Does anyone collect English teaware?

Korea, Europe, the Americas, and abroad
mbanu

Sat May 04, 2019 1:32 pm

I have a few older plain-color Pristine teapots that I like, and what seems to be a never-ending supply of English-made Churchill cups and saucers in the Blue Willow pattern that I think are from the 1970s. A very helpful site I've found for looking into English teaware: http://www.thepotteries.org/

I also have a tin biscuit barrel and a few other tea tins that I need to use more often that I think were made by the Metal Box Company for Daher of New York. I haven't found anything like The Potteries for tea and biscuit tins.

For new teaware, I'm a fan of the modern English-made Chatsford mug infusers -- they are nothing fancy, just brown plastic, but are well-designed for their purpose. I like the idea of a Teasmade, but have heard from everyone who has ever used one that they are tacky and more trouble than they are worth. :)

(Maybe it doesn't count as teaware since there is a kettle subsection, but I also have an old Simplex copper kettle that I really like the look of but haven't been using because it needs to be re-tinned.)

Any other English teaware fans out there?
oolongfan

Sat May 04, 2019 3:31 pm

@ mbanu - My has gotten into English teaware although she probably has as many reproductions as originals and wouldnever consider herself a serious collector. I tend tostick with Yixing teapots because they come in convient (for me) tiny sizes like 40 ml...i have kidney disease and cortisol issues so small format teaware is perfect for me. Having said that, I do love the English china patterns..they are beautiful.

Do you have pictures of your tewware? If so please feel free to post here...I would love to see them.

I have an old copper pot that needs to get re-tinned. There are not many tinsmiths in my neck of the woods ..hope you have better luck :)