Pu'er shops in Tainan?

Travel logs and questions
oeroe

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:24 am

Hello all,

I'm currently staying in Taipei for following six months or so. I love tea, pu'er especially. I speak Chinese well enough to talk about teas and tea lore in teashops, but Chinese language teaforums are above my reach. This is my second time staying in Taiwan like this, previously I was staying in the East Coast.

I was googling around where are the pu'er places of Taipei, and after finding some clues, I also stumbled into a mention that many pu'er heads of Taipei head south to Tainan to buy tea. So then I tried to google about places in Tainan, without really finding anything besides YQH.

So, are there any more knowledgeable people here, who might be willing to give me some tips? I'd like to do a scouting/sampling trip to South, then maybe later return to buy some more. So, pu'er shops in Southern Taiwan? Are there certain streets or districts in Tainan/Kaohsioung which would be good for pu'er hunting? Or teapot hunting? Are there tea houses to visit? Tea people to meet?
Bok
Vendor

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 am

Welcome to Taiwan :D

Most tea is cheaper in Tainan, Kaohsiung is already more expensive.
There are no specific tea shop cluster areas in Tainan, it is random shops spread all over the place.

Prices have increased quite a bit, so I heard a lot of people stopped buying... and enjoy their stock instead.

One place I know where you might at least get some idea is the teahouse from Fengcha. The owner is sort of a local tea authority, complete with pyjama and funny hat. Kidding, he is a nice guy. They have a bubble tea chain but also a small shop next to it: No. 8, Park Rd., West Central Dist., Tainan City700

A teahouse from the same owner is just a few steps down the road. Can not find the address now, but ask the bubble tea shop and they will know. Also sells some teaware, but some is fake, so beware.

I always see some puerh shops when driving, but never paid attention as I do not like Puerh that much... will see with some of my friends for other adresses.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:50 am

Chinese for Fengcha: 奉茶