Tea Varietals

Guy Juan

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 pm

So it appears there are only 2 varietals of tea...Camellia sinensis and camellia sinensis assamica?

I’ve been thinking there were multiple varietals like with coffe, apples etc.

Does this mean when seeking out teas you really are only looking at growing conditions, harvest conditions and processing?
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:32 am

You need to look at tea cultivars, of which there are a LOT!
Guy Juan

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 am

Bok wrote:
So looking at cultivars...would that only help if you are familiar with a specific cultivar? For instance, “x-cultivar produces some very nice tea for oolong process”?
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:49 am

Guy Juan wrote:
Bok wrote:
So looking at cultivars...would that only help if you are familiar with a specific cultivar? For instance, “x-cultivar produces some very nice tea for oolong process”?
Kind of. You might use info like X-tea is normally made with y-cultivar for best results. But that can always change and is not really accurate. Some cultivars are traditional, others recent creations to adapt to specific climates or have larger yields etc. It is complicated and there are no easy answers.

Probably best to ignore this info first and let yourself guide by your taste buds instead.
In the end a cultivar is just another part of the story of any given tea, given to you by the seller. It might be true, it might not. Almost no way for you to be sure in the beginning.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:29 am

Bok wrote:

Probably best to ignore this info first and let yourself guide by your taste buds instead.
In the end a cultivar is just another part of the story of any given tea, given to you by the seller. It might be true, it might not. Almost no way for you to be sure in the beginning.
This advice seems to have been ignored by the person to whom you are giving it (more than once I believe). Perhaps a time frame would help. "Sample for ___ days, _____ weeks; then get obsessive about details," for example.

Perhaps a botanist is part of our forum to explain genus, family, whatever we were introduced to in high school biology… or, one can go to an encyclopedia or library. :o
Victoria
Admin

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Yes to above comments. Reading through TeaForum member posts and using the Search function is a great way to have many questions answered. Just one recent example -if you want to go cultivar crazy dive into Thés du Japon site, but there is more than just cultivar to consider;
Japanese Tea Cultivars
Guy Juan

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:02 pm
Yes to above comments. Reading through TeaForum member posts and using the Search function is a great way to have many questions answered. Just one recent example -if you want to go cultivar crazy dive into Thés du Japon site, but there is more than just cultivar to consider;
Japanese Tea Cultivars
Well I wasn’t really looking for 1 answer to 1 question. Although when I searched for info on brewing Darjeeling green or black gong fu style I found nothing. But I am more looking for something like: “2 species of coffee. Arabica and Robusta. Robusta is mostly sought after for high caffein and is not as desirable for taste as Arabica is. There are at least dozens of varieties. Columbia’s are generally your typical, classic, chocolate, caramel flavor notes low to medium acidity, well balanced cup. People seek higher altitude coffees for more complex acidity such as blueberry (ethiopia heirloom) or raisin (Kenya, SL28 & SL34). A good roaster who buys excellent lots and knows how to roast coffee is.xxx.” Looking for this... but for tea. Maybe it’s different, that’s why I’m here.
Guy Juan

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:29 am
Bok wrote:

This advice seems to have been ignored by the person to whom you are giving it (more than once I believe). Perhaps a time frame would help. "Sample for ___ days, _____ weeks; then get obsessive about details," for example.

Perhaps a botanist is part of our forum to explain genus, family, whatever we were introduced to in high school biology… or, one can go to an encyclopedia or library. :o
Don’t reply unless you have something to offer. If you are just looking for attention please go start your own thread.
Guy Juan

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:27 pm

Bok wrote:
Guy Juan wrote:
Bok wrote:
Kind of. You might use info like X-tea is normally made with y-cultivar for best results. But that can always change and is not really accurate. Some cultivars are traditional, others recent creations to adapt to specific climates or have larger yields etc. It is complicated and there are no easy answers.

So in that case it seems going in blind is the way it has to be done so to speak. It’s similar with coffee but I think it’s easier with coffee because the info does indicate quite a bit to flavor profile. For instance... I could take a good guess at what a washed SL28 grown 4,500ft in volcanic soil in Kenya then roasted to just before 2nd crack would taste like. Of course there would be the little surprise here or there. That’s the fun!
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:15 pm

Guy Juan wrote:

Don’t reply unless you have something to offer. If you are just looking for attention please go start your own thread.
Word of advice, as a newcomer to this forum, I would not be rude to long term members of the community without knowing them... and their writing style.
Guy Juan

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:51 pm

Bok wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:15 pm
Guy Juan wrote:

Word of advice, as a newcomer to this forum, I would not be rude to long term members of the community without knowing them... and their writing style.
This is a forum to discuss tea, yes? That’s what the members should be doing. Not offering nonsensical statements that contribute nothing to the topic while attempting to throw jabs. I don’t care how long someone has been a member. Without newcomers any forum will fizzle up and die eventually. Newcomers can bring new fresh ideas, different perspectives, and keep the forums active and healthy. We are here to discuss tea, not play schoolyard forum fights.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:38 pm

@Guy Juan good luck with your attitude.
Dresden

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:52 pm

Image . . . Image
teaformeplease

Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:24 am

The same problems that occurred on TeaChat exist here as well. There are many who feel they are gatekeepers, though no one gave them that authority. Why they need to be condescending instead of helpful is beyond me.

OP: Camellia Sinensis var. Sinensis is smaller leafed and prefers cooler climates. Camellia Sinensis var. Assamica is larger leafed and is generally found in warmer clients. Within each of those, there are many cultivated varieties. Assamica will generally have a more robust taste.

It is my understanding that tea is a bit less cut and dry than coffee. Everything is in the processing so leaves from any variety can be processed into any of the categories of tea. Just as some apples are better for baking, some varieties are better for making oolong.

Until fairly recently it hasn't been standard practice for tea companies to tell consumers what variety was used. That is still the case for most tea companies in the U.S. For that reason the differences that cultivars make in the cup are not really common knowledge.

You might find these resources helpful:

http://www.teagenius.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=113

https://teaepicure.com/tea-varieties-cultivars/
pedant
Admin

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:26 am

let's all be friends, ok? a little patience with each other goes a long way.