Pair of celadon cups

DailyTX

Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:52 pm

I have been doing some teaware sorting lately. Anyone interested in adopting this pair of celadon cups? Looking for $100 usd included shipping in US. Here is the origin source, labels are still intact.
https://moodyguy.biz/roc-porcelain-teacup-16.html
https://moodyguy.biz/roc-porcelain-teacup-17.html
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_4470.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4470.jpg (208.29 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
thumbnail_IMG_4471.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4471.jpg (123.94 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
Jules_Ludwig

Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:01 am

The price seems quite high....
I just bought these via EoT for 30 $ a piece.
DailyTX

Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:21 am

The EOT cups that sold out were 45 ml vs these are 62 ml. I don’t know why the original price was so high at $87 per cup, my guess is the size. 60-100 ml cups seem to have a higher price. After I deducted shipping cost, it about $87 per pair. Those antique cups will probably get more expensive over time.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:17 am

Size matters. As does the sourcing. Eot seems to get them at much lower retail than in other places. HK is more expensive to source this kind of thing. Add a reasonable margin to that and you get different prices in different places…

It’s funny sometimes, I’ve been sourcing these in Taiwan and found out later that they can be a lot cheaper in Singapore(of all places!).
DailyTX

Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:57 pm

Bok wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:17 am
It’s funny sometimes, I’ve been sourcing these in Taiwan and found out later that they can be a lot cheaper in Singapore(of all places!).
That's interesting, I would imagine Singapore pricing is similar to HK. But then, those are old commoner's tea cups. With the amount of southern Chinese people migrated to South East Asia, that kind of make sense. In a couple more decades, people may hunt for rice grain porcelains from the 1950s :lol:
wave_code

Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:26 pm

nice cups!

I was digging around for these for myself for quite some time, and can confirm the size makes a big difference in price, the larger sizes up until you reach 'bowl' size are def harder to find, and also the place I have mainly been able to find them is from Hong Kong sources, at least with my limited resources and language skills. Location raises the price, but I think so can size- finding larger cups like this seem more susceptible to warping, so finding ones that aren't super wonky and without lots of imperfections gets harder. With what you pay for shipping anything from HK I'd say these are a good deal for anyone in the US for sure.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:08 pm

Raining on the parade a bit: From the photographs, I don't see anything special, not color(s) nor crazing. What am I missing?

I like, own, & use contemporary celadon made in Thailand. ? is serious. What is it that I don't see or know?
.m.

Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:28 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:08 pm
Raining on the parade a bit: From the photographs, I don't see anything special, not color(s) nor crazing. What am I missing?

I like, own, & use contemporary celadon made in Thailand. ? is serious. What is it that I don't see or know?
I find them really nice. The texture of the glaze, depth of color, simplicity, signs of age, imperfections, the whole thing is understated and unpretentious. We each have our esthetic preferences, which sometimes might be hard to explain or for other to relate to them. For me most of modern celadon doesn't do it. But maybe your thai cups would be precisely an exception. :)
wave_code

Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:54 pm

@Ethan Kurland these Qing 'green bean' cups are a something quite different from say contemporary celadon ware - they don't and arent supposed to crack and craze in the same way. The smaller versions of these kinds of cups a supposedly very good for oolong, and again the middle and larger sizes of these are often harder to find. I use blue and white cups from around the same time period as my daily cups- has a nice effect on the tea aside from also just feeling really good in the hand, and are quite different from other kinds of porcelain. The green bean glaze supposedly has a different and quite sought after effect on certain teas than blue line ware from the same period.
Jules_Ludwig

Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:15 pm

I love using them for young "substantial" sheng Pu-Erh. They enhance the body thickness very nicely.
DailyTX

Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:26 am

The pair of celadon cups are sold. Admin, please close this thread. Thank you.