Dong Ding "Blind" Sampler and Live Tasting

FloatingLeaves
Vendor

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Hello Tea Forum,

We're doing another blind tasting session, this time it's four different Dong Ding oolongs by popular demand. Three were roasted by different people, and the two that share the same roaster are different cultivars. I pasted the text from our site below so you can see more detailed info there :)

-Noah
Floating Leaves Tea

What?
Another mystery session this time focused on Dong Ding. There will be four different oolong teas all grown in Dong Ding Plateau of Lugu, Taiwan. You will receive 16 grams of each tea. We've had a lot of interest in doing one of these blind tasting sessions for Dong Ding, so here you go!

When?
Purchase the sampler now through the date of the live session. We will broadcast on IG and FB Live on October 29th.

Why
We want to give an unbiased look at Dong Ding oolongs spanning three different roasters (all with very distinct styles) and throw in a non-traditional DD cultivar for fun. We hope this can deepen your appreciation of what Dong Ding has to offer.

How?
Purchase the sampler here, and taste the teas AT LEAST TWICE if you can. Once before the live session to get acquainted with the teas, and once during the session to have a more connected experience of drinking tea together.

Also, if you have a local tea meetup, club or group, or if you're trying to start one, do consider sharing this session with those people. Drinking tea together really amplifies so much of what tea can do.

The Teas (16 grams each) :
>Charcoal Roasted Dong Ding from our Teacher, Mr Zhan

>Charcoal Roasted Dong Ding from our 'Little' Teacher, Mr Lai

>Traditional A Dong Ding from Mr and Mrs Su

>Little Iron Bush (TGY) Dong Ding from Mr and Mrs Su
t-curious

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Sounds interesting. What time will this be broadcast on IG?
FloatingLeaves
Vendor

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:09 pm

It will be broadcast at 11:30 AM on the 29th, but it will stay for 24 hours. And FB will stay forever.
FloatingLeaves
Vendor

Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:28 pm

For those that didn't get a chance to see the live reveal, I'll list them here.

SPOILER ALERT *****

A - Little Iron Bush (Farmers Su)

B - Mr Lai Charcoal Roast

C - Mr Zhan Charcoal Roast

D - Traditional A (Farmers Su)

Thanks for playing! This was a really fun one for us.
Let me know if you have any ideas for more blind tastings in the future. We're planning on a GABA Oolong version, probably for November if the tea arrives on time (it was sent by boat a couple months ago). Someone had the idea to do Taiwan stored Puer. Anyway, look forward to more of these with you guys.

Happy Tea Drinking,
Noah
Zealousy

Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:47 pm

I'm surprised! I thought B was the most different and unique, with a slight sour note I'm more familiar with in tieguanyin. Thank you for this tasting box! Looking forward to the next one!
Bok
Vendor

Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:24 pm

Slight sour? In the case of Dongding that would suggest humidity got into it, or not so well roasted.