How important is organizing by smell in a pumidor?

Teachronicles

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm new to puer storage and am wondering how important it is to try to separate cakes in your storage based on smell. It's kind of hard to do so as I just have a medium sized cooler as my pumidor atm. But, I do keep some cakes in the paper bags they came in (w2t) with the bags left open, hoping maybe that will preserve some of the original aroma. What do you guys think about this? Is it not that big of a deal? Should I just take the cake out to air out for a few days if I plan on drinking it?
pedant
Admin

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:42 pm

a lot of people recommend keeping young and (semi-)aged sheng separate. also keep shu separate.
but just do what you can and don't worry about it too much imo.
tealifehk
Vendor

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:29 am

I have left traditional storage sheng cakes next to young raw (in home storage) for years and even sandwiched a shu cake between sheng accidentally for over a year...no ill effects whatsoever! I am however more careful with my warehouse storage. Everything is separated by carton.
Atlas

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:57 am

At the least I'd try to separate sheng from shou - I put a tong of W2T Lumber Slut in my pumidor with my sheng and it took about half an hour for it to completely dominate the air in the pumidor. Hard to imagine the shengs wouldn't pick some of that up.
Ludovitche

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:13 am

Do you think each type of hei cha need to be stored independently ?

I'm on the team "all sheng in the same box", but maybe I go too far:
- I'm storing a brick of Liu-an with raw puerh
- I'm storing 20 years old ripe puerh with 1 year old ripe puerh
- I'm planning to store Anhua dark teas with ripe
According to you, should I worry about any of these choices ?