Travelling to New York City

Travel logs and questions
Noonie

Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:44 am

I’ll be in NYC for work in June and I have a little under two days to explore. I’ve been there twice before. Last time I visited some museums. This time I want to walk around more and do some tea exploration!

So far on my list I have: Ippodo, Cha-An, 29B, Te Company, Tea Drunk and Radiance. I have a Sunday/Monday so have planned around their hours.

The middle three are close together, so I’ll probably end up ‘tea drunk’. I’m not looking to buy tea to take home or teaware, just to drink a lot of tea and chill.

Two questions for those familiar with Manhattan:
1) Any other cant-miss tea shops?
2) In the areas around these shops, anything else with seeing?

Food wise, I’m planning a sushi lunch at least once, and may grab a nibble from a couple of the tea shops. I like live music and may hit up a jazz bar (for a late dinner if available).
ShuShu

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:31 am

Noonie wrote:
I’ll be in NYC for work in June and I have a little under two days to explore. I’ve been there twice before. Last time I visited some museums. This time I want to walk around more and do some tea exploration!

So far on my list I have: Ippodo, Cha-An, 29B, Te Company, Tea Drunk and Radiance. I have a Sunday/Monday so have planned around their hours.

The middle three are close together, so I’ll probably end up ‘tea drunk’. I’m not looking to buy tea to take home or teaware, just to drink a lot of tea and chill.

Food wise, I’m planning a sushi lunch at least once, and may grab a nibble from a couple of the tea shops. I like live music and may hit up a jazz bar (for a late dinner if available).
I somehwat prefer TSHop to TeaDrunk and there is also Floating Mountain which is nice. But I don't go to these tea places very much. (@Shine Magical here is more familier and maybe can help better)
To taste good tea I usually go to LC Tea Trading in Chinatown. They have the best yancha in the area, though communication is somewhat challenging and only cash. :-)
Shine Magical

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:22 am

After exploring most of the NYC tea shops, the ones that I think are best are T Shop and Te Company. :D
Hopefully the owners will be back from their tea sourcing trips by the time you're here.
If you like durian you can visit NYC Durian if you go to T Shop or LC Tea Trading.

29B is also nice but I find it too expensive for what you get. But at least the extra expense is somewhat justified as opposed to what you get at Tea Drunk.
teaformeplease

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:50 pm

You're to-do list is pretty spot on. I'd also add T Shop:

https://www.tshopny.com/

If you are a fan of matcha, I definitely recommend a quick visit to Setsugekka:

https://www.setsugekkany.com
Victoria
Admin

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:36 pm

Te Company has delicious food prepared by Portuguese chef Frederico, husband of Elena Liao the owner. The menu changes weekly. A while back I posted a few food picts here; viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13&p=2221&hilit=Te+Company#p2221
Manttea

Sun May 06, 2018 12:52 am

Noonie wrote:

I remember visiting Cha-an,
had an oolong I've now forgotten the name of, but the taste stuck with me throughout the day, it was really quite nice. Would definitely go again
iGo

Mon May 21, 2018 3:37 pm

If you have a bit of time and can handle a trip out to Brooklyn, the Orchid Tea House is worthy of your attention.