hygrometer recommendations?

wave_code

Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:10 am

I'm working on getting various bins and tins for getting my long-term storage teas in better condition than they have been seeing, and now I've got a bunch of humidity packs too, so its time to start monitoring things... While I think in some ways the best monitor over the long term is one's nose/taste when checking in on teas. I've got one tin that I put a mini humidity pack into and after a week I can already notice much more good aroma when I take the inner lid off than before, so off to a good start. But I do want to see some actual measurements too since its so dry here so I can make sure my humidity is actually getting to where I want it, and to keep a closer eye on it in the summer.

Because the internet continues to devolve into being one giant completely useless amazonpinterestwish.com scam it becomes a daunting endless task to sort junk from non-junk for things like this, so I'm looking for tips. I'd rather get one or two good ones that will last and be accurate rather than a multi-pack of difficult to calibrate inaccurate junk, though if anyone has any good experiences with smaller ones that could be used in smaller boxes/tins that would also be welcome for small scale experiments. I'm looking for something that ships within Europe and ideally doesn't come from Amazon, but obviously folks in different areas would find recommendations for other regions/sellers useful.
Balthazar

Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:04 am

I have been satisfied with these , of which I have 5-6 different ones. They are quite small and the RH figure is the focus of the display. You can see some of them "in action" in this post. Cannot be manually calibrated though, so that's something to take into account.

The vendor has opinions about the accuracy of digital hygrometers. I haven't done any testing of how accurate the ones I have are, beyond keeping them stored together (with a few other ones for reference) and compare the values. They all provide similar outputs except for one of them, that one seems to be 5-10% higher than the rest of the bunch.

That store is a good place to buy Boveda packs too, btw. Located in Germany, with reasonable shipping fees.
26uk

Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:06 pm

Someone recommended inkbird and sensorpush. The insides seem to use the same sensor (accuracy and ranges are same), so I went with inkbird. Can be bought on amazon or inkbird website directly. Inkbird looks to be OEM chinese brand.

It's bluetooth, not wifi. So cannot check if you are away from home. Works good, can manually calibrate, don't have to open container to check. Has alarm feature but I haven't used it. Battery is supposed to last maybe half a year. I've had mine only a month, I think it might make it. Depends also on your sample interval.

Sensor push looks to have a more polished app. Else probably similar.