Vacuum sealers?

tealifehk
Vendor

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:44 pm

Absolutely. I did find a pack of Shanlinxi I bought back when I met you and ethan in Taipei in a drawer yesterday--clipped, no canister. lol. Gonna give it a try later. ;)
debunix

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:36 pm

My vacuum sealer is a FoodSaver brand sealer, and it has a neat feature that I use much more than the bag sealing: a connecting tube and special lid allow me to vacuum seal my canning jars of grains and beans and dried herbs, and offers a solution for vacuum sealing delicate twisted leaves in small canning jars.

For tea, I've used it to vacuum seal some green teas and green oolongs into smaller portions when I knew I wouldn't use up the whole package before it started to go off.
Baisao

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:57 am

I also use a vacuum sealer but primarily for gaoshancha and sencha/gyokuro that I want to refrigerate for a few months (providing an extra barrier from strong aromas). The FoodSaver brand sealer I use has worked flawlessly for at least a decade.

For opened packages of greens, I use zippered mylar bags that I fill with inert gas. Private Preserve is a brand of inert gas that is used to extend the life of opened wines. I flood the mylar bags with this gas to displace oxygen and prevent uncontrolled oxidation. The advantage of this over vacuum sealing is that some teas are easily crushed under vacuum (Bi Luo Chun, Japanese oolongs, Tai Ping Hou Kui, etc.).

All medium oxidized teas are allowed to age in opaque jars until used up.
leefetea
New user

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:16 am

I find that vacuum sealing is effective in stopping the oxidation of green teas. The leaves can remain fresh for an extended period of time compared to just plain seals. Of course, the packaging material has to be a good barrier to air and moisture. Plastics aren't the best barrier. Go for an aluminium packaging if you have them.