Storing Matcha After Opening - Fridge or Cabinet?

Pan

Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:59 pm

I have seen various sites say that if unused, store your matcha in the fridge, but when opened store in airtight container in a dark place.

The matcha I got from O-cha states to refrigerate and allow two hours to get to room temperature before opening. so I am a bit confused here.
Last edited by Victoria on Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Mod edit: moved topic to Tea Storage forum
Victoria
Admin

Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:47 am

Because Matcha is ground into such a fine powder it deteriorates more quickly than sencha or gyokuro, oxygen being the biggest problem. You can store unopened vacu-sealed packs in the refrigerator or freezer as long as container is moisture, odor and air tight. When removing canister from refrigerator or freezer wait a couple of days before opening, to allow matcha to acclimatize. Once the pack is opened it should be kept in a cool dark place and finished within a few weeks. Since matcha degrades so quickly, and if you are drinking alone, it’s better to buy small 30 gram canisters to avoid deterioration.

One idea, if you think it might take you longer than a few weeks to finish an open pack, is to get a vacu-sealable canister that is small around 1oz. This way you could place the vacu-sealed canister back into the refrigerator until next time. A few examples; 30gr Mini-Vac canister, or slightly larger Tight-Vac canister, or these Air-Scape canisters. Maybe other members have tried these and came comment if they are as air tight as they claim. I’d be interested in the simpler Air-Scape canister except it might be a little large for matcha.

A few existing threads that may be a good reference;
Sencha Storage
Questions about Storing Tea in Refrigerator
Is Refrigeration for Japanese Green Tea Necessary?
Pan

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:37 am

@Victoria thank you much :)
Victoria
Admin

Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:26 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:47 am
One idea, if you think it might take you longer than a few weeks to finish an open pack, is to get a vacu-sealable canister that is small around 1oz. This way you could place the vacu-sealed canister back into the refrigerator until next time. A few examples; 30gr Mini-Vac canister, or slightly larger Tight-Vac canister, or these Air-Scape canisters. Maybe other members have tried these and came comment if they are as air tight as they claim. I’d be interested in the simpler Air-Scape canister except it might be a little large for matcha.
I wonder though if those vacu-canisters would suck up the powdered matcha? @debunix might have some ideas since you’ve posted about using your Food Saver vacuum system with various teas.
olivierd

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:19 am

I would second Victoria in that it is far preferable to buy small boxed quantities. In my experience high end matcha do not offer any value when bought in larger volume. Unopened, the canister can live an easy 3 months in the fridge if not more with no damage. Once opened, two weeks seems to be the max in the fridge. Now, a little oxydation is sometimes welcome in mellowing the tea, but that might be personal taste.
debunix

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:00 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:26 pm
I wonder though if those vacu-canisters would suck up the powdered matcha? debunix might have some ideas since you’ve posted about using your Food Saver vacuum system with various teas.
I’ve never tried it with matcha. I’m opening one matcha pack at a time and using it up as quick as I can, storing in more or less air tight containers at room temp next to my tea table.

I’ve had issues with powdered things sometimes getting sucked up a bit, enough to coat the inside of the sealer, but not bough for me to worry about with low-cost bulk baking ingredients. I would not be eager to try it with fine and finely priced matcha.
Pan

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:52 pm

Im doing what @Victoriaand @debunix have said. I’ve found that matcha gives me a much needed energy boost with no crash during and between meals that helps me get through the day so each matcha tin I get I drink within a week or so, or share with anyone who would like a bowl. the only time I refregierate it is when I am not done with my previous one.