FS: Jinshu Kyusu

faj

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:12 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:17 pm
I think what is happening is seaweed covered areas and interior of kyusu is not as directly exposed to oxygen rich higher heat in kiln. When the interior clay of mogake kyusu is the same color as exterior, I’m thinking the seaweed wrapped lid is fired separately, ie not ontop of kyusu inside the kiln.
Interesting, that would make sense.

Do you know what kind of clay of additive is used to obtain the white color?
Victoria
Admin

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:30 pm

faj wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:12 pm
Victoria wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:17 pm
I think what is happening is seaweed covered areas and interior of kyusu is not as directly exposed to oxygen rich higher heat in kiln. When the interior clay of mogake kyusu is the same color as exterior, I’m thinking the seaweed wrapped lid is fired separately, ie not ontop of kyusu inside the kiln.
Interesting, that would make sense.

Do you know what kind of clay of additive is used to obtain the white color?
No additives, it is kaolin clay, rich in kaolinite, often used to make porcelain. I have a few unglazed kaolin cups as well, silky smooth to the touch due to the structure of the clay. Here is a description of various clays https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/clay-basics-2746314
faj

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:46 pm

Victoria wrote:
No additives, it is kaolin clay, rich in kaolinite, often used to make porcelain. I have a few unglazed kaolin cups as well, silky smooth to the touch due to the structure of the clay. Here is a description of various clays https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/clay-basics-2746314
Thanks a lot, interesting link. White(ish) teapots is something I have wondered about for a while. Being fired at high temperature, would it follow that they tend to be more on the neutral side in terms of effect on tea?
Victoria
Admin

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:49 pm

faj wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:46 pm
Victoria wrote:
Thanks a lot, interesting link. White(ish) teapots is something I have wondered about for a while. Being fired at high temperature, would it follow that they tend to be more on the neutral side in terms of effect on tea?
I’ve only used mine with sencha and gyokuro but I’d say yes neutral and maybe smoothing as well, but I’ve mentioned before that effect might just be psychological since the surface is so silky smooth :) .
faj

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:04 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:49 pm
I’ve only used mine with sencha and gyokuro but I’d say yes neutral and maybe smoothing as well, but I’ve mentioned before that effect might just be psychological since the surface is so silky smooth :) .
Teaware can be like like a magician's trick. When you know you are being fooled yet still are mesmerized all the same, isn't that the true magic?

Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:29 pm

Sold. You can archive