Tea tourism in Yunnan

Travel logs and questions
aet
Vendor

Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:47 pm

I'm having lately discussion with my friend from Menghai about possibilities for foreign tea tourism.
From the posts here , and anywhere else , I can see that Yunnan is not that popular ( or just people are not sharing unless T-biz posting on their blog as part of the marketing ....like me ;-D ) .
I understand that Taiwan or Sri Lanka are more appealing as the tea excursion can be combined with beach so that makes it like Sun Sea Tea travel , therefore more justifying expenses.
I believe also the one of the reason is that drinking fresh made oolongs or FFDJ is more enjoyable than some bitter astringent fresh sheng ;-)
I'm also aware of the fact that most of the people doing tea sourcing trip , they want to do it independently and preferably with some local person who helps for free or just for a little something. Before covid, every spring someone would come to us having a tea with tons of questions how, where , when..etc. ;-) then took a journey to Xbanna on their own.
There are some T- tours for locals but they are like bus of 30 people and visiting places like Jingmai , LBZ , LME etc. Last trip to LBZ we met like 10 big buses full of people wearing same T-shirts and hats ( that's how they dress up their tourists so be sure nobody will be lost ;-)
Our idea is to bring much smaller groups ( up to 4 people ) and to less known , touristic places ( more authentic ) . I'd probably just include LBZ for showing that bizzare as an example of puerh hype ;-)
Maybe visiting some small tea factory as an educational introduction to processing and pressing.
At this stage it is just in the head and talk so I'm putting up together some numbers to see if it's feasible or just not worth the hassle.

My questions :
1) if you done such a tour , where, when and how many days?
2) How much you paid ( not flight tickets incl. ) and what was included ( like hotel, food , local transport )?
3) what was the program ( like what did u see, visit ) ?
4) what would you add to that / improve ?
5) did you buy any tea ( if convenient to say , what tea for what price range ) ?
6) was it worth it or waste of time and money?

Many Chinese travel agencies ( not only T-tours ) push their tourists to purchase stuff on places they visit. Some videos leaking on Tick Tock like when tour guide in the bus saying that everyone has to spend like 2-3k CNY . I certainly don't want to be doing this concept but knowing what people generally are willing to spend for tea will help me to think whcih places suitable to visit to increase possiblity of the purchase ( not for my profit but the farmers who we visit ). I don't want to take any cuts from sales neither want to promise to farmers having some business if we visit.

If not convenient to share such an information publicly , please do not hesitate and PM.
Randy the Intern

Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:06 am

aet wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:47 pm
I'm having lately discussion with my friend from Menghai about possibilities for foreign tea tourism.
From the posts here , and anywhere else , I can see that Yunnan is not that popular ( or just people are not sharing unless T-biz posting on their blog as part of the marketing ....like me ;-D ) .
I understand that Taiwan or Sri Lanka are more appealing as the tea excursion can be combined with beach so that makes it like Sun Sea Tea travel , therefore more justifying expenses.
I believe also the one of the reason is that drinking fresh made oolongs or FFDJ is more enjoyable than some bitter astringent fresh sheng ;-)
I'm also aware of the fact that most of the people doing tea sourcing trip , they want to do it independently and preferably with some local person who helps for free or just for a little something. Before covid, every spring someone would come to us having a tea with tons of questions how, where , when..etc. ;-) then took a journey to Xbanna on their own.
There are some T- tours for locals but they are like bus of 30 people and visiting places like Jingmai , LBZ , LME etc. Last trip to LBZ we met like 10 big buses full of people wearing same T-shirts and hats ( that's how they dress up their tourists so be sure nobody will be lost ;-)
Our idea is to bring much smaller groups ( up to 4 people ) and to less known , touristic places ( more authentic ) . I'd probably just include LBZ for showing that bizzare as an example of puerh hype ;-)
Maybe visiting some small tea factory as an educational introduction to processing and pressing.
At this stage it is just in the head and talk so I'm putting up together some numbers to see if it's feasible or just not worth the hassle.

My questions :
1) if you done such a tour , where, when and how many days?
2) How much you paid ( not flight tickets incl. ) and what was included ( like hotel, food , local transport )?
3) what was the program ( like what did u see, visit ) ?
4) what would you add to that / improve ?
5) did you buy any tea ( if convenient to say , what tea for what price range ) ?
6) was it worth it or waste of time and money?

Many Chinese travel agencies ( not only T-tours ) push their tourists to purchase stuff on places they visit. Some videos leaking on Tick Tock like when tour guide in the bus saying that everyone has to spend like 2-3k CNY . I certainly don't want to be doing this concept but knowing what people generally are willing to spend for tea will help me to think whcih places suitable to visit to increase possiblity of the purchase ( not for my profit but the farmers who we visit ). I don't want to take any cuts from sales neither want to promise to farmers having some business if we visit.

If not convenient to share such an information publicly , please do not hesitate and PM.
I just want to drop my support to this idea. This is exactly the kind of experience I'd want if I were to make a trip there. I hope you can develop this further.
pedant
Admin

Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:46 am

i have not done such a tour but am watching with interest
Bourder

Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:59 am

I wouldn't push people to buy tea (or anything). I'd rather prepare a sample pack with a jin or so tea and include the price in the cost of the trip. Of course, the tourists should be able to buy some more if they want. And the tea should be good for the price, many famous places are rip offs. That way they can avoid disappointments and you can support the farms without looking pushy.

The amount of tea sold per person shouldn't be too big. If they are walking around with a heavy backpack it's not good. It's another thing when you come to China just to source tea. Then you can fill a suitcase with tea and go back straight to your place.
aet
Vendor

Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:13 pm

Bourder wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:59 am
I wouldn't push people to buy tea (or anything). I'd rather prepare a sample pack with a jin or so tea and include the price in the cost of the trip. Of course, the tourists should be able to buy some more if they want. And the tea should be good for the price, many famous places are rip offs. That way they can avoid disappointments and you can support the farms without looking pushy.

The amount of tea sold per person shouldn't be too big. If they are walking around with a heavy backpack it's not good. It's another thing when you come to China just to source tea. Then you can fill a suitcase with tea and go back straight to your place.
I agree with with push sales. It's not ethical even in China , let alone for western tourists.
Like there is a woman here in Kunming who is trying to do some tea education for foreigners. What she does is basically that stupid gongfu ceremony and then dragging them through her friend's tea shops with hope making some sales and get her cut. At the very beginning of our biz , I spent one afternoon with her , so talking from the experience.
Sample pack might be a neat thing to do alright , but "prepared tea" is not the concept I'd like to do. It should be rather discovery than tour. Means we get to some village and might get some tea or not. Of course I want to be prepared with destinations to increase possibility of "we get" , because that would be also the primary interest of the people paying for such a trip.
Of course part of the trip is the tea markets as well, so for sure any tea lover wouldn't come back home with empty hands.
With amount tea is not a problem. What we can't load into the car, we can ship to our warehouse in Kunming. If it doesn't fit into backpack or suitcase on the way home, we can ship it. We have an online shop and contract with China Post so can do international shipping no problem.
I can also press it into the cakes / bricks / balls / tuos , wrap it with a client's custom designed wrapper and then send it.