (removing air and heat sealing first). Also, nitrogen flushing and heat sealing in Mylar bags could help.
It took a while to find a retail package (it hasn't been sold at retail in years.) Just from memory...

Hibiscus, orange peel, cinnamon, rose, chicory... I'm not sure what else,
Baiyun

Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:22 pm

I like airtight stainless steel containers with the appropriate percentage boveda pack to control humidity. Some storage containers have slots for these packs in the lid. You'd just have to research what humidity level is most suitable.
Greybird

Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at boveda packs.
pedant
Admin

Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:02 pm

i assume that you want 0% humidity, so no boveda. idk
Balthazar

Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:02 am

As usual, my recommendation would be mylar bag(s). Perhaps one larger for longer term storage and a smaller (zip lock version) for the short term (i.e. the one you open up for your monthly cup).
Baiyun

Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:45 pm

pedant wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:02 pm
i assume that you want 0% humidity, so no boveda. idk
32% is the lowest pack I think, so unless the air at home is lower than that, it would have an effect.

I am not sure about going so low though.

There is a good chance that a bit of moisture in the material would be better than none.

The ideal RH Should be easy enough to research based on the actual stuff.
debunix

Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:47 pm

I’m generally pretty happy with storing my dried ingredients for herbal teas separately in vacuum sealed glass jars. The seals are not as strong as those used in genuine canning, like I get when I pressure can soup stocks, but they definitely help with keeping herbs, beans, grains, fresh in the jars.

Food Savr canning jar accessory