Korean Teaware Showcase

Korea, Europe, the Americas, and abroad
debunix

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:06 pm

iGo wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:17 pm
Here's a chawan by Im Mann Jae that I picked up on a tea tour of Korea several years ago. Matcha Yugen n the bowl.
gorgeous
Mark-S wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:59 pm
While I was searching the Internet for information on another teapot, I found this gorgeous one. Can this actually be used for tea, or is it mainly for decoration purposes? What would this be worth?

I found a similar design (not a teapot) on this website for $270. The teapot however would be cheaper.

http://www.antiquealive.com/store/detai ... rk-Design-
Missed this post in January....if the inner pot is intact, yes, could be used for tea. I've got a Somayaki double-walled pot with carved cutouts on the exterior wal, and it works fine for tea.
hopeofdawn

Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:37 am

Wow lovely! Both the bowl and the photography. :)
Janice

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:14 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:45 pm
Most attractive, Janice. Do you hold the hobins with bare fingers?

(I often burn myself with gaiwans; so, I ask.) Really look lovely. Cheers
I just noticed this question today. I can’t hold these hohins with my bare hands unless I’m brewing with low temperature water. I’m adept with a gaiwan, especially when I use the saucer.
thomas.vankeulen

Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:08 pm

iGo wrote:
Here's a chawan by Im Mann Jae that I picked up on a tea tour of Korea several years ago. Matcha Yugen n the bowl.
This Chawan is beautiful! I have to ask, has anyone found any similar Chawans?
polezaivsani

Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:42 pm

I'm not sure if it belongs here, but then i got somewhat stupefied on my little excursion into storage wares and don't feel like being sure about anything anymore. Tea hoarders, rejoice - https://daurim.com/listing/940050452/ha ... ekja-white.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:59 pm

polezaivsani wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:42 pm
I'm not sure if it belongs here, but then i got somewhat stupefied on my little excursion into storage wares and don't feel like being sure about anything anymore. Tea hoarders, rejoice - https://daurim.com/listing/940050452/ha ... ekja-white.
We’re you planning on storing tea in that colossal jar :) 🍃
polezaivsani

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:14 pm

Victoria wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:59 pm
We’re you planning on storing tea in that colossal jar :) 🍃
Maybe it's better suited for airing teas out? Just need to be carefull not to use it for white teas, or it might get lost in there =).
bliss

Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:59 am

thomas.vankeulen wrote:
iGo wrote:
You may have found your answer already. The glaze looks like some sort of Tenmoku or Jian ware, here's some info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenmoku
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jian_ware
teatray

Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:59 am

That's such a beautiful bowl, @iGo. (Thanks for waking up the thread, @bliss.) If you're ever in the mood for another photo session, I'd love to see more of it. (BTW, we seem to have similar tastes in board games as well as pottery.)

It's a style of Jian ware (Tenmoku/Tianmu) called hare's fur or rabbit's fur. Here's a Song dynasty original (12th century). I've seen descriptions distinguishing black hare's fur, blue hare's, and silver hare's fur. Seems you can find modern imitations at various prices in Japan, China, Taiwan, and, as I'm learning now, Korea. Here's an exquisite chawan by a famous Kyo-ware potter, Yoshinori Izumi (there are other items from this series of his, such as my most treasured teaware possession in the form of a sake cup; see also @pedant's stunning images of his.) This is a perhaps somewhat kitschy but still engaging gilded example of a smaller (non-matcha) teacup from Taiwan, sold on pinkoi (no idea if it's actually worth that price). There are many others, incl. sub-$1 mass produced ware, as you can see in @LeoFox's Instagram post.

Do you (or anybody else) know of a good source to obtain an authentic, handmade Korean tea cup in this style? I'm making a small collection, with a Taiwanese and a Mainland China version on the way per post. I think it would be cool to be able to serve 4 cups in the same style from 4 different countries.
thomas.vankeulen

Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:50 pm

bliss wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:59 am
thomas.vankeulen wrote:
iGo wrote:
You may have found your answer already. The glaze looks like some sort of Tenmoku or Jian ware, here's some info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenmoku
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jian_ware
teatray wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:59 am
That's such a beautiful bowl, iGo. (Thanks for waking up the thread, bliss.) If you're ever in the mood for another photo session, I'd love to see more of it. (BTW, we seem to have similar tastes in board games as well as pottery.)

It's a style of Jian ware (Tenmoku/Tianmu) called hare's fur or rabbit's fur. Here's a Song dynasty original (12th century). I've seen descriptions distinguishing black hare's fur, blue hare's, and silver hare's fur. Seems you can find modern imitations at various prices in Japan, China, Taiwan, and, as I'm learning now, Korea. Here's an exquisite chawan by a famous Kyo-ware potter, Yoshinori Izumi (there are other items from this series of his, such as my most treasured teaware possession in the form of a sake cup; see also pedant's stunning images of his.) This is a perhaps somewhat kitschy but still engaging gilded example of a smaller (non-matcha) teacup from Taiwan, sold on pinkoi (no idea if it's actually worth that price). There are many others, incl. sub-$1 mass produced ware, as you can see in LeoFox's Instagram post.

Do you (or anybody else) know of a good source to obtain an authentic, handmade Korean tea cup in this style? I'm making a small collection, with a Taiwanese and a Mainland China version on the way per post. I think it would be cool to be able to serve 4 cups in the same style from 4 different countries.
Thank you for the reply @bliss and for the insightful comment @teatray I had seen your sake cup previously - it's beautiful, I am jealous!

I have seen replicas (of what is said to be classics?) on instagram but don't know how legitimate the seller really is. Does anyone have any experience with them and know anything behind these replicas/original pieces?
teatray

Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:19 pm

I've seen the seller mentioned a couple of times. Their page for the item is here. The original piece it purportedly replicates is this one. The bowl (Hare's Fur Tenmoku Tea Bowl in Green Glaze) is called 緑釉兎毫斑碗 or 蓼冷汁天目 on the Japanese version of the museum page (google shows many sites mentioning it).

Dunno about the price, it's mind-boggling. Maybe the author is a very accomplished master, but then again his bowl really doesn't look even a bit like the real Liao Leng Zhi Temoku :mrgreen:.
Anais Nin

Tue May 17, 2022 3:13 pm

I truly admire the works of Hong Seong-Il
And it’s so hard to get his pieces !
And I was fortunate enough to have one of his teapot
Glaze : Jinsa(Cinnabar)
It said , This series is in the shape of a tree with a lid handle swaying in the wind.
The title of the work was ‘Wind Traces’.

A view of the sunset setting on a hill with trees swaying in the wind by applying Jinsa(cinnamon) glaze to the body.
I wish I could have more of his unique pieces !
And I am so happy that I share this fascination with everyone here in this topic .
Attachments
35792820-069C-44F7-ABC8-8A5D41F75273.jpeg
35792820-069C-44F7-ABC8-8A5D41F75273.jpeg (217.34 KiB) Viewed 6497 times
These are by two Korean Potters , the cup is made by Kim Byeol-Hee ,it makes any tea colors stand out !<br />While The Hong Seong-Il tea pot in the glaze of cinnabar ( Jinsa) already speaks its own beauty and quirkiness
These are by two Korean Potters , the cup is made by Kim Byeol-Hee ,it makes any tea colors stand out !
While The Hong Seong-Il tea pot in the glaze of cinnabar ( Jinsa) already speaks its own beauty and quirkiness
E6B033A6-30D4-4F2A-ADEB-531E1B6A8C8A.jpeg (203.7 KiB) Viewed 6497 times
debunix

Tue May 24, 2022 9:06 pm

What a lovely tea session altogether
Janice

Tue May 31, 2022 2:07 pm

Spring is officially here for me despite the 90°+ heat as I received my first delivery of 2022 Chinese greens yesterday. I have this odd pot made by Seong-il that I purchased years ago from Tead Off on the old Tea Chat forum. I call it “odd”. because it was labeled a gaiwan. It’s perfect for brewing the long leaves of Tai Ping Hou Kui.

3844443D-4055-48C1-9163-1B94C8238C7C.jpeg
3844443D-4055-48C1-9163-1B94C8238C7C.jpeg (305.98 KiB) Viewed 6252 times
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue May 31, 2022 7:30 pm

Janice wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:07 pm
... I have this odd pot made by Seong-il that I purchased years ago from Tead Off on the old Tea Chat forum. I call it “odd”. because it was labeled a gaiwan. ...
It looks like a gaiwan to me, > it looks like a teapot surely. Looks pretty. Glazed inside?

(I have visited Teadoff several times for tea sessions & have seen Seong-il's work on his counter & shelves. I am not sure but think I never had the pleasure of any of them being used. I sometimes regret not buying a porcelain teapot that was unglazed inside. I have a feeling it might provide an influence that I would like (though there is no logical reason to believe this).)