Aging oolong? How to do it?

John_B

Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:07 am

aet wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:43 pm
Well, I had some aged oolong from 95 stored in Thailand ( sample exchange with other vendor ) . I'm not experienced oolong drinker so can not confirm the age but it does taste like ( had a specific notes of ) aged sheng puerh of clean Puer ( Simao ) storage approx from the same time. And as I mentioned in previous post, I'm aware of that nowadays this taste profile can be imitated in shorter time of storage if humidity and ventilation ( air circ. ) set right.
Was it this one? https://tea-side.com/lao-qing-xin-oolong-tea/

I never noticed that version tasting anything like sheng. That vendor (who seems like a decent guy) goes on about cha qi a lot, and in relation to that tea. Since I don't really "get" that it's hard for me to guess if he notices a lot of effect mostly because he expects to.
Baisao

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:45 am

John_B wrote:
That vendor (who seems like a decent guy) goes on about cha qi a lot, and in relation to that tea. Since I don't really "get" that it's hard for me to guess if he notices a lot of effect mostly because he expects to.
I understand a lot of people don’t feel cha qi but to me it is as apparent as a shot of liquor or too much ephedrine: it’s a profound enough effect to not be confirmation bias. Sometimes it’s subtle and nearly every tea has a unique feeling.

I meditate regularly and haven’t consumed alcohol (or any other intoxicant) in almost 20 years. I don’t even smoke or drink coffee.

I’ve started referring to cha qi as “body load” to avoid confusion that it is mystical. I think that there are various causes, most of which are mundane or material.

Some people feel it after marathon tea sessions but this is more likely water intoxication or a saturation of chemicals from the tea has been reached.

It’s ok if you don’t feel it. In fact, I wish I didn’t as it is distracting and limits how much tea I can drink. I couldn’t finish a 3g gaiwan of shan cha a couple weeks back because the effect was so strong and was messing with my vision, making everything more sparkly and vibrant. I was unnecessary for about an hour.
aet
Vendor

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:08 pm

John_B wrote:
aet wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:43 pm
Well, I had some aged oolong from 95 stored in Thailand ( sample exchange with other vendor ) . I'm not experienced oolong drinker so can not confirm the age but it does taste like ( had a specific notes of ) aged sheng puerh of clean Puer ( Simao ) storage approx from the same time. And as I mentioned in previous post, I'm aware of that nowadays this taste profile can be imitated in shorter time of storage if humidity and ventilation ( air circ. ) set right.
Was it this one? https://tea-side.com/lao-qing-xin-oolong-tea/

I never noticed that version tasting anything like sheng. That vendor (who seems like a decent guy) goes on about cha qi a lot, and in relation to that tea. Since I don't really "get" that it's hard for me to guess if he notices a lot of effect mostly because he expects to.
Yep, that's the one.
"I never noticed that version tasting anything like sheng" ....probably misunderstanding. I didn't mean that it tastes like sheng puerh. I was trying to say it has an aged notes like I know from aged shengs ( I could compare to sheng only coz we dont have much oolong available in Yunnan ) .
There is something in taste which identical with shengs from around 2000 Simao ( Puer ) ..basically semi-dry storage, and of course that could be an individual feeling based on many factors along with actual experience of drinking sheng like that before.
It had opened some notes of aged leaf here in Kunming in 1800m alt. on our water, so can not confirm how it tastes in Bangkok in very different environment and quite different water, I presume.
Yet, as I mentioned before , I can not confirm the age since I'm not experienced with oolongs. That's why I also brought up the question about fake aged oolongs as it is done with puerh on "daily basis " , I believe that similar techniques might be applied on oolongs.

"goes on about cha qi a lot" ...I agree on that is the individual feeling , so I do not attach such a "tag" to our products ( but I admit we did before , in very beginning because no experience with selling tea and though this is what foreigners wanted to hear / read ...probably still do ) . Yet, I do not contradict with anyone's Style.
In fact, experienced puer tea drinkers " drink with their body " as well , but if you practice Qi Gong you will probably feel an energy even in glass of water ;-) I've noticed that many ( maybe even the most ) of foreign puerh tea drinkers judging the shengs like a green tea. Focusing on "front" taste rather than after taste with body feel , let alone some "hui gan", that leads the vendors also adjust their description which is already a challenge for online selling puerh tea.

But this is off this topic.
John_B

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:14 am

I'm familiar with the generality that experienced pu'er drinkers "drink with their body." But I'm not convinced that this generality works related to a high proportion of tea drinkers, or in a modal form, that people should "evolve" to such a state.

Maybe this is really a higher form of experienced reality that people should aspire to, to "get" cha qi. Maybe I should be doing qi gong.

Then again others I know discuss obtaining the ability to see colored auras, or perceive other aspects of reality that aren't discussed in tea drinking circles.

There probably is a wide world of what else is valid and possible out there. But I'm not sure if tea drinking energy-form appreciation ranks high on the scale of what someone should get around to. Or maybe it all connects? If I ever get around to experiencing more related to that I'll be sure to pass on how it goes.

To be even clearer, I eat before I drink tea in part so that I don't experience more of such a thing. I drank alcohol and did drugs when I was younger, and now I have no interest in anything along that line, shifting form of inner experience for the sake of experiencing such shifts.
StoneLadle

Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:20 am

John_B wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:14 am
I'm familiar with the generality that experienced pu'er drinkers "drink with their body." But I'm not convinced that this generality works related to a high proportion of tea drinkers, or in a modal form, that people should "evolve" to such a state.

Maybe this is really a higher form of experienced reality that people should aspire to, to "get" cha qi. Maybe I should be doing qi gong.

Then again others I know discuss obtaining the ability to see colored auras, or perceive other aspects of reality that aren't discussed in tea drinking circles.

There probably is a wide world of what else is valid and possible out there. But I'm not sure if tea drinking energy-form appreciation ranks high on the scale of what someone should get around to. Or maybe it all connects? If I ever get around to experiencing more related to that I'll be sure to pass on how it goes.

To be even clearer, I eat before I drink tea in part so that I don't experience more of such a thing. I drank alcohol and did drugs when I was younger, and now I have no interest in anything along that line, shifting form of inner experience for the sake of experiencing such shifts.
Drinking with the body is pretty simple, as in just seeing and feeling how you feel after drinking a tea. Good tea, irrespective of type, and especially aged raw Pu Erh, and most importantly in this here thread, aged Oolong, should make one feel something, but Qi is a rare creature indeed...

Beating hearts and fluttering breath are more likely caffeine overdoses more than anything, as are sweats from simply drinking hot liquids...

Having visions, wow, seriously tea drunk and sugar depleted, perhaps, but mystical tea visions? I know plenty of monks and priests who drink copious amounts of tea and meditate and so on and no, don't think so... One doesn't see a billion tea drinking Chinese people having visions all day ..

I drink whiskies and rums cos they are tasty and tipsy and I drink tea cos it's tasty and tipsy in a different way, and I smoke cigarettes and cigars cos their tasty and nice...

It's just tea at the end of the day but it's fun to see people Keeling over including one ownself after imbibing large amounts of ancient Oolong... Oh @OCTO you evil one...
OCTO

Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:22 am

StoneLadle wrote:
It's just tea at the end of the day but it's fun to see people Keeling over including one ownself after imbibing large amounts of ancient Oolong... Oh OCTO you evil one...
My fault????... hahahahaha...... Still remember your facial expression..... LOL!!!
Baisao

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:39 am

StoneLadle wrote:
Having visions, wow, seriously tea drunk and sugar depleted, perhaps, but mystical tea visions? I know plenty of monks and priests who drink copious amounts of tea and meditate and so on and no, don't think so... One doesn't see a billion tea drinking Chinese people having visions all day ..
I said it “messed with my vision”, not that I had visions, mystical or otherwise. Geez.
StoneLadle

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:26 am

Baisao wrote:
StoneLadle wrote:
I said it “messed with my vision”, not that I had visions, mystical or otherwise. Geez.
Not you, I was replying to @John_B

😎
Baisao

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:53 am

StoneLadle wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:26 am
Baisao wrote:
StoneLadle wrote:
Not you, I was replying to John_B

😎
Oh, ok. Yeah, nothing at all mystical about it at all IMO. I don't see auras or people and believe it is confirmation bias when others say they do.

Thanks for clarifying.
John_B

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:05 am

The idea wasn't so much that tea affects some people like a peyote button, it was that all sorts of relatively mystical effects are described as tying to all sorts of scope. For cha qi that's usually more related to just feeling an unusual energy.

I don't reject that cha qi affects people in different ways, or that some people might be able to see auras, or gain information through remote viewing. It's all just not something I would pursue. I've tried sheng that makes me feel hyper, stoney, or sleepy; the ordinary scope of that range is familiar. Eating food before you drink it helps counter that.

Maybe in another decade tea will have a drug-like effect on me, and my perspective will change. And maybe I'll start seeing auras too; who knows. Or I might give up drinking tea by then; stranger things have happened.
StoneLadle

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:26 am

@John_B aura and remote viewing cos of tea??? Super high BS alert there...
John_B

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:58 am

I thought I had just clarified, I was grouping "fuzzy" themes together that don't have their own connection.

Believing in ghosts and feeling strange effects from tea are completely different things, but both fall together as themes that I'm not interested in pursuing. There was a little more to it but that's basically it.
StoneLadle

Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:25 am

There's no fuzziness in tea, just fuzzy people saying fuzzy shit about tea...
Bok
Vendor

Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:55 am

StoneLadle wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:25 am
There's no fuzziness in tea, just fuzzy people saying fuzzy shit about tea...
Unless the cat fell into the kettle...
StoneLadle

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:20 am

Poor kitty...

Incidentally, dropped into a tea shop to say hi today and was treated to a 1996 aged Oolong...

...the tea has been kept in an open foil bag, tightly packed into a wooden box on the top shelf near the ceiling of the shop, and apparently, two years ago, it was still sourish but right now it's almost magical (used as a metaphor, not literally like some people might like to imagine) and reminded me straight away of @OCTO's 60 year old Taiwan Oolong...

This tea is a WuYi tea as evidenced from the softened mineral notes, integrated with the old smokiness to produce a stewed fruit compote minus the sugar. It felt nice and calm, zero caffeine, plenty of theanine. We stopped after 8 rounds, took a break, ate a piece of mooncake , and finished off with a 5 year old Rou Gui...

Lovely day... And I did ask around the table about auras and visions and someone almost fell off their chair...