*Basic* Puerh Tea Storage Question

Noonie

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:14 am

I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot about storing/aging Puerh, but I really wanted to get to the point and ask, hopefully, a straightforward question.

I have 7 cakes I've purchased in the last 5 months. I think they're all in the 250g range. All Raw, one is 2005, three are 2012-2013, and the rest are last few years (1-2 are 2019). Due to some health issues I never actually opened any of them...and when I was drinking puerh it was the samples I've been consuming.

So...they've been sitting in the bags they came in, in a bin that isn't completely air tight, that only holds this tea, and I open this once a week or so. I'm not planning to store this tea long term. I'm planning to start drinking it soon :mrgreen: , so my question is "is the tea okay as I've been storing it, with the intent that I consume it within the next year or so"? No idea how long it will take to work through it, as I drink other types of tea, but probably like 7g once a day. I'll probably have open 1-2 cakes at a time.

Thanks!
DailyTX

Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:14 am

Noonie wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:14 am
I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot about storing/aging Puerh, but I really wanted to get to the point and ask, hopefully, a straightforward question.

I have 7 cakes I've purchased in the last 5 months. I think they're all in the 250g range. All Raw, one is 2005, three are 2012-2013, and the rest are last few years (1-2 are 2019). Due to some health issues I never actually opened any of them...and when I was drinking puerh it was the samples I've been consuming.

So...they've been sitting in the bags they came in, in a bin that isn't completely air tight, that only holds this tea, and I open this once a week or so. I'm not planning to store this tea long term. I'm planning to start drinking it soon :mrgreen: , so my question is "is the tea okay as I've been storing it, with the intent that I consume it within the next year or so"? No idea how long it will take to work through it, as I drink other types of tea, but probably like 7g once a day. I'll probably have open 1-2 cakes at a time.

Thanks!
@Noonie
I am no expert in aging pu erh, I think as long as the following conditions are met, Pu erh will age. 1. The bin you store your pu erh has no smell such as plastic or wood
2. The location you place your bin is in a room with good air quality
3. The humidity in the room or bin is good
4. Temperature doesn’t have extreme swings

I have been storing my pu erh in printer paper boxes in a room where I grow orchid. Humidity is on the low side 50-60 most days. I have been opening the windows once a month to air out the room. My pu erh has been sitting there for almost 2 years, and the room can smell pleasant pu erh scent during summer time.
Noonie

Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:51 am

Oh, I should have clarified...I’m not looking to age the tea via humidity (pumidor), just to avoid it drying out or otherwise worsening its flavour.
.m.

Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:03 pm

Ziplock bag will protect the tea from drying for a while, but eventually it will slowly start drying. A big mylar bag would likely be a bit better.
Placing all your bagged cakes in a bag or a closed container with a Boveda pack and keeping in a room temperature will do the trick, and is probably one of the simplest storage solutions.
Noonie

Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:50 am

.m. wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:03 pm
Ziplock bag will protect the tea from drying for a while, but eventually it will slowly start drying. A big mylar bag would likely be a bit better.
Placing all your bagged cakes in a bag or a closed container with a Boveda pack and keeping in a room temperature will do the trick, and is probably one of the simplest storage solutions.
Thanks
Noonie

Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:36 am

One more question..,

If I store the cakes in a container with boveda packs, do I leave the cakes in ziplock bags, or only the paper wrapper they cane in? Wasn’t sure about odours, etc.?
.m.

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:40 am

Noonie wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:36 am
One more question..,

If I store the cakes in a container with boveda packs, do I leave the cakes in ziplock bags, or only the paper wrapper they cane in? Wasn’t sure about odours, etc.?
I think you can go both ways. Closed ziplock bag will obviously restrict the exchange of aromas and humidity. The boveda pack should be safe enough to place directly with the cake.
Noonie

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:13 pm

After reading through the 5-6pg thread on puerh storage I tried a couple of different vessels for holding my less than 10 cakes. First I tried a 2gl glass jar, but the opening was too narrow so I returned it. Ended up getting a stainless steel stock pot. Lid isn't air tight, but hoping that's a good thing. And I picked up a hygrometer and some small 72% boveda packs. I tossed the ziplocks the tea came in and will let the cakes enjoy the humidity. Where I was keeping the tea initially (basement) it was 17c and 29% humidity. So I moved the tea to a closet upstairs, put in three of the small packs and will check humidity next few days. First foray into this so we'll see how she goes :)
Last edited by Noonie on Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aet
Vendor

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:53 pm

I wouldn't suggest keeping puerh cakes in zip lock bags or any other "special" storage bags which are popular now on internet. In 2 y time all cakes will have a similar taste. I don't know exactly the chemistry behind that , but had I had a few experimental cakes stored like that and wasn't happy with the output. The best way is the put them where they have a bit room. In times when you don't use the heater and the air not too dry ,you can then even open the box / jar where they are stored. Lid can be fixed. Just but the cloth between the jar and lid, or even can make a rubber insulation or something. Yet, steel is not really good storage material due to the odor. Ceramic , glass or some clay is good also. I store my private loose leaf in Jianshu zitao , Yixing jars and bits of shu in Nixing clay jar.
Webley

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:21 am

I store one ripe cake in a ceramic vase in individual vented bags that are popular for coffee storage. The cake has been divided into several portion bags. It has been stored for at least 2 years like this. Seems to be ok. Tastes good.
Teas We Like
Vendor

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:20 am

I second the suggestion of using mylar bags. Cheap and effective. If you use boveda, I'd stay with ones around 65-70% RH.
Balthazar

Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:38 am

Does anyone have suggestions for mylar bag sizes? I could use some for mid-term (<1 year) storage of shu puer.

For ziplock bags, I haven't been able to find anything above 10" x 16". I was thinking of ordering a couple of 14" x 20" bags from that site, buy unfortunately they don't have a ziplock.
mrmopu

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:50 am

Balthazar
I use USA emergency supply. They have a good range with and without ziplocs. Not sure if they ship internationally though.
https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emer ... od-storage

I on another hand have some dehydrated water I am looking to sell. Just add water to the pouch and you are ready to go. :mrgreen:
Balthazar

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:00 am

mrmopu wrote:
Balthazar
I use USA emergency supply. They have a good range with and without ziplocs. Not sure if they ship internationally though.
Thanks for the tip. They have what looks like more suitable sizes with ziplock, but unfortunately they "currently ship only to Continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and APO/FPO addresses". :|

I'm sure there are European shops out there with better ziplock size selections than what I've found so far, I'll continue my search.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:01 pm

Balthazar wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:00 am
mrmopu wrote:
Balthazar
Thanks for the tip. They have what looks like more suitable sizes with ziplock, but unfortunately they "currently ship only to Continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and APO/FPO addresses". :|

I'm sure there are European shops out there with better ziplock size selections than what I've found so far, I'll continue my search.
@pedant posted Bingcha Storage and about mylar bags from Sorbent Systems under Sample Bags, maybe they ship internationally.