China: Tea Club

kersjeberg
New user

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:46 am

Dear Tea-lovers,

Recently I was consulting a book about teahouses in China, a book called 'Neo-Chinese Style Tea Houses' (published by ArtPower). It is a design book, mainly for architects as it contains project names, style typologies, designers and plenty of photographs of the tea houses. I was confused by something else, however. And maybe this is the appropriate place to ask the question.

In the book I came across a lot of interesting names of the tea-houses, such as:
* Lu Zi Yun Tea Club (in Fuzhou)
* Sunyard Art Club (in Hangzhou)
* Shui Zhu Gong Fu Tea Club (in Fujian)
* Seven Cups of Tea Club (in Liaoning)

What strikes me is the use of the word 'club' in the names of the tea-houses. Translations are always a difficult thing between Chinese and English. (Once I was in a village in China, at a restaurant that said 'Chicken' as the name of the restaurant, but they never served chicken but something else. I found out via my translator that they simply put their Chinese character in a translation machine and 'Chicken' appeared, but it is not what the Chinese character said).

So, my question is quite simple: how do I need to interpret the idea of 'club' in these names. Are they simple 'Google-Translate' translations that translates a Chinese word simply in the english word 'club', but is there a different meaning behind it (e.g. as 'exclusive' or 'we are only serving this or that tea from our region')? Or should I indeed interpret it as a 'club' with subscriptions and a place for members only?

Would be pleased with someone who could enlighten me here.

Kirsten :)
pedant
Admin

Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:13 pm

Welcome, @kersjeberg!

Is that book in Chinese or English? Wondering which character(s) they're using for "club".
aet
Vendor

Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:56 am

club in China is usually used for bars , pubs. Tea house is the probably the closest translation. There are also the Tea houses where people get together and play cards or mahjong.
kersjeberg
New user

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:32 am

Thank you @pedant and @aet for your replies.

@pendant: the book is published in English (original language according to the details), but written by Chinese authors, based in China and published by a Chinese publishing house. It is thus a purely Chinese product, but written in an English language.

@aet: that is an interesting remark, saying that clubs are mostly bars or pubs. Does this implies that it is open for everyone and not members-only?

Great Forum folks! Love the information, learnt already quite a lot!
Kersje!
aet
Vendor

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:04 am

I can' actually talk for all China, but only for Kunming where I live and have been to few bars ;-)
There is an expression in Chinese " ju le bu " , which is phonetically translation of " club " , not the meaning ( foreign words are translated like that ). This is used for the pubs, bars but also can be used as for the membership clubs, like tennis club, golf club etc. I suppose saying in Chinese " cha ju le bu " not going to be grammatically wrong, but never heard of such a expression. For those purposes words like "quan " - circle or "tuan" - group , are used.
I'm not sure if I exactly understood your aim of getting the answer. "how do I need to interpret the idea of 'club' in these names" ...are you looking for a Chinese expression for Tea Club ( with or without the actual premises ) where membership is required ?
Some shops make those groups out of their customers , where membership is paid and you get some benefits when purchasing their products , free samples, tasting sessions etc. They call it 茶店会员。But it's related to the 茶店 - tea shop . I don't know how non profitable and independent organization set by purely enthusiast would called. Maybe 茶叶团 。 The ones on wechat groups have some long names like 茶源拉祜茶叶交流群...but those are set again with some vendor who is trying to push their products.