Does conventional tea taste better?

LuckyMe

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:39 pm

As someone who strives to eat clean, I also seek out teas that are sustainably/organically grown whenever possible. I've heard that conventionally grown teas, specifically Japanese green tea and oolongs, are often pumped with nitrogen fertilizer and other chemicals to give the tea a richer flavor and more umami. Organically grown tea supposedly tastes lighter because it doesn't get the extra help.

For those who've drank both types of tea, can you weigh in on this? Do conventionally grown teas actually taste better than an organic tea of comparable quality and how big is the flavor difference?
pantry

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:06 pm

I’ve heard the same from a sustainable tea grower in Hawaii as well. That nitrogen gives the umami flavor. All competition green tea in japan are doped with N (much like elite athletes in the sports world I suppose).

I haven’t tried organic Japanese tea yet—haven’t bought more Japanese tea since I became aware of that fact. However, I think I’ll be okay with weaker umami/flavor. Assuming that tea was grown organically in Rikyū’s time, if it’s good enough for him then, it’s more than enough for me :)

On the other hand, I heard it’s almost impossible to get pesticide-free Long Jing (hotter climate attracts more insects). If anyone have more info I’d like to know !
pedant
Admin

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:04 pm

there are different definitions of 'organic'. in the US, the USDA defines what can be labeled as such.

at any rate, organic generally does not mean pesticide-free or fertilizer-free. you can pump tea plants up with organic, nitrogen-rich fertilizer and achieve the same effect as injecting ammonia into the ground.

if you want to try fertilizer-free production (or just sparingly-fertilized), i suggest looking for teas specifically sold as that. ime, organic senchas are umami bombs just the same as their 'conventional' counterparts. they just tend to cost more.

as far as noticing a difference, there is for sure a big one. i was talking with @teasecret about this a while back.
i know hojo has a couple japanese greens grown 'traditionally' with little to no fertilizer. imo worth checking out if you want to try something different.

ps: the biggest benefit of nitrogen fertilizer is that it makes plants grow way faster and therefore you get more crop yield.
the umami bomb aspect is kind of a secondary effect, but now it's strongly associated with japanese greens. most consumers expect and demand it.
d.manuk

Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:04 pm

I was under the impression that most teas in general use a lot of nitrogen fertilizer and that pretty much 99% of Japanese green teas make heavy use of it.
Dresden

Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:25 am

pedant wrote:
at any rate, organic generally does not mean pesticide-free or fertilizer-free. you can pump tea plants up with organic, nitrogen-rich fertilizer and achieve the same effect as injecting ammonia into the ground.
This. Lots of organic farmers fertilize. They just use organic fertilizers. Usually containing composted plant or animal waste, powdered minerals, or some other source of naturally occurring, water-soluble nitrogen.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:28 am

Years ago I wrote about a tasting session at Monsoon Tea in Chiangmai, Thailand. I had tasted about a dozen of their teas. Some of their tea is gathered from old trees growing in the wild; some tea is planted in the wild among other things growing there in a way that will not disturb the natural ecology; some tea is from plants growing in small cleared areas surrounded well by what grows without interference by man. Monsoon's natural & organic tea lacks flavor & is very expensive. The principal is such a good man, a serious & devoted man who is not greedy; so, it is sad (for me, at least) that most people would not like such weakly flavored tea & that it is so expensive. The tea from very old, totally wild trees was complex & unique. I was ready to buy some until told the price.

The principal (whose name I cannot remember) said that Prada (the fashion house) planned to sell his tea. I don't know if the project developed.

Some ideals such as sustainability do not equate to lack of flavor. Totally avoiding fertilizer, disturbing land, etc., seem to lead to very high prices &/or tea that few people would want to bother to prepare & drink.
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:02 am

Dresden wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:25 am
pedant wrote:
This. Lots of organic farmers fertilize. They just use organic fertilizers. Usually containing composted plant or animal waste, powdered minerals, or some other source of naturally occurring, water-soluble nitrogen.
I deal with one organic grower who uses no fertilizer (or pesticides) whatsoever in her garden. Yield is very low but quality...