Fishy smell in Yixing clay storage pots

Webley

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:20 pm

I have 2 Yixing clay storage containers that have had shou pu-erh in them for the last 1.5 years. Both of them are loose leaves contained. Recently I’ve noticed that upon opening the jars there is a noticeable “fishy” smell. I brewed gong fu style from both jars. They both tasted the same, fishy!!
I’ve read that pu-erhs, especially shous, can pick up some untoward smells from faulty fermentation techniques. I’ve discarded the tea, probably prematurely, and would like to rid the jars of the smell. What’s the best path to take?
Victoria
Admin

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:36 pm

I recommend you start by very lightly simmering the pot with a little baking soda and follow the steps outline in Cleaning: Awakening & Resetting Unglazed Ceramics / Yixing
aet
Vendor

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:42 pm

fish comes from microbes being in presence with higher humidity ( usually very wet stored shu ) , so since the leafs were wet and teapot not open in some very dry environment , the sort of "additional fermentation" occurred.
Before using any sodas or other tricks how to get rid of it, I'd recommend to do the simple restart first. Just boil it in clean water first.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:03 pm

Also the soda treatment does not necessarily get rid of odours. You might need to leave some tea leaf in it or charcoal, or probably best let it sit in the sun for some time (if available). Other methods include boiling it with rice.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:19 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:03 pm
Also the soda treatment does not necessarily get rid of odours. You might need to leave some tea leaf in it or charcoal, or probably best let it sit in the sun for some time (if available). Other methods include boiling it with rice.
Actually sodium carbonate (soda ash/baking soda) is effective at quickly removing odors, this is why I recommended it. I should have also recommended adding some vinegar to both neutralize the pH, and remove other odors. Sure you can just simmer in water, this might work, but most often the source of odor is unknown so using both a slightly alkaline base like baking soda, and vinegar (acidic) to the mix will be more effective and less time consuming. Most odors are acidic and baking soda will neutralize them, but other odors have a higher pH so an acidic environment like vinegar will neutralize that situation, removing the cause of the odor.

I recently did an experiment testing three different canisters (metal, Yixing, partially glazed clay) with roasted oolong and was disappointed that the partially glazed clay one gave off a strange odor. Because this canister had been used by the previous owner for pu’erh storage I made sure after getting it to give it a simmering bath in just water and let it dry completely for several weeks. Well, months later, I finally used it in the canister experiment and it still gave off a weird odor that only appeared after a few weeks of storage. Only after a baking soda bath, followed by a vinegar bath, was the odor fully removed. I could have saved time and tea had I done this from the start.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:24 pm

@Victoria Maybe the vinegar makes the difference! I found that only sodium percarb, does not get rid off the storage smells. Usually I just resolve this by brewing strong teas a couple of times, then it's gone.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:29 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:24 pm
Victoria Maybe the vinegar makes the difference! I found that only sodium percarb, does not get rid off the storage smells. Usually I just resolve this by brewing strong teas a couple of times, then it's gone.
I’m not a chemist but sodium percarbonate is not sodium carbonate (soda ash/baking soda). I only recommend using sodium percarbonate to remove discoloration and mold, not odors. Hadn’t thought of trying to use it that way. Maybe it will work sometimes. I see googling that sodium percarbonate is used to remove odors in rugs. Has a high pH so is alkaline. Hmm
Nis

Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:59 pm

Careful with the vinegar, as that could leave a smell/taste of its own.

If you're going to use vinegar, don't mix it with baking soda. Since one is acidic and the other alkaline, they'll just neutralize each other. Do the vinegar treatment first, then the baking soda.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:39 pm

Nis wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:59 pm
Careful with the vinegar, as that could leave a smell/taste of its own.

If you're going to use vinegar, don't mix it with baking soda. Since one is acidic and the other alkaline, they'll just neutralize each other. Do the vinegar treatment first, then the baking soda.
Hi @Nis. white vinegar does not leave any smell even in porous unglazed teaware, just rinse with hot water afterwards and allow to full dry before using. Also, baking soda leaves a residue so I always use it first, and follow with vinegar to remove all traces of baking soda. Once I forgot to use vinegar, after cleaning with baking soda, and it ruined my tea session 🍃
OCTO

Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:19 am

Webley wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:20 pm
I have 2 Yixing clay storage containers that have had shou pu-erh in them for the last 1.5 years. Both of them are loose leaves contained. Recently I’ve noticed that upon opening the jars there is a noticeable “fishy” smell. I brewed gong fu style from both jars. They both tasted the same, fishy!!
I’ve read that pu-erhs, especially shous, can pick up some untoward smells from faulty fermentation techniques. I’ve discarded the tea, probably prematurely, and would like to rid the jars of the smell. What’s the best path to take?
@Webley

Are both the same tea?? I guess the loose leave PuErh that's smelling fishy are shou puerh. Did you experience any fishiness when you first bought the tea?

One needs to keep in mind that Yixing clay absorbs aroma, even more when they are brand new. You won't expect good teapot grade clay to be used to make the jar, hence there will be a hint of clay smell. I can only speculate that the tea's fermentation process was poorly done, leaving behind a very strong "wo dui" smell, which is extremely "fishy"... The fishiness must have been absorbed into the clay.

I have no experience in using vinegar or the other methods shared by fellow seniors here. I usually would pour water into the jar and let it soak for a few days to a week. Replacing the water everyday. Then dry it under the hot sun. It's summer all year round here. That usually does the job. After the jar is completely dry, I would just throw in whatever tea dust that I have collected over time and let it sit for a few good years.... hahaha... yes.... YEARS! Throwing in more teadust along the way. This will allow the jar to absorb all the good tea aromas. The foul smell usually goes away after a few years.

FullSizeRender 6.jpg
FullSizeRender 6.jpg (336.5 KiB) Viewed 6072 times
These are water jars commonly found in Asia. They are not Yixing clay but are made from pottery clay. It didn't come with any foul smell. Just some old storage smell which went away after a few months.

IMG_7584.jpg
IMG_7584.jpg (256.45 KiB) Viewed 6072 times
I would add a layer of Chinese calligraphy paper inside to form the inner wall of the jar. This will help control moisture levels here at this part of Asia. It's always warm and humid. These jars have a way of keeping the contents cool. Even on a hot summer day.

I would usually recommend porcelain jars compared to Yixing jars. A lot lesser hassle and very low maintenance needed.

Hope my 2cents are helpful to you.

Cheers!
Bok
Vendor

Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:29 am

Very nice jars! Need a lot of tea to make them full :mrgreen:
OCTO

Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:34 am

Bok wrote:
@Bok

None of them are entire full... haha....
mrmopu

Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:15 am

OCTO wrote:
Bok wrote:
Bok

Send them to me I can fill them and a few more. :D
OCTO

Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:17 am

mrmopu wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:15 am
OCTO wrote:
Bok wrote:
Bok

Send them to me I can fill them and a few more. :D
@mrmopu

It might not survive the journey... hahahaha....
mrmopu

Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:16 am

@OCTO, Hey it was worth a chance to ask. :P