storing to resteep next evening?

nealc
New user

Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi

I like to have some white tea in the evening. However I generally have a few resteepings left and would like to resteep it the following evening. I use a tea sock and just leave it on my counter but I wonder if there is a better way to store the tea from one evening to the next.

Thanks!
-Neal
pedant
Admin

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:55 pm

hey neal, welcome to the forum!

if you're just concerned with how it tastes, i'd say try covering it somehow and see if you notice any difference.

related info: How long do already-steeped leaves remain usable for more brews?
Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:15 am

Welcome Neal.

If I feel a tea has more to give than my time or mood allows, I simply let it sit in whatever vessel I was brewing in. That depends on your particular climate though. In summer, in hot and humid Asia, I refrain from doing so. Dryer climate should be fine. I would not cover the vessel though, to minimise the chances of mould. No need to worry about flavours dissipating, after a couple of brewings, chances of accelerated degradation are slim at best.

Curious, in my exposure to White teas, those were among the weakest in terms of endurance compared to other teas, not many rounds of the same tea to be had. How many rounds do you usually brew before, to have a few further left? The whites I had were good for six infusions at best, real good were only the first three... (Taiwanese wild whites, Nepali whites and some Chinese whites I forgot the names of).
Slurp

Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:32 am

What I have heard is that it's best to keep the tea in such a way as to allow them to fully dry. The reason is that while many pathogens can thrive in damp, few can survive dry for any length of time. I'm not a doctor, so I can't vouch for the veracity of this, but it seems reasonable/plausible. Try to keep the tea in such a way as to allow this drying to happen as quickly as possible. I've found that means not leaving it in the strainer, as it always seems to stay damp that way. With that said, the "daily drinker" level teas I tend to consume never seem worth it to keep for 2nd day.