Tea delivery in winter

supernova

Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:25 pm

What do you think about delivering tea in winter?, when tea might be travelling for weeks with the temperatures outside below freezing. Will it damage the tea? What I think is that tea leaves have water inside, it gets crystalized -> water would cut trough the cells like a knife. About the results I am not sure...
This is just what happens to human cells.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:02 pm

supernova wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:25 pm
What do you think about delivering tea in winter?, when tea might be travelling for weeks with the temperatures outside below freezing. Will it damage the tea? What I think is that tea leaves have water inside, it gets crystalized -> water would cut trough the cells like a knife. About the results I am not sure...
This is just what happens to human cells.
I regularily store some teas in the fridge, some also in the freezer. So far I did only notice that they stay fresher longer. But – temperature fluctuations hot-ice-hot-ice might not be so beneficial...
pedant
Admin

Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:22 pm

i think tea is dried to the point of not having enough moisture to cause cell rupture.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:25 pm

Agree, cold temperatures during transport shouldn’t be an issue, although make sure that once tea has arrived to let it rest a few days before opening a pack. This way internal temperature of leaves can stabilize to ambient room temperature, thereby avoiding condensation.
polezaivsani

Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:21 pm

I don't have tonnes of experience and I don't feel like getting any, at least not when buying, say, a tong of young sheng puer. I used to ask folks to sit on the package (not literally) until Spring time. Subjecting still young cakes to unknown conditions for weeks on end doesn't sound fun. Couple cakes when I'm craving for some treats or anything that'll likely be packed in foil bags go without batting an eye though.