Puerh Brooklyn: Nov 11th Exhibition & 14th Artist Talk with Petr Novak and Miroslava Randova

Victoria
Admin

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:20 pm

If you are in NYC
Puerh Brooklyn: Nov 14th, 2017 Artist Talk with Petr Novak and Miroslava Randova, potters from Czech Republic
http://www.puerhbrooklyn.com/monthly-schedule.html

Tuesday Nov 14th. 7 pm
Artist Talk with Petr Novak and Miroslava Randova, potters from Czech Republic
Limited. RSVP

As we will open the exhibition on November 11th at 6 PM EST in our gallery, we will check your requests on Sunday November 12th.

Catalogue of Petr Novak and Miroslava Randova
http://www.puerhbrooklyn.com/novakrando ... logue.html
debunix

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:27 am

Need to find a place to host something like this on the West Coast, and I'd be there in a heartbeat.
joelbct

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:02 am

Wow, I've heard his name mentioned before, but had never seen such nice Japan-style teaware made by a Westerner.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:19 am

joelbct wrote:
Wow, I've heard his name mentioned before, but had never seen such nice Japan-style teaware made by a Westerner.
Japanese/Taiwanese. He also got quite some inspiration from Taiwan as well. He came at least once and had an exhibition in Qiushan Tang, a taditional teahouse spin-off from Chunshui Tang, the inventors of the famous bubble tea! He even won a special mention award in the Yingge teapot competition.

Met him at the occasion, nice guy. He was with Andrezj Bero, a Polish potter who is at least as good, although he seems to get less credit.
Eastern Europe has a lot of very talented craftsmen with impeccable skills!
Victoria
Admin

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:19 am
joelbct wrote:
Japanese/Taiwanese. He also got quite some inspiration from Taiwan as well. He came at least once and had an exhibition in Qiushan Tang, a taditional teahouse spin-off from Chunshui Tang, the inventors of the famous bubble tea! He even won a special mention award in the Yingge teapot competition.

Met him at the occasion, nice guy. He was with Andrezj Bero, a Polish potter who is at least as good, although he seems to get less credit.
Eastern Europe has a lot of very talented craftsmen with impeccable skills!
The artisanal ware of these Czech and Polish potters really stands apart creating a distinct style.
Mmmm curious, did you mistakingly omit mentioning Miroslava Randova, a common gender oversight, or possibly you are not aware of her work yet? Her tea boats and kettles are very special and unique, so in case you have not seen them check them out. Her partner, Petr Novák, collaborates with her on cups, teapots, caddies... so they are a team with these wares.

Also, Bok not sure if you noticed that the Puerh Brooklyn teahouse has a monthly Global tea Hut gathering, practicing The Way of Tea. It seems Wude, aka Aaron Fisher, has a wide reach. Interestingly, one owner of Puerh Brooklyn, Grippo, is an Argentine artist and fashion designer, and his husband is co-owner. The lower level of the shop acts as both his workshop and exhibit space. Nice crossover.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:43 pm
The artisanal ware of these Czech and Polish potters really stands apart creating a distinct style.
Mmmm curious, did you mistakingly omit mentioning Miroslava Randova, a common gender oversight, or possibly you are not aware of her work yet? Her tea boats and kettles are very special and unique, so in case you have not seen them check them out. Her partner, Petr Novák, collaborates with her on cups, teapots, caddies... so they are a team with these wares.

Also, Bok not sure if you noticed that the Puerh Brooklyn teahouse has a monthly Global tea Hut gathering, practicing The Way of Tea. It seems Wude, aka Aaron Fisher, has a wide reach. Interestingly, one owner of Puerh Brooklyn, Grippo, is an Argentine artist and fashion designer, and his husband is co-owner. The lower level of the shop acts as both his workshop and exhibit space. Nice crossover.
I did not meet Miroslava at that event, she was not with him in Taiwan, but you are right I should have mentioned her as well! Apologies, no ill intentions! At that exhibition only his work was shown, no tea boats or jars from her, have not seen those in person yet.

Seem Petr is also part of the Global Teahut clan, that might explain the connection. There was a little group of foreigners present at that gathering, some US tea guys and also the guy from Klasek Tea (for Europeans a good source for tea). Their site also carries some more Czech and Eastern European potters, not yet as known among the international tea crowd. Jan Pavlek and Jiri Duchek. Seems though as if they all use the same clays and glazes, similarities arise.

For some of their work I am not so sure how well they work with greener Oolongs, from the look of the clay I suspect they mute flavors quite a bit! Puerh might be a better fit.
debunix

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 pm
For some of their work I am not so sure how well they work with greener Oolongs, from the look of the clay I suspect they mute flavors quite a bit! Puerh might be a better fit.
The loveliest thing about Petr's work for me has been the variety of different glazes and clays and types of brewing vessels, so that I adore my morning sencha in an unglazed iron-rich clay pot, enjoy my high-fired oolongs and puers in unglazed pots, but have a selection of fully glazed inside (and sometimes outside) pots for light greens or jasmine or mixed herb teas.

And: I have seen some very fine work from the other potters mentioned, and I'm still looking forward to finding a first piece to purchase from one of the others. So far, though, the pieces of theirs I like best from darjeeling.cz from each of them seem to be equally popular with others, and are snapped up fast.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:25 pm

debunix wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:40 pm
And: I have seen some very fine work from the other potters mentioned, and I'm still looking forward to finding a first piece to purchase from one of the others. So far, though, the pieces of theirs I like best from darjeeling.cz from each of them seem to be equally popular with others, and are snapped up fast.
They are all on Instagram, maybe you can contact them directly and set up an order?

I have some doubts on the Jiri Duchek pots though, to my understanding of pot geometry(according to Chinese standards), the spouts do not look right.
That is the problem with some Western potters, they do not understand enough of how the wares are used, so they unknowingly omit some details. Sometimes I see pots on Pinterest and can tell with one look how that pot is never going to make decent tea… Not talking about aforementioned potters though!