WTB: Yamada So Blue Kyusu

Darbotek

Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:13 pm

Here’s mine, 147ml to the tiptop. I haven’t settled on a price yet (certainly not 995 euro!). Let me know if it looks like something you want and I’ll figure a price(that I will post publicly).
EBBC7666-62CF-45F5-9C87-D15F9E36ED72.jpeg
EBBC7666-62CF-45F5-9C87-D15F9E36ED72.jpeg (291.65 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
98457559-8C03-4D64-B205-4052DABDFDCB.jpeg
98457559-8C03-4D64-B205-4052DABDFDCB.jpeg (301.57 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
AozoraE

Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:47 pm

Baisao wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:01 pm
I have several of Taisuke’s unglazed pots and find that they increase the sensation of body and produce a smooth liquor without muting.

There’s been a post here regarding the Sou’s aoyu pots contributing a bad flavor to tea. They are pretty but I’ve avoided them because of this risk. His mayake pots are similar to Taisuke’s in how they effect tea.

Take it all with a grain of salt. I’ve learned that there’s tremendous variance between what any two people can perceive in any given tea.
Do you have the link to that post or more info on the pots on tea? I find it interesting that their are people(maybe myself at one point :lol: ) who will claim that a lot of wood fired pots are basically neutral...
LeoFox

Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:27 pm

AozoraE wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:47 pm
Baisao wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:01 pm
I have several of Taisuke’s unglazed pots and find that they increase the sensation of body and produce a smooth liquor without muting.

There’s been a post here regarding the Sou’s aoyu pots contributing a bad flavor to tea. They are pretty but I’ve avoided them because of this risk. His mayake pots are similar to Taisuke’s in how they effect tea.

Take it all with a grain of salt. I’ve learned that there’s tremendous variance between what any two people can perceive in any given tea.
Do you have the link to that post or more info on the pots on tea? I find it interesting that their are people(maybe myself at one point :lol: ) who will claim that a lot of wood fired pots are basically neutral...
Odd metallic taste reported here
viewtopic.php?p=11857#p11857

On the other hand, chip, a veteran and highly thorough taster rates it above the normal wood fired by sou here in terms of taste :
viewtopic.php?p=9785#p9785

To see his rating of the normal wood fired:
viewtopic.php?p=9831#p9831
Last edited by LeoFox on Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blkgreymon

Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:28 pm

Darbotek wrote:
Here’s mine, 147ml to the tiptop. I haven’t settled on a price yet (certainly not 995 euro!). Let me know if it looks like something you want and I’ll figure a price(that I will post publicly).

ImageImage
Give me a price please! Worst I could do is say no. I am looking for a slightly more blue teapot.

I am talking to several vendors atm. I missed a drop from buyjp4u last night, I'm still hitting myself cause I should have pulled the trigger but I went to sleep thinking it would still be there when I woke up. Three pots sold out in a couple hours.
Darbotek

Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:23 pm

Well, while trying to price it, I have come to realize that Tee Kontor Kiels price isn’t to far out of the current norm! Prices have shot up since I was watching Japanese teaware. I would do $550 shipped in the US.

blkgreymon wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:28 pm
Give me a price please! Worst I could do is say no. I am looking for a slightly more blue teapot.

I am talking to several vendors atm. I missed a drop from buyjp4u last night, I'm still hitting myself cause I should have pulled the trigger but I went to sleep thinking it would still be there when I woke up. Three pots sold out in a couple hours.
blkgreymon

Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:47 pm

Darbotek wrote:
Well, while trying to price it, I have come to realize that Tee Kontor Kiels price isn’t to far out of the current norm! Prices have shot up since I was watching Japanese teaware. I would do $550 shipped in the US.
That is a fair price, I must decline for now as I'm looking for a pot with more blue but if I'm desperate I might just snag it off you if you're stilling willing in the future.

Is a back handle kyusu harder to make than a side handle kyusu? Yamada's blue back handle pots seems to more of value than his blue side handle kyusus, around 70,000 versus 40,000 to 50,000 yen. The quest is still on but sometimes its the chase that is most thrilling!
Darbotek

Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:11 pm

No sweat! There is a more solid blue one on Yahoo auctions. Has 4 days left and quite a few watchers, but you could try!

Where abouts in Texas are you?
Last edited by pedant on Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit: trimmed some quotes down for easier reading
blkgreymon

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:00 pm

Austin area!
Baisao

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:44 pm

blkgreymon wrote:
Austin area!
It feels like this applies to all the everyone in the US. From the looks of this city it is hard to imagine that there are people outside of Austin because they must all live here!

There’s too much to lament but if I must…

I miss our creeks that were clean and now are literally toxic enough to kill pets and children. I miss the view of the hills along Loop 360 without Christmas litter. I miss being able to see the skyline without haze from traffic. I miss the affordability of this place, long gone. I miss the creative nexus we had of being a university town with professors, students, artists, Air Force families, and space cowboys. I miss how friendly this place was. If you lived here in the good old days then you know we had something amazing and that Austin is now a distorted caricature. The barbecue isn’t even the same.

If there’s a bright spot it is that we do have a badass tea house.
pedant
Admin

Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:57 pm

Darbotek wrote:
Here’s mine, 147ml to the tiptop.
Darbotek wrote:
I would do $550 shipped in the US.
nice piece and fair price imo. some cool wood firing effects and seashell stuff. those ones go for more.
Darbotek

Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:17 am

blkgreymon wrote:
Austin area!
Dang, one of these days I’ll cross paths with another tea head here in the Piney Woods.

Baisao wrote:
It feels like this applies to all the everyone in the US. From the looks of this city it is hard to imagine that there are people outside of Austin because they must all live here!

I miss our creeks that were clean and now are literally toxic enough to kill pets and children. I miss the view of the hills along Loop 360 without Christmas litter. I miss being able to see the skyline without haze from traffic. I miss the affordability of this place, long gone. I miss the creative nexus we had of being a university town with professors, students, artists, Air Force families, and space cowboys. I miss how friendly this place was. If you lived here in the good old days then you know we had something amazing and that Austin is now a distorted caricature. The barbecue isn’t even the same.

Last time I was down yonder was for a Sleep concert 5 years ago and it’s been 5 years since I’ve been back for good reason.

I know the hottest past time in Austin is talking about the good old days and how you missed out on the REAL Austin (My dad lived down there in the 70s/80s, got to hear it every time we went down there “Yes dad, I’m sure Les Amis was much better than the Starbucks that replaced it”). But the town really has changed. I can’t imagine how much more it has changed in the last 5 years. I don’t know if I will ever find out. While my spiritual and political proclivities are not in sync with a lot of my East Texas neighbors, I feel way more comfortable up here.

Austin had a small town vibe with big city amenities. 5 years ago it just felt like a big city with a small town road network. I hope it fights off the sprawl of Dallas and Houston. One of the things I liked about Austin is you felt like you were in these little self contained biomes. You could live a whole life in one slice of Austin. Unlike DFW and H-Town, you can never forget you are in one city and for some reason you just HAVE to cross the whole damn thing lol.

In 100 years people will be having the same conversation about Marfa lol.

pedant wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:57 pm
nice piece and fair price imo. some cool wood firing effects and seashell stuff. those ones go for more.
Thank you! I feel its fair, considering what they currently go for. I didn’t want one of the nice blue ones. The vision I had for the blue pot I wanted was “melting snow in a gutter”. I wanted all that wabi sabi.
AozoraE

Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:21 am

LeoFox wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:27 pm
Thanks for linking those. I wonder if that "sharp" flavor the poster is talking about only comes out when tea comes into direct contact with the the glaze. Chip's pots are all unglazed on the inside so maybe that's he's not getting any unpleasant flavors from it.
In any case, it still should be something people should maybe look out for before dropping $$$ on any of the aou pots :x
blkgreymon

Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:13 am

Baisao wrote:
blkgreymon wrote:
Austin area!

I came here 5 years ago for family. My mom lived on 620 and holy cow is the traffic bad now. With this many people migrating here Austin was bound to change unfortunately. We moved to Leander to afford a house right before covid hit and it's no Austin but what least we can sort of afford the house. Franklin's is damn good bbq but I gotta try Snows and see what the hype is all about.

Anyway, I'm probably gonna lose the auction. If I do, I'll take your offer @Darbotek if it still stands when that time comes.
Darbotek

Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:35 am

blkgreymon wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:13 am
Anyway, I'm probably gonna lose the auction. If I do, I'll take your offer @Darbotek if it still stands when that time comes.

I’ll hold off listing it anywhere else until you have tried to win! The offer will still stand.

If you have never bid on Yahoo, it can be a little frustrating, it’s the auction style that adds time when ever someone bids in the last few minutes. I’ve seen stuff end an hour and a half later than it was supposed to. But if you are an even keeled bidder, the same rule applies, bid your max and forget about it.
blkgreymon

Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:15 am

I won the auction for the teapot. Special thanks to @Darbotek! I'll wait till it gets shipped to me till I have this thread archived.