Sencha Storage

wtreader

Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:46 pm

Hey Everyone,

Looking for some advice on the best methods to store sencha. I have heard about people using the refrigerator, but up till now I have just keep unopened packages in a cool dry space and it seems to work pretty well.

Just wanted to hear everyones expertise on this.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:46 pm

Hello @wtreader there are a few threads regarding keeping teas fresh and storing in Storage & Organization forum so I’ve moved this new topic there and I’ll share here a few useful threads as well. Generally if I’m going to keep a Japanese green unrefrigerated I’ll plan on using it within four - six weeks keeping open packs in a cool dark area. Open packs I seal using GripSticks or metal clips. Long term I’ll refrigerate in special zip lock bags to prevent odor and moisture from getting into teas. I have had great success refrigerating Japanese teas for several years plus some, and have posted about it in a few places on the forum. If you do refrigerate make sure to let cold pack acclimatize for at least 24hrs before opening pack otherwise condensation will ruin your tea, here is a little more detail. Some useful threads on this topic;

Is refrigeration for Japanese green tea necessary?

Questions about Storing Tea in Refridgerator

Green oolongs losing flavor within 2 weeks of opening
wtreader

Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:09 pm

Hey @Victoria oops should have dug around to find a better place to post in.

But thanks for the great summary here! I will definitely move some of the packages I have to the refrigerator that I don't plan to use right after buying.

I generally don't buy in large enough batches that go beyond four - six weeks but things have changed in 2020 and I now have a bigger stockpile to think about keeping fresh.
Pan

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:56 pm

I usually store mine in air tight containers, they turn out quite well, ive had several ones last for at least a year. Key is air tight.