FS: Hokujo rear-handle kyusu, 85ml

MmBuddha

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:58 pm

For sale: a small (but perfectly formed) Hokujo kyusu, 85ml, with his rarer rear-handle design.

Pots of this size are unusual for Hokujo, I believe he's only started making them recently. It would be excellent for many teas, but I find the size and shape lends particularly well to Taiwanese oolongs, at least that's what I had in mind. I imagine his clay needs little introduction, I know there are many fans here and elsewhere.

Some of Hokujo’s direct wall-filters can result in a slow pour, but this one has a well made ball-filter which works excellently (see below).

The pot has been used twice, both with a traditional Dong Ding, and was rinsed, then briefly soaked after each use. I feel confident saying the pot is in as-new condition.

I’m selling with a heavy heart, but I want to raise funds for a new kyusu for sencha.

$200 worldwide shipping included. Please leave a message below or PM me and we can talk further.

Thank you.
Last edited by MmBuddha on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MmBuddha

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:03 pm

MmBuddha

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:03 pm

Bok
Vendor

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:40 pm

That one must be from the last two batches, he did not make them this small before. I got one from those batches as well and they are brilliant! As you say good for any Taiwan Oolong, green, roasted or black. But one has to decide for one as they season fast!

Good offer on a very good pot!
Billyfabs

Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:42 pm

I am definitely interested in this pot. How can I contact you?
Billyfabs

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi! I am interested in the pot and will take it if it is still available. Thank you!
MmBuddha

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:01 am

Billyfabs wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:12 pm
Hi! I am interested in the pot and will take it if it is still available. Thank you!
Hi Billyfabs,

Thanks for your interest, I’ve sent you a PM.
MmBuddha

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:27 am

Bok wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:40 pm
That one must be from the last two batches, he did not make them this small before. I got one from those batches as well and they are brilliant! As you say good for any Taiwan Oolong, green, roasted or black. But one has to decide for one as they season fast!

Good offer on a very good pot!
Thanks Bok for your comment too. Yes I think you must be right, I’d guess this was from his latest batch.

This pot is the second Hokujo kyusu I’ve used in person, and I must say it’s remarkable to me that he can make a pot of this size, at his age, and produce it with such delicacy and skill.

I do also think this clay is quite special. I’ve heard from several people it’s reduction fired at high temperature, and you can see from the slim strips he sands around the lid and pot openings that the clay is a darker colour underneath, but then totally unlike other reduction fired clays I’ve seen.

I never did try this with gaoshan/greener oolongs, but considering how my other pot of his performs with sencha I can see this being a great pairing.

I know I’ll regret selling it further down the road, but it’s about having the right pots at the right time isn’t it.

When the chajin is ready, the teapot appears, or something..

Thanks again.
Billyfabs

Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:52 am

I did receive your PM but as a new user I cannot reply to it. Can you PM me your email and we can talk there? I recently purchased a shudei pot from gisui and am very curious how differently the clays will change a tea. I tried the shudei with a gaoshan and it was very muting.
MmBuddha

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:14 pm

Teapot is sold. Thank you.